Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat Mags Vs Chip Mac

SSDK1911

Seems there are plus & minuses regarding the use of Wilson Mags & Chip Mags. I have Wilson mags which I used last month in my local USPSA shoot & was very happy with the results. I was then told days later that the plastic follower on the Wilson Mag will wear out quicker than the follow in the Chip mag since that is metal but then I'm reading that the metal follower jams on the last round. Anyone with any insight on this, otherwise, I would stick to what works right now.

Len

Wilson, Tripp, Chip mccormick, Metalform and Novak/Wolff/PSI mags (which I am using and happy with) are all a little different some will work in any given gun some wont, some guns will run on all of them depending on the bullets. Find some you like and if they run in your gun and dont have any problems keep running them. Even if the follower does wear out eventually an occasional six pack of followers is chump change to all the other expenses.

Of the 2, I prefer the Wilson mags. Haven't tried the new Wilson Elite mags, but if it's an improvement over their "ol' reliables" then simply WOW.

Not that there's anything wrong with the CMC mags. Just prefer the Wilsons. That said, I'd be curious about folks' experience with the Tripp mags...specifically the single stack .40 mags.

Rich

Seems there are plus & minuses regarding the use of Wilson Mags & Chip Mags. I have Wilson mags which I used last month in my local USPSA shoot & was very happy with the results. I was then told days later that the plastic follower on the Wilson Mag will wear out quicker than the follow in the Chip mag since that is metal but then I'm reading that the metal follower jams on the last round. Anyone with any insight on this, otherwise, I would stick to what works right now.

Len

Do a search of the forums on this subject as it has been discussed many times. I tried both and settled on Wilson. I have changed springs on Wilson but still use the same old followers. If they are "worn" it does not seem to matter. As for the chips, the metal follower can rock forward when the last round is stripped off, keeping the mag from dropping free. That did not happen often but even once is a match is way too many times.

Later,

Chuck

Len

Do a search of the forums on this subject as it has been discussed many times. I tried both and settled on Wilson. I have changed springs on Wilson but still use the same old followers. If they are "worn" it does not seem to matter. As for the chips, the metal follower can rock forward when the last round is stripped off, keeping the mag from dropping free. That did not happen often but even once is a match is way too many times.

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! Think I stick with my Wilson's.

Len

+1 on the CMC power mags, I have checked out the new Wilson mags, and I do care for them, they stick out farther and the base pad seems big. To be fair, I have not used them, just handled them.. I did like the old 47d mags..

I have Wilson (old style), Chip, and Tripp. Sounds like a ambulance-chasing law firm :roflol:

In playing with my four single stack 1911's, I have found that the Tripp 10-rounders work in everything. The Wilsons work about 50-50, and the Chip mags are 75%. All feed (I'm talking 8/8/6 mags, respectively) in all four guns, but only the Tripp mags drop free from all four guns. Some of the mags, not so much.

Although spendy, I really like the 10-round Tripp mags.

Alex

I use nothing but Wilson mags. A friend of mine called Wilson last week to ask them what the dimension on the feed lips were suppose to be so he could reset some 10 year old mags he had and they told him to forget messing with them and send them back, they sent him 4 new mags at no charge.

TIE :cheers:

I have Wilson mags that are over 15 years old and going strong.

I like the CMC power mags just as well.

If the gun is set up correctly, either should run fine.

I have also cracked Wilson mags, probably from too many drops on hard surfaces, and Wilson exchanges them "no questions asked".

Edited by Derek45

I have some very early Wilson mags (20+ years old) and some CMC and I would trust my life on any of them (and have). Wilsons still have original followers and springs. For years I shot 2 matches a month and as many as 5 practices with these mags but haven't practiced as much since we lost our range. Just my .02.

Richard

I have used wilson, chips, and metalforms. All have worked good and dropped free. The only issues I had was the wilson springs seemed to be weak and they would not always lock the gun open. Then if you send them in to be rebuilt you are going to be waiting a long time. I stick with the metalforms mostly.

For a flush fit 8-round 1911 magazine my vote goes to the CMC power mag. I think the Devel style follower is the better mousetrap for a flush fit 8 round magazine despite its flaws. Checkmate has a similar design that also might be worth looking into but I have not put them through the ringer. I use the extended basepads and swap them into new mags when a mag out.

I'll definitely vote against the Wilson. Springs take set quickly and aren't very powerful. The follower wears and won't lock the slide back. The tube swells and then they don't drop free. I also find that they don't seat as easily if there is even a little bit of grit. I do not like the narrow spring design.

I don't consider replacement springs or followers to be a good investment. I would rather put that money towards a new mag. @ 22 dollars a piece for CMC mags it makes more sense. I chuck a mag the second it stops feeding reliably, fails to lock the slide back, or doesn't drop free. It's a perk of shooting single stack.

