Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who of you has stuck with your Para?

mshotwell

I would like to hear for other shooters who have stuck with thier Para. I know alot of guys started with Para then for what ever reason have moved on to other guns. (STI,Glock,ETC). I personally am thinking of making a change. My P-16 shoot good, has never let me down. Nothing broke on it. I shoot it in limited/L10.

I don't want to start a depate on who makes the best gun. Alittle history I'm a B class shooter (74.52)

Thanks

I would like to hear for other shooters who have stuck with thier Para. I know alot of guys started with Para then for what ever reason have moved on to other guns. (STI,Glock,ETC). I personally am thinking of making a change. My P-16 shoot good, has never let me down. Nothing broke on it. I shoot it in limited/L10.

I don't want to start a depate on who makes the best gun. Alittle history I'm a B class shooter (74.52)

Thanks

My first 1911 type gun was my P18.9. I started USPSA with that gun shooting Limited - Minor. I shortly migrated to a used SVI. I have spent some money to have the trigger worked on, added a magwell, sights to match the SVI, and machined the trigger guard to fit my holster, so I can use it for slightly cheaper shooting than the SVI with much the same gun feel (except for the trigger).

I like Para's. I plan to take the magwell off and use it to get classified in Production this year. I am currently a high C limited shooter.

Mark

unless you've got a LDA, your Para won't work for production. First shot must be DA.

I started with a P16, liked it enough to get another one for a back up. Really liked starting with 21+1 on every stage. Slowly moved to STI frame guns. Sold the original Para to a good friend, still have the other one. I find that I make better reloads with the STI, where as I used to miss one every once in a while with the Para by not going in exactly straight.

Nothing wrong with a Para. I've often thought that if I had to only keep one gun that might be the one I decided on.

I bought one of the Limited 40's when they first came out. Put an SA magwell on, Dawson front sight,all new trigger group adjusted to 2.75 lbs. and have had no trouble with it for the last 12 or so years. It's reliable , accurate 2.5" @ 25 yds. What more do you need. Oh yeah, I also run Dawson base pads, para followers and ISMI springs for 20rd mag capability.

A friend of mine has had one of the new 45 Ltd with the Power Extractor. He has had just a couple of minor issues, Rear sight broke and power extractor broke. Replaced both about 12,000 rounds ago and hasn't had a problem since.

I have three Paras. They all work well, but I have read here about quality issues. My guns never had problems, but I admit that the two P-16's were never stock, and the LDA was a Limited Series (Custom Shop version).

I started with Paras - I like a big heavy gun for Limited, which is where I used them. Also, w/ a Grams basepad, I could get 21+1.

Now that I'm shooting Production, I use my Glocks. The mags are cheaper and the guns run well right out of the box, and homesmithing is easy (just drop in the parts).

I have one of the original Para kits. The frame has out lasted several top-ends. At one time the frame was used in open so it had a couple of holes drilled through it for a scope. I just replaced the top-end again after the slide cracked. This year I did about 5-7K rounds through it and last year about 12K. According to my gunsmith, who has known the gun since the previous century the frame has done several 100 thousand rounds in 45, 38 super and now again 45. If my things work out, I plan to put a 40 top-end on it sooner or later. I also had a heavy full-length dust-cover fitted.

In all the gun just runs and runs. If the sear breaks, I replace it, if the hammer goes I replace it. The frame just goes on and on. Currently I am not even considering any other frame. Its like an anvil.

I am 61...My first Para was built on a frame kit in .45 before Para came out with complete guns. I would like to have a Para in .40 but I'm retired and $$$ is tight. I'm not sure the extra rounds would do me much good. My second Para is a 5" Carry-comp built as my Open Gun without optics. Mags are tuned by my smith with factory parts. Both are 100% with good ammo (factory or reloads) and I will/have trusted my life with them and probably not upgrade unless I hit the lottery.

Richard

I have two P16 - Limiteds. They work fine. I did a trigger job and changed the grips. They run rock solid. I have been on the production kick for a while with a Glock. Funny this thread came up, last night I was digging the paras out of the safe getting ready to go back shooting limited 10.

Keep shooting them and feed them ammo.

I like Para's. I plan to take the magwell off and use it to get classified in Production this year. I am currently a high C limited shooter.

Mark

You may have a problem here. Isn't the P18 a single action pistol?

