Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How fast can you load on your Dillon?

My relaxed rate on my RL550 is 12 minutes for 100 rounds. That includes stopping to verify the powder charge weight on a balance scale 2 times per hundred. The weight has never needed adjusting so I probably don't have to do this, but it's a habit, and a safe one so I don't mind. I fill up all five primer tubes before starting so that's not included in my time. I have no reason or desire to go any faster. Slow and safe is my motto.

-Cuz.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I do 200 - 45ACP in about 40 mins, but just taking my time and enjoying the process

There is NO enjoyment is loading ammo. If you enjoy it, you have not likely been doing it very long. If you have been doing it for years and still enjoy it, we need to talk about loading my ammo for me. I will provide the components and reloaders ... drop me a note anytime!

Leo

450 hour SDB. I usually do 200 rounds per night in about 30 minutes. Spreads it out, makes it enjoyable, and provides a break from the BS of the day cause your mind is occupied (or should be) on what you're doing. 1000 in one sitting sucks.

... I do 200 - 45ACP in about 40 mins, but just taking my time and enjoying the process

There is NO enjoyment is loading ammo. If you enjoy it, you have not likely been doing it very long. If you have been doing it for years and still enjoy it, we need to talk about loading my ammo for me. I will provide the components and reloaders ... drop me a note anytime!

Leo

A wise man has spoken. Reloading is just barely above having a root canal. My elbow aches, my back hurts---I hate hate hate it. I am always on the prowl for an easier quicker way to load ammo---I wish I could afford to buy a pallet of Alanta Arms ammo each year. Every year I calculate the cost difference, but I am too cheap/poor to do it.

On my 1050 or Super 1050 I average 600 per hour for pistol and average 500 per hour rifle. I am not in that much of a hurry to see how many I can load. No matter how slow (within reason) that I go on my presses I can still load faster than I can shoot.

I have the powder check die and the low powder sensor. There is also a lighted mirror angled so I can see the powder in each case before I seat the bullet.

Knock on wood I have only had one squib load in 44 years of loading. One was two too many. :surprise:

Just for fun today I timed myself to see how fast I could load 100 rounds of 38 Super on my 1050 w/ KISS bullet feeder. Now, granted, I was going as fast as possible and could not keep up that pace for long......nor would I want to.

I did the 100 rounds in exactly 2 minutes and 18 seconds. :D

Leo

A wise man has spoken. Reloading is just barely above having a root canal. My elbow aches, my back hurts---I hate hate hate it. I am always on the prowl for an easier quicker way to load ammo---I wish I could afford to buy a pallet of Alanta Arms ammo each year. Every year I calculate the cost difference, but I am too cheap/poor to do it.

I can average 300 per hour on a 550B in either 9mm or .45 -- Press is setup but empty. Remove press cover, load primer tubes, fill powder measure, get out scale, fill bullet tray and load. Clock starts when I walk through the door. I should try loading up a couple primer tubes at one time and see what that does to my overall time. I feel compelled to look into each charged case to verify correct powder level prior to bullet seating and the occasional reweigh every 20-30 rounds.

Certainly not at Master level. My speed is closer to Marksman...

On a Square Deal B (.45ACP), 100rds. in 9 minutes is easy. I did 200rds. in 17.5 minutes. You can take a break and get 500 an hour on the SDB, which is begging for a case feeder by the way.

A little off topic, but a +1 to reloading 100 rounds per day (unless you shoot more than 700 per week of course) every day.

No matter what press you have, reloading 100 round every day will build you a nice stash and it doesn't become as tedious as a long session.

I timed myself on the 650 (with case feeder) one day.

I had 8 primer tubes loaded and ready to go. I think that I had th brass ready too (had already applied One Shot to it). In less than 45 minutes, I had 800 rounds of 40 done.

Nice, smooth pace.

I didn't time it but I loaded about 2k rounds last night just so wouldn't have to do it later. It will save me more time than I realize. .40 practically reloads itself. Based on the wall clock, I'm slower than 1000 per hour on a 650, but not by much. I've mashed my fingers a few good times too, and have sheared a few cases in half, but caution tends to smooth things out for me.

A good sustainable pace for me on a 1050 is about 800 an hour if I don't have to worry about slinging powder out of the cases. On compressed loads, it's probably down to about 500 rounds/hour.

Man, I know all you guys are into speed, but the idea of a progressive loader is not to go as fast as humanly possible, but to make quality rounds in a "reasonable" amount of time...the first time you have a squib followed by a regular round, you will stop trying to go as fast as you can. ;)

Man, I know all you guys are into speed, but the idea of a progressive loader is not to go as fast as humanly possible, but to make quality rounds in a "reasonable" amount of time...the first time you have a squib followed by a regular round, you will stop trying to go as fast as you can. ;)

Yeah, and you also get the highest hitfactor if you shoot in control, but sometimes it's just fun to see how fast you can go ;)

In the end, it doesn't really matter unless you shoot a LOT of rounds.

When I hear people say: "Man, I can load a hundred rounds in 5 minutes with the new 1050 with the KISS, and it took me at least 10 minutes on the 650!", I always scratch my head... ;)

Off to load 100 rounds (in as much as 12(!!!) minutes... :(;))

When I first started reloading I did my first 100 rounds in only 4 hours. I got done and shot them and though "wow, this is awesome!". Then a buddy and I bought a SDB together - that was AWESOME!

I use a vibraprime and load my primer tubes while watching tv, then go and load 500 at a time - takes a shade over an hour at the machine, but I always double check my charge and COL when I start and visually inspect each case to make sure it's got powder before placing the bullet. 10's of thousands of rounds loaded and 1 squib so far.

~Mitch