Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No reports as of yet from our own imbedded journalist, so I'll start this thing.

It looks like David is shooting comfortably against TGO in Production Div, although Rob's right on the heals of the Production prince.

Stages 15,16 and 17

Latest weather report from Pasa Park HERE.

Looks like mid 90's for the duration.

The above USPSA link now works.

Edited by Erik Warren

Just for info, Dave Sevigny has won 8 out of 9 stages. Needless to say, he's shooting perfect. I think he's only dropped about 30 points, total. Rob isn't shooting horrible, Dave's just shooting that good. If he keeps this up, he could win with the divisions combined. Guess for top 5 out of the Production "super" squad:

Dave S.

Rob L.

Angus H.

Erik L. or Dave O.

As for the L10 results, Todd is basically in the same boat as Dave in Production. Everyone (including me), except for Frank Garcia, is not doing too well. Just a guess, but here's my guess for the top 5 out of the shooters in our squad:

Todd J

Frank G. or Taran B.

Mike V. or Max M.

There are surely some sleepers out there that are going to push the losers like me down even furter, but we'll find out when it's all over. As for the important position(1st), all Dave and Todd have to do is cruise.

Guess who's winning revolver....

Disgusted,

Phil

Oh, by the way, these are guesses as of the end of the second day. Who knows what could happen tomorrow. I figure if I can win every stage by some unrealistic time, I could be in contention for 2nd!

Fingers crossed,

Phil

Thanks for the update, Phil.

Rudi is beating Jerry like a red-headed stepchild, right? :)

I changed TDean's link in his post... the URL was bad. Also, at this moment, there aren't any results there anyway. That will probably change.

There are surely some sleepers out there that are going to push the losers like me down even furter, but we'll find out when it's all over.

Yeah, Phil only came in 4th Lim-10.

As for the important position(1st), all Dave and Todd have to do is cruise.

Y'know, I said something like that to Dave Sevigny on the last stage, and he said, "I like to push it right til the end." And he did. And he won.

thread drift thread drift...

Fgn was a cool match with professional execution and planning. Scheduling & squadding was much better than the Rgn last year. Stages were mostly *hard work*, nothing very fancy except the dark house stage, but very well done overall.

Rules are rules, and if we don't enforce them at the Nationals, where then? Rules can be silly, too, and then they should be changed (but still enforced until then)...

Big news is of course by how much the victor in Prod beat TGO (100% vs 94%), and by how much they ruled the rest of the division (the third had only an A class score left, 82%, wow!).

Todd was of course expected to beat everyone in L10, and he met the expectation (again, 100% vs. 94%).

Lotsa BE folks out there, best finish (I think...) by Phil Strader (4th in L10, congrats!). Met all the Norris's (if they'd stop missing, they'd all be a threat!), and Gil, good crowd (sorry if I forgot someone else, as I say lotsa BE folks..).

My first big match with the Para LDA in Prod, not all went well, but I had fun. Boy, that Sevigny beat me by 32 %, hard to accept that I'm that behind.... On the good side gun & vision worked flawlessly, only one mike in the entire match, but those steel mikes that I had to make up killed my match :angry: stuff to work on...

You are right, Detlef. Back to the match, the stages were pretty good, the weather was pretty hot, and the shooters were just a great bunch to be around. I don't understand the big time span between shoot-off and awards/prize table, and there seemed to be a lot of down time somedays, but if you were shooting you were grinning.

I see our very own IPSC G34 was high Junior in Production.

Team Sand Captain was 3rd overall Production and High B (WTF? that M card is coming mister!!!)

Flex - 33'rd in Limited 10 and 2nd B

S. Anderson - 18th Production, 4th A

Patrick Sweeny - 3rd Revolver, 2nd A

I'm sure there are others I've overlooked, sorry...

Where was The Burner?

Big news is of course by how much the victor in Prod beat TGO (100% vs 94%), and by how much they ruled the rest of the division (the third had only an A class score left, 82%, wow!).

