Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

music

Vulture

Here i am sitting in my little office watching a PBS special on music of the sixties and Iron Butterfly is playing In a Gadda da Vida. The dudes are all old as hell, have bifocals and the lead guitarist looks like he just came off a 20 year acid trip. And they sound good as hell, and Maryln McCoo and Billy Davis jr and she sounds good too. What the heck has happened to music today that these people, old as they are, can still belt out the tunes ( no lip syncing here ) and draw crowds and todays music sucks. :blink: I even have some of these peoples records in my basement. <_< I think good music ended around 1979 or so.

That music is almost 30 years old. Think back to what your parents were listening to when they were your age. Was it the music of their youth or music that was new?

Chances are that you are starting to sound like your parents did at your age. Yes, that's right, you are the grumpy old fart now who thinks that the kids these days listen to crap! :rolleyes:

It happens to most of us because it is the music we listened to as impressionable youngsters that can still get us charged like it used to, while new things just sound foreign or lame. Welcome to the club

Its like every form of art nowadays. Look at all the remake movies.

We are done, we have nothing new, its all been done in every way, shape, and form.

Are we ready for the Dark Ages !! B)

I predict there will be wars and rumors of wars, famine, drought, disease, floods, hurricanes, earth quakes and a great wailing. B)

Its like every form of art nowadays. Look at all the remake movies.

We are done, we have nothing new, its all been done in every way, shape, and form.

Are we ready for the Dark Ages !! B)

I predict there will be wars and rumors of wars, famine, drought, disease, floods, hurricanes, earth quakes and a great wailing. B)

I know that the great wailing has started. :goof::lol:

I was born in 1970 and I love the music I grew up on (and some a little older). I can't say I don't listen to new music but I think your correct. A lot of the good stuff ended a long time ago.

Well, I think you have either good music or bad music. I don't think it is decade contingent though. I have been making my living as a session guitar player for 20 years now and the last ten in Nashville and in NY before that. What I can say is it is harder in many respects for new music to get air play thanks to the likes of clear channel. The internet is the only thing keeping a lot of new great music somewhat alive. What I would ask you as someone who thinks that good music really doesn't exist much anymore is how hard have you looked? Like I said, clear channel controls most of the radio anymore and in turn controls most of the labels. So, if clear channel don't like it, it ain't gettin' played. But it does exist, you just have to dig harder. Long gone are the days of the FM DJ playing what he wants just because he likes it (it is all pre programmed play list that you have to abide). Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon spent 741 weeks (thats 14 years) on billboards top selling album chart, and you could never convince me that Pink would even get a record deal in today's climate. No way could a song in 7 be released as a single (Money). So that is one of the biggest reasons it is so hard to find good music.

"I know that the great wailing has started."
Not to mention the gnashing of teeth....

I think there's been incredible music out of every decade. I heard something from the 1920s the other day (an era that was my parents' equivalent of the 1960s, I'm sure) that was incredibly catchy and I decided THEN that each decade had its talent--no question about it.

What makes things a bit different NOW is the freaky advancement of our technology... and the birth of the coliseum-class concerts and beyond--not to mention dramatic music videos as art, etc. Amplified music changed the audio arts tremendously.

It also depends on the motivations of the decade(s) in question, too: Like, what was happening globally/culturally/socially/economically during any given decade...? What were the concerns of the day...? How large a segment of the population was well-educated or well-informed at the time...? What did people want or need during these times...? What did they value...? These concerns can influence the arts (and indeed popular music) immensely. Yes, our popular music and popular entertainment types DO reflect our concerns of the moment.

What I do miss about radio, though, is that popular music radio used to be the soundtrack of our lives, a political and social "venue", if you will, for our concerns and opinions, and a locally programmed outlet that reflected the demographic and politics of the broadcast radius. In other words, our local radio stations were INFLUENTIAL ENTITIES that relflected the realities of our local, regional or even national politic and taste in popular music art.