Here's the list of approved Para's

PARA-ORDNANCE PXT CARRY 9, PXT CARRY GAP 45, PXT CARRY-12 45, PXT CARRY45, PXT CCO 45, PXT CCO-GAP 45, PXT CCW 45, PXT COMPANION 45, PXT LDA HI-CAP 45, PXT LDA NITE-TAC 45, PXT LDA SSP 45, PXT PDA 45, PXT PDA 9, PXT TAC FOUR 45, PXT TAC-S 45

Except variants with enlarged magwells

Taken from http://www.uspsa.org/rules/production_list.php

Me too!.... Can't have to many guns. Still tinkering. I bought a "old" Para-16 in good condition for little $$$'s. Have a 9mm complete top end, and a single stack Para 1911. I can get reasonible accurcy simply by switching top ends from gun to gun. Did buy the Clark match barrels. Got the Dremil out releaved the trigger guard, some Fiber sights and I'm a happy camper! The mags are not a whole lot of money either. Can't say I'm real happy with the set-up in 9mm yet???.... but I'll figure it out.

I started with a para and its good for what it is. I wanted a lighter gun and the STI are. The STI mags are better made and reload better due to the steaper taper, oh I used STI mags in my para due to this. I would start the stage with a para 21+1 and reload to a STI mag, one of th benefits of a para :cheers:

I have a P18.9 LDA that's been in my collection for several years now.

It got off to a rocky start because it wouldn't group.

I had a Schuemann barrel fitted and the problem was resolved.

It's a decent carry gun and that's what I use it for.

With 18+1 I don't have to concern myself too much with extra mags.

It probably wouldn't be ideal for production but it is certainly usable for that purpose.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

I have a couple of custom Para's (.45 and .40). and both have performed well over the years. Although the S_I guns are lighter and actually fit my hand a little better, I just prefer the feel of a steel grip. As my buddy would say..."steel is the deal"! :cheers: It is strictly personal preference for me! Go with what you like and don't worry about which platform is the most popular at the moment.

My first Para was the original style frame gunsmith kit. Made it into a 45 back in '92 and it is still running with original parts except for sear, springs, and extractor. No clue how many rounds are through it but it just keeps running. With Grams pads, it will hold 18 + 1 and I have shot Limited with it but I usually just shoot it for L10. It may be my all around favorite pistol.

In '95 I had a newer style frame made into an Open gun in 38 Super. A couple of years ago it got converted to 9mm so I could shoot Major 9 instead. All it has had done it springs and a different trigger. It is one of my most fun pistols to shoot.

Then in '99 I got a P18-9mm. It got gutted with new internals but still has the original barrel. I didn't change it because it shot fine. It's a sweet gun to shoot. I like it for matches where PF isn't an issue, such as some 3 gun. I used to use it for ESP but no longer shoot IDPA.

My shooting buds all have STI guns but I just like the Para feel better. I don't seem to have as many gun issues as they do either. And Para 9mm mags work without needing tuning or shims and all that crap. I can't justify the cost for a new gun when I already have ones that work fine for most of the shooting I do.

Like davecutts said, use the money for ammo to practice and it really won't matter what you use. The shooter makes it happen.

Craig

I shot a Para P16 Limited for my first two years in USPSA. It was hard to beat for the price once you got the Dawson mag pads....but, I could not pull myself out of C class.

I then switched to a Dawson-tuned STI Edge, and with-in the first few months I had edged in to B class.... I am now knocking on the door a A class, but I don't have the time to practice to get me there any time soon. :angry2:

I have an Open, a Limited, and a Modified gun all built around two Para frames. Basically the Open gun is a Para in 38 Super with a CMore, the Limited gun is a Para in 40SW. The Modified gun is the Para Limited frame and topend that sports a Firepoint/JPoint red dot.

My first Para was a used Open gun in 357 SIG. Great gun, but not a great caliber choice over the long run.

I have two paras. A P16-40 Lim/Lim 10 gun and a P18.9 LDA for production. I'm keeping both of mine and am not looking to upgrade to any other kinds of gun for Lim/L10. I might eventually upgrade or swap out to a Glock 34 for Production, but the LDA is still fun to shoot.

I'm not sure "upgrade" is an accurate term. Once the Para is fine tuned, I didn't see a difference except in weight and grip.

I have an open and a limited Para and an open and a limited STI that, when all is said and done I usually grab the Para's first.

Upgrade is probably not the right term.. but for some reason a friend's G34 seemed to fit and work better for me than the LDA. I'd think the heavier weight of the LDA would translate to more controllability, I think the longer trigger throw has me a little bit thrown though.. it feels like a revolver but when it recoils it doesn't feel like a revolver.. Since the Glock doesn't feel like anything else, well, it doesn't throw me the same way. Hard to describe.. the fact that G34 10 round mags are less than $20 and the Para 10 rounders are $50, it's really hard dropping those very easily breakable $50 mags into the gravel.