Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9mm Pro: Initial thoughts and observations

mike cyrwus

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what mag pouches for production ?? CR ??

Does the pro have the stupid mag safety thing ??

No the pro does NOT have the mag safety; there's actually a caution statement on the slide that say it can fire with the mag removed. On pouches right now I'm using some Uncle Mike pouches that are actually for XD mags that I had laying around. If I have some spacers that will work I may use 1 or 2 CR pouches for the way back oh crap pouches that are furthest back around my belt.

Edited by j2fast

Standard size M&P have .160" tall front sights

M&P9Ls have .180" tall front sights

gotM4,

I posted a question on the M&P forums on this, but...

With your Warren rear sight and standard .180 front where was the gun hitting? If it was slightly high (2"-3") I think I'd prefer it that way over POA=POI at 25 yards that you were able to achieve with the .195 front/Warren rear combo. I also read that you tried it with a Warren front .160 and it was 8" high at 25 yards. On my standard gun with a .160 front FO the Warren rear made it hit just slightly higher than the factory rear (which I prefer).

Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion. I never fired the gun with it's factory sights. I removed the Warren sights from my old M&P (with a fiber front) and installed them on my 9L and had the problem of extreme high impact at 25yds.

I did double check on OEM rear M&P sights, they're all the same height. The new .195" black serrated sight from Kenny at SSS works wonderfully. I'll shoot this a while and see how I like it. I've been wanting to go back to all black sights for a while because I'm catching myself looking at the dot instead of a clean sight picture and focusing on the front sight.

Here's some pics with the new front sight and after I've worked on the grip with a soldering iron and some sand paper.

SSS195frontsight.jpgMP9L3.jpg

Edited by gotm4

No the pro does NOT have the mag safety; there's actually a caution statement on the slide that say it can fire with the mag removed. On pouches right now I'm using some Uncle Mike pouches that are actually for XD mags that I had laying around. If I have some spacers that will work I may use 1 or 2 CR pouches for the way back oh crap pouches that are furthest back around my belt.

Does the "L" model have a magazine safety?

Does the "L" model have a magazine safety?

It probably can be had either way mine does not and is why the warnings are on the right side of the slide.

Sorry for the confusion. I never fired the gun with it's factory sights. I removed the Warren sights from my old M&P (with a fiber front) and installed them on my 9L and had the problem of extreme high impact at 25yds.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to try the factory front sight with the Warren rear and see where I'm hitting before I order from Kenny then.

I've been trying to decide between the Pro or 9L. The more I think about it, the 9L like yours is the way to go for me. I'm changing the sights and doing a trigger job anyways. Looking at the weights, the 9L 25.2 oz and the Pro is 26 oz. most likely due to the different profile muzzle. I'm currently using a standard 4.25" M&P (24 oz) for IDPA and still plan to use it. The 9L would be for Production. I'm thinking the 9L being a little lighter in the nose might feel closer to my current gun. In reality the difference is so slight I probably won't be able to tell!

I've been trying to decide between the Pro or 9L. The more I think about it, the 9L like yours is the way to go for me. I'm changing the sights and doing a trigger job anyways. Looking at the weights, the 9L 25.2 oz and the Pro is 26 oz. most likely due to the different profile muzzle. I'm currently using a standard 4.25" M&P (24 oz) for IDPA and still plan to use it. The 9L would be for Production. I'm thinking the 9L being a little lighter in the nose might feel closer to my current gun. In reality the difference is so slight I probably won't be able to tell!

Interesting. I've weighed my 9L slide and it's .3 oz heavier than a standard M&P slide. I haven't weighed a Pro slide as I haven't seen one yet.

I was just going buy S&W's published weights. Actual data from a scale would tell more. That's interesting that the slide on 9L is only .3 oz more than the standard! They must have really cut some weight from the slide to do that.

I got my Pro a couple of weeks ago, my front sight was off-center also, it shot to the right about 3 inches. I made the adjustment, and now I'm dead on. I think I'll replace it though with a .100 wide dawson with .040 fiber. The gun shot well, and accurate .929 best 5 shot group with avg. of 1.2 inches at 15yds with my 124jhp reloads. The trigger was really gritty and heavy, but after I did the trigger job per the pdf file, it is fine now. I have it set at 4#, it will get better as I shoot it like my other M&P's which are at 3# 6oz. I have some grip inserts for my Ransom rest coming and plan to do a thourough test of all 3 M&P's then and post the results. I do like my Pro better than my custom XD tactical and my G34.

What pdf file?

Those instructions are great - except when it comes to cutting the front part of the sear where the trigger bar contacts it. That results in the trigger's break point moving all the way to the rear of it's travel - thereby giving the perception of reduced reset. If you have small-ish hands, it works out pretty well, but either dealing with the overtravel or finding some way to reduce it is a better option.

I have a sear that has been modified by those instructions, but it is just taking up space sitting in my spare parts bin at the moment. I would love to trade somebody (plus some cash) if it will work in their gun and they want the reduced trigger reach. PM me if anybody wants it. You'd be able to try it and measure your engagement before sending me your stock sear :cheers:

Edited by Krautwagen

I2Fast - Thanks for the info.

BUT - I shot the Pro yesterday with 147 gr. hollow points with the factory sights. 4" high at 20 yards. I measured the sights and they "sit" at .190 to the tallest point off the slide. If I remember correctly, for a 5" gun, it takes .10 of sight to adjust per inch, which means I would have to have a front sight about .230 tall to get to zero at 20 yards.

Dawson's tallest sight is .180, so I guess the only option I have is to custom make a front sight. I will be calling Kenny today to see what he can do for me.