Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4 or 6 rounds in a stripper?

badchad

I’m looking for some stripper shotshell holders for 3 gun and doing a search on the topic here I think I want the Progressive Machine and tool ones. However should the 4 shell holder version or the 6 shell holder? Also how many strippers should I get? Thanks.

I’m looking for some stripper shotshell holders for 3 gun and doing a search on the topic here I think I want the Progressive Machine and tool ones. However should the 4 shell holder version or the 6 shell holder? Also how many strippers should I get? Thanks.

A lot will depend on loading technique and how many shells you can reliably grab/use at a time. If the answer's 4, then the four shell trays would be my choice. If the answer's 2 or 3, I might think about the sixes....

I've been thinking a lot about rounds for strippers since I've been away from home for a while.

I almost pulled the trigger on buying some four rounders. My reasoning was that if I reach for shells and grab five instead of four it really screws things up for my medium sized hands. Then I remembered that even if I grab my four shells just right I might drop one or two, but never more than four while reloading them weak hand. So I finally decided that having 6 round holders is the right thing to do, but when I plan for how many I should have around my belt I count them as four each. So if I need to reload 12 rounds I carry 18 and so on.

What kind of strippers are we talkin about??

post-2749-1204896362.jpg

I would go for 6 rounds, if thats too many, you can always put a spacer in to limit them to 4 rounds

Edited by TRUBL

Merlin's still upset about the "pole tax" here in Texas.

I use the 6 round "carriers" when I was only grabbing 3 I would go to that holder twice, then I started grabbing 4, so I only placed 4 in the 6 round "carrier", now occassionally I grab 5 rounds whenever I may need to, at which point I put 5 rounds in the "carrier". As far as how many "carriers" I have 5 on the weakhand side (6 rounders) and 2 on the stronghand side (4 rounders). the stronghand side "carriers" get used for ODD ammo, like the one or two slug rounds needed on a stage, so that you know you're grabbing slugs and not shot, or vice versa.

The longer "carriers" allow me a better grip on a stack of ammo than the shorter ones do, if the stage calls for a lot of ammo then I may load up the 6 round "carriers" with 6 rounds, but very rarely.

As for rounds in a stripper, I think the bartender waters their drinks down so they can perform with out throwing up on patrons, so it takes a lot!!!!!!

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

I have two of each. Arranged on the belt to best suit the stage at hand. On my six rounders I have ground a generous notch (Not big enough to interfere or change the way the shells are removed) in tne front of the carrier that I can feel with my finger right in between the fourth and fifth shell. Really cut down on grabbing five when I wanted four. Also helps to reinforce the muscle memory in dry fire practice and load.

With me it's as much a matter of comfort as anything. The 4 rounders are just more comfortable to wear on the front of my belt. The 6 rounders are in the way when I bend over, but not too bad if they're toward the side. At Ironman, I have 4 rounders from the holster across my front, with a sixer in front of my left hip, and one behind my holster where I carry the slugs. And a forearm carrier. And a bandoleer. And a comfortable stripper I pick up from a local joint, who I pay to follow me and hand me ammo as needed! ;)

Seriously, though, I think the six rounders would be more comfortable if I lost some of the belt "overhang". But, since I do most of my reloading 4 at a time, right handed (Carlock Shuffle method), the 4 rounders suit me.

• 2 months later...

As a "pluck and stuff" reloader the only kind of strippers I will be looking to buy are the one's Tim mentions......

Hmmmm........ :devil:

Pluck and stuff......has a nice ring to it even when applied to the "other" type of strippers.....

Having a LOT of experience in this area, always choose the one with small hands.......... I have 2 fours and 2 sixes, paraphrasing Mr. Tewlman, be ready for any situation! :cheers:

Thanks all for the info. I ended up buying two of the six rounders and three of the four rounders. I put the four rounders in front of my belt and the six rounders around the side. It seems to be working out well, the four rounders feel like they strip better, and with the longer ones on the side, I can carry 24 rounds total and they don’t get in the way if I need to bend over.

I have a new setup for Ironman, 5 of the 4 shell carriers on my belt between my holster and my pistol mags and 5 more 4 shell carriers on an old bandoleer across my chest. Now I have room for 40 rounds in strippers, 8 rounds on the gun and 8 more on my forearm for a total of 56. Even that may not be enough! I'll see if I can get the wife to take a picture tonight, but she might be too busy laughing to get a good shot.

Doug

this thread is useless without pictures!

I think the picture I posted was about the worst that could be posted with out getting deleted.....am I wrong?

Since this thread started, I switched to a 18 round arm band on my left arm.....and except for those 39 round shotgun COF's I'm good to go.

PS....I use 6 rounds now, but I'm plucking and stuffing a 20y...er I mean,a 20 gauge

PSS....finally found the thread, eh Merlin??

Edited by TRUBL

• 3 weeks later...

With practice, you will train yourself to grab as many as you can handle. Work up to four at a time.

I have six six-round strippers from California Comp with tek-loks (the tek-loks are attached upside down so I can remove them more easily without taking the belt off). The tek-loks make it easy to put on and take off depending on the stage, especially for shooting 3gun. That's thirty six rounds good for most courses of fire, assuming you starting with 8+1 in the gun. I always have a bandoleer made by 3gungear in the bag just in case I'm required to start a long course of fire with an empty gun. I rarely have to use the bandoleer, but it's better to have, than have not. The strippers are far more organized that a drop pouch. Far too many times I've seen shooters run out of ammo with only a couple of targets left.

Oops i forgot, you can't miss with bird shot. ;)

Aluminum screw post (1/4" post with 3/8" screws with purple lok-tite) Make sure to place tek-lok high enough (level with the top of the thumb grove) to keep the stripper springs in place . BTW, I put the spacer opposite the side of the shell brass end and placed the velcro tab in the middle of the side wall so the spacer toggles keeping the two or three remaining shells from falling out when running. Also, i added a little velcro to the tek-lok as you can see in picture four.

Hope this helps.

post-6710-1214743734.jpgpost-6710-1214743521.jpg post-6710-1214743507.jpg post-6710-1214743531.jpg post-6710-1214743542.jpg

Edited by ddjm