Yeah, it was some unknown B-class sand bagger who shot that 82% A-class score behind Sevigny and Leatham ---- and ahead of shooters like Dave Olhasso and Erik Lund. And the big question on Friday was "Who the (blank) is Matthew Mink?" Why our very own soon to be A-class Team Sand Captain.....

Way to go Matt!

Mink...won the Production shoot-offs and 3rd place in the match (behind David S. & TGO) !!! Awesome.

On the getting bumped to Open...that just sucks. Dumb rule...I heard that Voight wants to see that it is chnaged (and he is on the pistol rule commitee). Of course, he couldn't do anything to change the written rule at the match...nor could the match directors and RO staff.

Matt Trout (speedy GM) shot with us. He got bumped to Open on the 11 in the LAMR mag gig too. I think his came from the fact that he just smoked the stage...fastest run of the match...with a transition/make-up. The RO thought he must have fired 12...he didn't. :(

Matt was bumped to Open (not DQ'ed...he could still shoot for "no score"). Matt took it pretty well. He ended up stoking the mags up to max capacity and blazing away for fun the rest of the match. It was pretty cool to watch him double those windmill targets...on the move!!! :o

TJ had a front row seat...as he literally watched Taran Bulter beat him in the L10 shoot-off final. TJ reloaded and indexed to the stop-popper...noticed that Taran was having some kind of trouble...so instead of shooting, he looked over and watched as Taran fumbled a mag into the gun. Then, Taran pounded the stop-popper to the ground before TJ...forcing a third heat. Taran won the third heat to take the shoot-offs.

Cool stuff.

TJ had a front row seat...as he literally watched Taran Bulter beat him in the L10 shoot-off final. TJ reloaded and indexed to the stop-popper...noticed that Taran was having some kind of trouble...so instead of shooting, he looked over and watched as Taran fumbled a mag into the gun. Then, Taran pounded the stop-popper to the ground before TJ...forcing a third heat. Taran won the third heat to take the shoot-offs.

Cool stuff.

TJ......

Hamming it up.

Thanks!!

I had the most fun ever at the back to back 3gun/FGN's. I got to meet a lot of BE'ers and other people that don't hang out on the forums. It was great meeting everyone from this forum. It was also great to meet Dave Sevigny himself. I found he was very polite and humble, not a common combination in this sport. He was smokin during the match, I think I only caught him on 3 or 4 stages, the rest of them I was not even in the ballpark. :blink:

If I missed anybody that hangs out here, next time we cross paths don't hesitate to come and introduce yourself.

Oh yeah, and Kyle, I'm really itching to see those videos you shot at the Shootoff's! I have already seen two other ones from different angles, and I would like to see what you shot.

Oh yeah, and Kyle, I'm really itching to see those videos you shot at the Shootoff's! I have already seen two other ones from different angles, and I would like to see what you shot.

So do the rest of us, so post them.

Please :D

Yesterday, while waiting for the flight home in the St. Louis airport, I had plenty of time to reflect upon the FGN match. It was probably the toughest Production match I've ever shot. Several stages had no-shoots/ hard cover up against the A-zone. You had to decide if you wanted to go slow and shoot A's to get the points in minor or try to hammer the C's and make up the points with time, or some combination of both. It was a physically demanding match and the high heat and humidity didn't help. It truly was an endurance match. While personally, I feel I shot relatively conservative (several reason's), Dave Sevigny's performance was nothing short of astounding. I have shot for many years and never saw such a performance. I woundn't call it flawless, because Dave made several mistakes, but he was in another gear and shooting on another plane of existance. I watched him run a stage and get a little lost. He ended up doing 2 reloads more than were needed and he still beat everybody by 2 seconds. I don't think I'll ever get to attend another clinic like the one Dave put on, at least I hope not :D Congratulations to Dave and the other top finishers. Hope to see you all the the Open/Limited Nationals.

