Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket triggers and reliablity?

Billmanweh

You run the risk of light strikes, I wound up getting light strikes more frequently with Winchester primers, but none so far with Federal primers. never tried CCI or Remington primers. I have both and like the Vanek kit better.

I've got the Sotelo's in my Glocks.

Like some, I've diddled with the springs. I went back to the standard trigger return spring because of mushy trigger return. Might not be a problem if I put in a set screw to limit the travel (but, not having ever done it, I dunno for sure).

Gotta get ALL the springs right. At least as far as my experience goes, go stock, or be prepared to work at it for a while...

I've noticed on the Triggerkits his firing pin safety plunger is sometimes over modified. He rounds off the top of the plunger a little too much. This can result in the projection on the trigger bar which contacts it not depressing it enough, and that alone can cause missfires due to inerferrence with the firing pin. Replacing it with a polished OEM part fixed the problem I was having in a couple of my guns, so I replaced it in all of them just be sure. Any difference that makes in the trigger pull is very slight.

Light strikes with aftermarket triggers usually happen one of two ways.

The first is that the safety plunger or the birds head of the trigger bar have been polished or ground down too far. This causes the plunger not to fully depress and the striker will bind on it slightly as it goes by. The trick is to bevel just edges of the plunger so that it retains it's full height. On the birds head just polish it, or change the angle but retain the height.

The second is the use of lightened strikers with reduced power striker springs. This combination will get light strikes in about 20% of glocks. In this case go back to a factory striker.

Homemade trigger job following JoeD hints on this beloved forum, tipping the scale at 2.01lbs with lightweight striker and reduced power striker spring (wolff 4lbs)

Today 500 rds ignited by CCI primers seated by a LEE pro1000.

Only a pro1000 user know how BAD this press seat primers.

100percent (knock on wood)reliability.

BTW, thanks JoeD!

Thousands of rounds through my Production 34 with a Vanek drop in as well, and other than a few high primers on my press when i first started reloading, it lights off small pistol winchester primers, including magnum, and white box all day.

Question

There has been a question recently regarding the use of Vanek Triggers in Glock Pistols in Production Division. The question is whether this is an external modification. The only thing visible from the outside of the gun is: the trigger is slightly further back in the frame due to an internal decrease in pre travel, the rear of the trigger safety is trimmed a few thousanths so that it was will still engage and act as a safety, and, I think part of the front of the trigger saftey is smoothed as well.

Ruling

The Vanek trigger, much like the Speed Bump trigger, has an external modification that makes it illegal for Production division. The Speed Bump trigger has the travel screw mounted to the rear of the trigger and is visible externally, the Vanek trigger, has relocated the pivot pin about 3/16" above the factory specs, and has filled in the original hole with a black material that is still visible on inspection.

Is the trigger still illegal for Production Division? If so, how are so many people using it and getting away with it?

Nevermind, I went to the Vanek website and see he has new triggers available that do meet USPSA Production rules.

Edited by kgunz11

I was wondering if anyone has used the wolff spring kit? I Just ordered one, it consists of a striker spring, trigger spring and the safety plunger spring. I don't know if we are going to try one spring at a time, or all three and try it that way. I don't think there will be any problems with the plunger spring. I heard someone talking about the trigger feeling mushy with the trigger spring. Has anyone had reliability issues with the wolff striker spring? I just did the 25 cent trigger job, and am using the Ghost Rocket 3.5 trigger bar with the overtravel stop. Oh, it's on a G35.

I hope this doesn't drift this thread too far.

Edited to add: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...23&hl=wolff

Some good info here on the subject, if you want a quick rudown, it prettty much says "it depends", and experiment and see what works for you and your gun.

Jason

Edited by shooting for M

I switched to a Glockworx super-duper kit from the vanek 6 months ago.

3,500 rounds of factory UMC and WWB through the gun since then, not one single jam to report. Lighter, and with drastically reduced travel compared to the Vanek. But the Vanek is damn good, too.

(Two jams total, but they were both user-induced idiocy during a reload)

I've carried...and given out...probably a dozen trigger springs to shooters that come up to me at a match with a busted trigger spring.

Their's came from a trigger kit (Wolff spring, I believe).

Maybe they are better now...

The only light strikes I have ever had with my Sotelo kit in my G34 have been with *my* reloads. I imagine that those two were primers that weren't seated properly. I don't thoroughly inspect my practice ammo reloads, so there is no telling. Never had a problem at all with CCI Blazer (brass or aluminum) or Winchester White Box 9mm factory ammo when I was shooting it. Probably put 3k+ rounds of factory ammo through the gun with the Sotelo kit and never had a problem. I'm using the factory striker.

I do have to use the factory trigger spring in order to get the trigger to reset properly, but as Flex said, that's probably the way to go anyway due to breakages with the Wolff trigger springs.

For a defensive home gun I would use a factory firing pin spring and trigger spring for added insurance with no pre-travel removed.

Billmanweh, I don't know which trigger you have, but I offer 7 different triggers some have pre-travel removed and some don’t. Give me a call and I would be glad to help you out.

Charlie sent me a PM, and pointed something out.

I was comparing my kit (which I think is now called the Classic) to the Glockworx top-of-the-line. Which really isn't fair. I wasn't aware that Charlie had added a couple of new kits with reduced pretravel, which equalizes the biggest difference between what I'm using from GW, and the Vanek I used to run.

For a defensive home gun I would use a factory firing pin spring and trigger spring for added insurance with no pre-travel removed.

Billmanweh, I don't know which trigger you have, but I offer 7 different triggers some have pre-travel removed and some don’t. Give me a call and I would be glad to help you out.

I'm shooting a 34 with your Super Drop-In kit. I didn't mean to imply that I was having trouble with it at all. I was just curious what some other people's experience had been with aftermarket triggers.