Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How fast can you load a Dillon Primer Tube (100 Primers)

We shooters are a competitive bunch that always strive for speed. We all want to draw faster, reload faster, transitition faster, move faster, shoot faster splits, etc. In keeping with our competitive spirit, I'm interested to see how well I stack up to the competition when it comes to filling a Dillon Primer tube. Since we'll always have gamers, I'll outline the rules of this contest.

1. NO Automatic Primer Fillers Allowed - Primer tubes must be filled manually

2. For purposes of uniformity, only Small Pistol/Rifle Primers are allowed - not sure you can gain any advantage by using Large Primers (and you can post your times if you want) but only Small Primers count for "official score" - any brand will do - I use Winchester Small Pistol - FWIW

3. Only stock, unmodified Dillon Primer Pickup Tubes are allowed - high zoot, race-tubes will NOT count for "official score"

4. You may use any type of Primer Flip Tray

5. Time starts when you lift the top off the Primer Flip Tray

6. Time ends when you've picked up your 100th Primer in your Primer Tube

7. Record time to the nearest whole second (round down if .49 or less / round up is .50 or more)

Over the course of 5 "strings" my results are:

Best Time - 39 seconds

Worst Time - 52 seconds (had two primers flip upside down and had to manually right them)

Average Time - 44 seconds

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

We shooters are a competitive bunch that always strive for speed. We all want to draw faster, reload faster, transitition faster, move faster, shoot faster splits, etc. In keeping with our competitive spirit, I'm interested to see how well I stack up to the competition when it comes to filling a Dillon Primer tube. Since we'll always have gamers, I'll outline the rules of this contest.

2. For purposes of uniformity, only Small Pistol/Rifle Primers are allowed - not sure you can gain any advantage by using Large Primers (and you can post your times if you want) but only Small Primers count for "official score" - any brand will do - I use Winchester Small Pistol - FWIW

3. Only stock, unmodified Dillon Primer Pickup Tubes are allowed - high zoot, race-tubes will NOT count for "official score"

7. Record time to the nearest whole second (round down if .49 or less / round up is .50 or more)

Best Time - 39 seconds

Worst Time - 52 seconds (had two primers flip upside down and had to manually right them)

I do primers in Open Division only.......

Vibra-prime!! :goof:

Best Time - 39 seconds

I do primers in Open Division only.......

Vibra-prime!! :goof:

100000+ LOL!!!!!!!

I haven't loaded a primer tube in a year or so. How is this, you ask? My wife actually comes to me and asks if she can do it. She enjoys it, the tubes get filled, I keep on cranking out the ammo.

I think I win with a time of 0 and no points down.

If still had Primer Pickup Tubes I'd be all over this. I made sucking up the primers a visual game (like I do with almost everything I do actually). But I never timed myself, so I can't even do a write-in.

be

Best Time - 39 seconds

First liar ain't got a snowball's chance... :goof:

David C

I haven't loaded a primer tube in a year or so. How is this, you ask? My wife actually comes to me and asks if she can do it. She enjoys it, the tubes get filled, I keep on cranking out the ammo.

Man I asked my wife if she would like to spend some quality time with me and load the primer tubes and she just gave me a funny look.... :surprise:

Tube #1, 58 seconds.

Tube #2, 65 seconds. Tried to change technique, tried to go too fast, didn't see what I needed to see.

Tube #3, 53 seconds.

Wasn't able to look up the classifiers but I reckon this puts me in "D" class <_<

Not quite your start position, but:

Starting with an unopened box of 1000 Winchester primers (10 trays), ending with ten full tubes, takes me 9 to 10 minutes routinely.

I use shred's two tray flip technique.

Starting with an unopened box of 1000 Winchester primers (10 trays), ending with ten full tubes, takes me 9 to 10 minutes routinely.

That's pretty impressive for an entire box. I've been "speed filling" for years, but only recently but a timer on it. I really like what Brian said about the visual aspects of this activity / drill - it's almost like I can visualize the primer being "sucked up" into the primer tube.

This drill also has a high "crash factor" if you try to outrun your capabilities - I've spilled near-full trays of primers on the floor because I was "filling" tuibes too aggressively. Come on, give your fancy Dillon fillers and Vibra-Primes a break and get back to your roots - break out some primer tubes and "make ready". :cheers:

If the primers are in the try upside down when you open it, does that constitue a range equipment malfunction and require a "refill"? :blink:

Adios,

TG

Nope - it's up to the individual "filler" to ensure his primers are properly oriented prior to removing the top of the tray and beginning the course of "fill". :D

If your wife is willing to do this, I'd have to agree that you're the winner. :cheers:

That's pretty impressive for an entire box. I've been "speed filling" for years, but only recently but a timer on it. I really like what Brian said about the visual aspects of this activity / drill - it's almost like I can visualize the primer being "sucked up" into the primer tube.

This drill also has a high "crash factor" if you try to outrun your capabilities - I've spilled near-full trays of primers on the floor because I was "filling" tuibes too aggressively. Come on, give your fancy Dillon fillers and Vibra-Primes a break and get back to your roots - break out some primer tubes and "make ready". :cheers:

Using shred's technique, you basically end up with a tray of upside down (anvil up) primers. Plop the square RCBS primer tray on top, flip and take off the original primer tray, and you have a nice, evenly spaced 10x10 array of primers, which are easy to p/u with the standard p/u tubes - no pushing and chasing individual primers all over the flip tray...

So... how well does that work with boxes of Remington 7-1/2 Small Rifle primers... ;)

If you've got a secret for flipping those little buggers over w/o doing the 'chase' bit... I'm all ears.

+1 - my wife loves loading tubes as well. But I have to call it about 30 mins to an hour because she will do it while she watched TV, and seems to pace herself to the length of the show... :)

Yeah, that works good for Winchester primers or any primer that doesn't store them sideways (like Federals and CCI's) otherwise you need do the shake, rattle, and roll to get them in the right position. I've used the technique Kevin describes for a long time.

Using shred's technique, you basically end up with a tray of upside down (anvil up) primers. Plop the square RCBS primer tray on top, flip and take off the original primer tray, and you have a nice, evenly spaced 10x10 array of primers, which are easy to p/u with the standard p/u tubes - no pushing and chasing individual primers all over the flip tray...

That's funny.. I've used the RF-100 (time from lifting full primer box from brick to punching fill button and returning to loading: 4 seconds :P ) for so long I forgot I used to do that.. I never liked the Remington and Federal packaging much :D