Erik

Erik is right on. Alot of the stages left something to be desired, at least for the Factory Nationals, where the max rounds at any time is 10+1. When you have stages that if you take one extra shot, you end up having to do at least 1 extra reload and it throws your plan out the window. Give shooters some extra rounds in the mag to have some make up shots if need be. Example, Primal Screen II ( Horrid stage design IMO anyway, you just don't put the entire stage on the 180.) if you got into that last port and needed a make up shot, kiss it good-bye. I came around the corner, shot the last 2 targets, came into the port left to right. #1 #2 with a make-up shot( made up an A with an A, stupid!!) and ran the gun dry on #3. Give me room for mistakes, which alot of the match didn't. All in all, I had fun and somehow managed to finished 28th, being that I shot the first 2 days really bad.

after the thread drift about range nazis.....it was a great match, my first nats and a blast. I completely self destructed on the first FIVE stages I shot. Hammer follow, mikes (3), and ammo problems. Once I got it together and set about trying to smoothly dig myself out of the cavernous hole I was in, I am actually happy with the way I finished up. We shot about half the match on Friday, and I shot clean all day, and put up seven satisfying runs out of ten stages. I posted two 5th place stage finishes, and after three long days of sweating and struggling, I finished 7th on the last stage I shot. So while I wanted to make the top 20 (no, I won't blastpheme and say I deserved top 16, 'cause I don't), I started in about 110th place, so fighting my way back up to 31st is ok......................................OH!!! No one has mentioned it yet, but congrats to Manny Bragg, he is officially one of the big dawgs.

-- As for a match critique, certainly not a horrible match and much better than last year. Still, seemed like every stage was "shoot from this port, shoot from this window, shoot from this doorway....." Very few oppurtunities to shoot on the move, and the few where you could, the shots were too hard to make it worth wild.

The biggest disappointment of this match is how the steel was set and how they were calibrating it. When we shot the last of the three steel speed shoots, a Glock shooter in our squad shooting factory ammo shot a popper in the lower part of the sweet zone. Then he reengaged it and struck it at a perfect 12:00 in the sweet zone. The popper stood. (This shooter chrono'd at 138 PF mind you). Well the calibration gun took it down and he got a miss. The RM claimed that he was making 131.6 pf and since the rules say that the calibration gun should be as close to 125 pf as possible.... he claimed that was as close as he could come. Pretty pathetic, for a match of this magnatude. Also heard that this RM called this gun the "Sledge". Sound to me like he is in effect calling it the "screw the shooter" gun.

One more thing about my last paragraph - If there was another calibration gun on the range that was making 126 power factor (as I was told there was), than would they in fact be following the rule that "as close as possible without going under 125"? Seems that this is not as close as they had something much closer.

Another observation is that just about everyone on our squad had to re-hit one of the poppers on the three stages to make it fall, including the major power factor shooters. By the third day, it seems that there were very few issues - even the Production super squad. Guess their bullets are special -- again, this is just an observation.

At the Factory Gun Nationals, the stages were set to test your ability to shoot accurately. Interestingly, Primal Screen was NOT set on the 180, although it did kind of look like it. There were no 180 DQ's on that stage, BTW. (Not for 3 gun, either.) And, my calibration gun was making a 128.5 PF for the match; the other gun was making a 131. Pretty close. I wouldn't take the nickname for the gun as being significant.

standards stage

hmmm, I guess I missed that stage. Explains why I didn't do so well... Where was that standards stage?

Very few oppurtunities to shoot on the move

I thought there was plenty of opportunity for this. I am usually the first to criticize stages, but this FGN offered a large variety, with plenty of moving targets and shooting on the move, something for everyone. A welcome relief of the run-n-gun-only, spray-them-down-at-arms-length type that have come to dominate the sport. You needed to aim and hit...

As for the calibration, my only miss of the match was a popper that I hit on the low end of the circle. Calibration knocked it down. Yes, this is minor PF in Prod Div, those poppers were not set light, and you needed to hit them well. But I didn't feel there was anything consistently wrong with the popper calibration.

I also cannot see anything wrong with setting up targets in 10-shot arrays. Yes, little leeway for error if you wanted to "go for broke", but with a bit of risk managment (read: one more reload) those were tractable gracefully. By and large, there were always several possibilities to shoot a stage.

I did not see a single typical 180 trap in the match...

I guess everyone has their own preferences...

--Detlef