A disc jockey was required to be a competent musicologist in his/her own right, a third-class-ticket station engineer, a news anchor (sometimes), and have a familiarity with the condition of the community that the station served. Radio stations were considered 'public trustees' and were required to present a good deal of material that supported the community in a variety of ways. The jock on the air was NOT a button-pushing moron who complied with the dictates of some large corporate entity in Missouri or somewhere, but a knowledgeable, competent professional who held considerable responsibility for what aired on his/her radio station.

I've had the pleasure and privilege of occupying several Music Directorship positions at several Western Region radio stations and got to call the shots about what music we played, who we promoted, and how we served our listeners. All I can say is what I did for each station worked like crazy. I did it for as long as I could get away with it, knowing that I was out-running "corporate" and that eventually they would win and I'd be out of work.

Corporate radio is the worst thing to hit the airwaves since a widespread power failure. It was like watching a train wreck.

Great post, SL.

I fondly recall being able to chat with DJ's and talk them into airing some deep cuts that rarely got played. Many times they'd say something like, "Oh yeah! I haven't heard that one in years. Thanks!" And they'd rush off to find the track and play it. The more stations go "corporate", the less of this we'll hear.

I have to agree with Jake that there's good stuff floating around out there. The difference, now, is that there's so much speculative money floating around out there that we get to hear a lot of crap, too. Styles have changed some, too, which is inevitable, and I think Siggy's spot on that technology has a lot to do with that sound change (in various directions...).

The "taste" of the masses has changed, too, in my experience - many people will listen to whatever, without any discernment for melody, harmony, song structure, lyrical content, etc.

There are bright spots out there, though, depending on which genres you're into - they may not show up on the radio, and they may not have the high budget albums that some of the less worthwhile artists are able to produce, but they have good tunes... ;)

The other cool thing we have going on is the Internet - there's music out there to be found that you'd have never been able to hear if you had to rely on the corporations to provide it. Go hunting - you'll find new music that competes with the old, I guarantee it ;)

That said - most new stuff sucks, I wholeheartedly agree. The classic rock that survives today beats the snot out of most of it... ;)

I'm inclined to agree with the hates posted in this thread. My diverse music taste takes me to some wildly divergent points, hence I haven't listened to corporate FM radio by choice in quite some time. XM radio, ipods, cds, internet, and digital cable offer far superior choices.

Just take a listen to the remake of Spears' Sexy Back...stick it to the corporate pop machine, all hail the free market! :ph34r:

http://www.myspace.com/rivethead

I'm inclined to agree with the hates posted in this thread. My diverse music taste takes me to some wildly divergent points, hence I haven't listened to corporate FM radio by choice in quite some time. XM radio, ipods, cds, internet, and digital cable offer far superior choices.

Just take a listen to the remake of Spears' Sexy Back...stick it to the corporate pop machine, all hail the free market! :ph34r:

http://www.myspace.com/rivethead

That is the great thing about music, someone will like it!!! And I think that is a Justin Timberlake song? I personally would lump that with the stuff vulture thinks is crap (no offense). Of all the songs to cover :wacko:

This is a perfect example of a song that is all fluff and no substance. It's like someone discovered a half step and decided to right a song around it. Without the production it is nothing. Maybe rivethead was making a statement............but guess who gets most all the money from revetheads remake. Yep, the original crap maker so they can make more crap!!!!!!! That being said I wish I wrote the stupid fu%#$ng song. I would be retired and going to every match in a tour bus with all my buds.

Piece out

That is the great thing about music, someone will like it!!! And I think that is a Justin Timberlake song? I personally would lump that with the stuff vulture thinks is crap (no offense). Of all the songs to cover :wacko:

This is a perfect example of a song that is all fluff and no substance. It's like someone discovered a half step and decided to right a song around it. Without the production it is nothing. Maybe rivethead was making a statement............but guess who gets most all the money from revetheads remake. Yep, the original crap maker so they can make more crap!!!!!!! That being said I wish I wrote the stupid fu%#$ng song. I would be retired and going to every match in a tour bus with all my buds.

Piece out

Yep, the producers and songwriters for Spears keep laughing all the way to the bank! :blink:

I'd be willing to bet the boys in Rivethead had a great time whilst remixing and recording. Kinda like non sequitur and surrealistic art.