Edited by adweisbe

As noted above, some guns will run anything, some are picky. The "nice" .45 I had preferred Wilson mags, the ancient and crummy looking one will run anything, and all day long. A single stack .40 only ran right with Tripp mags. If Wilson works for you, use them.

What does "the follower will wear out quicker" mean? I can see Wilson's not locking the slide back eventually, but thats pretty theoretical.

As for me, I hate it when the slide locks back, annoys the crap out of me.

As noted above, some guns will run anything, some are picky. The "nice" .45 I had preferred Wilson mags, the ancient and crummy looking one will run anything, and all day long. A single stack .40 only ran right with Tripp mags. If Wilson works for you, use them.

What does "the follower will wear out quicker" mean? I can see Wilson's not locking the slide back eventually, but thats pretty theoretical.

Judging by the comments made on this topic it would seem to me that the there is nothing wrong with WCM & the meaning "the follower wears out quickly" could be a manufacturer defect or lemon if you will on that particular follower. I believe in time parts do wear out & need to be replaced but not before it was put to good use. Shot USPSA this past weekend using my new CM mags without a hitch. So for now, I'm pretty satisfied with both. Hopefully this will clear things up Al.

Len

As for the chips, the metal follower can rock forward when the last round is stripped off, keeping the mag from dropping free. That did not happen often but even once is a match is way too many times.

Later,

Chuck

Interesting... I too have noticed this. Personally I have chased dowm mag problems for a long time but have decided to stick with Wilson for now. I do have occational failures to lock back... maybe it the springs.. maybe it's me riding the slide stop. Oh the joy of 1911s....

• 2 weeks later...
As for the chips, the metal follower can rock forward when the last round is stripped off, keeping the mag from dropping free. That did not happen often but even once is a match is way too many times.

Later,

Chuck

Interesting... I too have noticed this. Personally I have chased dowm mag problems for a long time but have decided to stick with Wilson for now. I do have occational failures to lock back... maybe it the springs.. maybe it's me riding the slide stop. Oh the joy of 1911s....

I have used both CMC and Wilson mags. I am currently using Wilson 10rounders in L10. I have had the follower come forward on CMC mags and bind them in the gun a few times. I did have some of my Wilsons get to where they wouldn't drop free due to the feed lips swelling (caused by repeated drops on concrete). I called Wilson Combat and they said to "send them back". I sent five mags back and in less than two weeks I had five new ones on my front porch when I came home from work. I am sold on Wilson Combat mags.

Hello: The trick to any of the mags is keep them clean. I have used the Wilson,Tripp,CMC and the Metalforms. My favourite are the Metalform Elite with the round top follower. They work in my 40 and 45 and always feed great. The Tripp mags have been hit and miss. The Wilsons and the CMC mags are about the same--very reliable. I would try different mags to see what your pistol likes the best. Thanks, Eric

Judging by the comments made on this topic it would seem to me that the there is nothing wrong with WCM & the meaning "the follower wears out quickly" could be a manufacturer defect or lemon if you will on that particular follower. I believe in time parts do wear out & need to be replaced but not before it was put to good use. Shot USPSA this past weekend using my new CM mags without a hitch. So for now, I'm pretty satisfied with both. Hopefully this will clear things up Al.

Len

Not at all theoretical. Mags stop locking the slide back. Replace with a new ISMI spring and still no go even when hand cycling. Replace the follower and the slide locks back for a few more months. Buy new mags and have the same story. Followers are visibly worn in the notch. Does the same thing in someone elses Colt and Springfield so I doubt it is the guns. Feeding never seems to be the issue for me.

The rocking issue is the biggest flaw of the Devel style follower. Supposedly you can address it via the gun (don't ask me how).

Edited by adweisbe

I'm using CMC "Match Grade" mags that I got back in 1994 w/ just the springs changed every so often. Never had any problems with them. I use the Wilson 10rnd mags that I've had since '94 w/o any problems either - just change the springs every once in a while. You can't go wrong with either the CMC or Wilson mags. Both are great.

Wilson, Tripp, Chip mccormick, Metalform and Novak/Wolff/PSI mags (which I am using and happy with) are all a little different some will work in any given gun some wont, some guns will run on all of them depending on the bullets. Find some you like and if they run in your gun and dont have any problems keep running them. Even if the follower does wear out eventually an occasional six pack of followers is chump change to all the other expenses.

I'm with Mr. 4d. I've been using the ACT-PSI mags for almost a year now and am very happy with them. That said, I also have 4 power mags and 2 old Wilsons that keep going and going.

Speedy169, BIENVENIDO!

Len

I like CMC -- it's easy to rock the follower forward to field-strip and clean the sand out on-site.

I think the Tripp is THE mag of choice. The tubes are extremely stout, outstanding follower with the steel insert for reliable slide lock, and a monster button on the bottom to disassemble the mag in about 1 second. I clean the mags FAST between stages with a silicon rag and a car key to disassemble.