Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9mm Pro: Initial thoughts and observations

mike cyrwus

I picked up a M&P9 Pro last night; Its getting some kydex made for it as we speak; so I have not fired it.

Retail price was just a hair over $600. They are eligible for the S&W rebate, $30 or 2 free mag deal.

Initial thoughts: The sight set is very nice; It looks like they are using warren green fiber optic front sights (or very similar)

and a non serrated, plain black rear. I consider them comparable to Dawson sights ($80 value). Yes, the FO's can be changed to red if desired, but no extra come with the gun.

Tha balance of it compared to the regular M&P's is similar. I feel the balance point of the 4" guns is just above the grip, while the M&P Pro seem to be balancing right around the barrel hood.

The Pro draws and points almost the same as the 4" ones Ive been shooting for a couple years. This is encouraging.

The only thing that is different with the trigger, compared to a stock M&P trigger, is that they have a different sear, thats cast with the sharper modified sear nose thats a part of your typical M&P trigger job.

It will take a standard fluff and buff better than the stock, but I will be removing that sear and doing the trigger with a stock sear, because I think they have the angle wrong on the sear nose. So yes, Virginia; you will need a trigger job. (at least I will) :)

As the trigger came out of the box; the gritty take up due to the trigger bar/safety plunger is still there, nothing was done to address this. The trigger break was not very consistent and often unpredictable; but rounds fired and/or fluff and buff would likely help this. The reset is shorter than stock, but I still feel the safety plunger starting to engage a hair before reset. -needs more sear work to shorten and address. As far as poundage, Id guess 5.5# or so.

It uses the exact same recoil assembly as the 4" models, ala glock.

The slide is narrower past the ejection port; and the slide walls are pretty darn thin past this point. This is how they got around having to use a cut-out like Glock 34/35's to keep a slide speed similar to the 4" models.

The rear serrations are super sharp; even a little sharper than other M&P's; I like this.

The mags are the newer, non blued finish, Melonite, I think. They worked well today at a local match, but I believe the round count holes are a little off, because I see brass in holes designated for higher round counts than are actually in the mag. It was freaking me out a little today; "are there 10 or 11 rounds" or "Is this my start mag or not?...." No biggie, though.

I think the barrel lockup is a little tighter than how the 4" M&P's come; We shall see if they are more accurate.

Stay tuned for comparison (Pro vs. Standard) accuracy testing, chrono loads, and overall range impressions during this next week.

edit: and pics too!

Edited by mike cyrwus

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excellent write up! thanks!

whats the width of the front sight and the opening of the rear sight?

The S&W rep brought one by and the front sight on it measures .115 X .180 tall.

I have been waiting for one of these. Except, no dealer around here (NY) knows when they will be available, and claims no one has them. Mike--is this generally available? Where did you buy it from?

I can't wait for your pics!!!

I have been waiting for one of these. Except, no dealer around here (NY) knows when they will be available, and claims no one has them. Mike--is this generally available? Where did you buy it from?

I can't wait for your pics!!!

H&H gunrange in OK City, OK.

Im an ffl holder, but I figured it would be a while before I get to snag one from a distributor, so I bit the bullet to get it. H&H is one of S&W best retailers nationally, and I was glad when I got a call from somebody from there.

If its a .180" tall front, like Kenny said, then its the same height as the Dawson setup.

I really prefer a 10-8 rear and Speed Shooter Specialties .125" front sight over Dawsons for all my other M&P's, but Ill give these sights a chance.

I've had my Pro for about 3 weeks now, I haven't shot it because I have to take picture of it first and I didn't want to booger it up and have to Photoshop the Snot out of it!!

I like the feel of it, I need to shoot it further!!

I like the Plain Black Rear Sight

Holsters??? Bobby is going to be offering this size (M&P Pro & L) on the "Starter Pack". I should be getting my holster sometime today :)

I'll post pictures when I get them done this week!!

Y

Y

that's what you told me last week :goof:

thanks for all the info guys..really would like to see one of these in a local shop

Y

that's what you told me last week :goof:

thanks for all the info guys..really would like to see one of these in a local shop

I know Stu, but I need the holster first!! Bobby needed the gun to make the Holster and he sent it on Friday, I'll get it today or tomorrow.

I got back from San Diego Last Night, I'll call ya today!!

Y

Mike,

Are the frame rails the same? Longer? Tighter? Any indication of wear (high spots)?

The frame looks the same to me, AFAIK the only thing changed is the Sear, to a machined Sear instead of the MIM Sear on the Standard M&P.

will this gun fit regular holsters for the M&P that are cut out at the bottom? like the Safariland ALS or the Blackhawk Serpa?

No reason it shouldnt;

Im still waiting for my gun; its still getting fitted for kydex. I knew I should have just grabbed a heat gun.

As of Area 8 there had not been any certification paper work filed by Smith and Wesson with NROI making these guns legal. This may have been corrected by now, but I don't know.

An e-mail to DNROI might be a wise move before you take it to a match.

Gary

Gary,

Are you talking about the MP9L or the Pro, or both?

Mike,

Where did you send it to get fitted for kydex?

Kevin

The famous Ky-Tac.

He's located in the next towm over from me, which has been very convienient.