Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Tips and Tricks

ErikW

Since I had already fixed my problem of the shell not lining up with the sizing die in Station 1, I don't need the precision for that (and my other calibers never had the problem).

What was the fix?

jj

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I had already fixed my problem of the shell not lining up with the sizing die in Station 1, I don't need the precision for that (and my other calibers never had the problem).

What was the fix?

jj

In order, I did these things:

1) Leveled the press right-to-left, it was leaning half-bubble to the right. Set it with a 1/4 bubble bias to the LEFT.

2) Loosened and re-set the Station 1 sizing die a couple of times. Each time I learned something new.

3) Installed the bearing mod that fixes the shellplate 'click'.

4) Re-set the Station 1 sizing die with a bit of intentional bias in how it leaned.

Suddenly it worked 100%. The bearing mod for shellplate click made a big difference, the most difference.

A big shout out to the author of that one.

Re-setting the station 1 sizing die with a bit of bias (very slight) made a slight difference, brought me from one in 200 to never.

So, to me it appears to be a tolerance stackup thing because the toolhead fits in the machine a bit loosely and the die threads seem a bit sloppy for the dies too.

I do recommend the clamped toolhead, they even have you install it in a way that nearly guarantees accurate line-up.

You put it in with all but the last 2 turns of the clamping hardware down,

then you load rounds until all 5 stations have something in them,

then you raise the ram and then you tighten the screws.

Like a Swiss watch after that.

Also, I just installed the micrometer powder bar kit that lets you use a dial to go back to exact powder settings.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

This is excellent, I highly recommend it if you change your powder charge.

Now I can use the same powder and powder measure for three pistol calibers and switch between charges by turning a knob. I do still a quick check of the charge with my scale once, but it's SO much easier and faster than the Dillon screw turn-and-try method. $50 well spent since now I don't have to buy more powder measures.

I'm willing to pay the money up-front for decades of faster, easier use of an important tool.

This after many years of suffering, of course.

Matt....

About time someone machined a piece like that!! Very NICE. I will bookmark your link and offer it up to folks I run across who have not "fixed" this problem via other means or methods.

Reasonably priced too.

Congratulations and good luck.

Bob

I found this page after looking for a fix for the primer problem but after reading the fix I was a little scared to jam a shell casing into a relatively new press. I too found a solution on ebay but its a complete system, it looks like the same thing as that one just a little more fancier. I've only loaded a few hundred rounds with it so far but it works great I haven't had to pick any old primers off the bench since I installed it.

Here's the one I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dillon-XL-650-Spent-Pr...93%3A1|294%3A50

ED

I found this page after looking for a fix for the primer problem but after reading the fix I was a little scared to jam a shell casing into a relatively new press. I too found a solution on ebay but its a complete system, it looks like the same thing as that one just a little more fancier. I've only loaded a few hundred rounds with it so far but it works great I haven't had to pick any old primers off the bench since I installed it.

Here's the one I bought

ED

This is a very good idea. I had thought about doing this but just didn't jump on it.

• 1 month later...

Here's the one I bought

ED

FYI This will NOT work on earlier XL-650 presses.

• 2 months later...

My 2 minute and $0.02 fix to the spent primers issue. I took the cup off of the machine and wrapped the front upper portion with clear packing tape bought at the post office. It keeps any primers from hopping out of the cup which I found to be 90% of my problem. Using clear tape allows me to look into the cup and check the level of the spent primers. I don't need to re-tape the cup when dumping the spent primers and I can slide it on and off with no issue b/c I taped it carefully.

I found after taping the cup that the other 10% of lost primers was still a pain. I pulled out a piece of .223 brass but couldn't remember the instructions of how to install it and didn't feel like going to get a computer. After looking at the plate that holds the spent primer cup on I realized I could unscrew it from the maching and make a funnel to keep the spent primers headed to the cup. I grabbed an old Federal primer cardboard cover and cut it down into a small piece. I formed into three sides and cut it so I could fold it in half. I was able to sit it on the plate that holds the cup and re-attach the plate and squeeze the cardboard into place. Now the primers have no choice but to head for the cup and then they can't escape from there either.

I can reload about 1500 rounds before I need to dump the cup.

I can take some photos if anyone is interested.

My 2 minute and $0.02 fix to the spent primers issue. I took the cup off of the machine and wrapped the front upper portion with clear packing tape bought at the post office. It keeps any primers from hopping out of the cup which I found to be 90% of my problem. Using clear tape allows me to look into the cup and check the level of the spent primers. I don't need to re-tape the cup when dumping the spent primers and I can slide it on and off with no issue b/c I taped it carefully.

I found after taping the cup that the other 10% of lost primers was still a pain. I pulled out a piece of .223 brass but couldn't remember the instructions of how to install it and didn't feel like going to get a computer. After looking at the plate that holds the spent primer cup on I realized I could unscrew it from the maching and make a funnel to keep the spent primers headed to the cup. I grabbed an old Federal primer cardboard cover and cut it down into a small piece. I formed into three sides and cut it so I could fold it in half. I was able to sit it on the plate that holds the cup and re-attach the plate and squeeze the cardboard into place. Now the primers have no choice but to head for the cup and then they can't escape from there either.

a photo to show how you taped it would be good.

Thanks

a photo to show how you taped it would be good.

Thanks

Here you go....

post-14570-1259291571_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
https://www.m2tactical.com/c-172-reloading.aspx

This will fix the problem of shell's running into the bottom the the dies - espically on station #1...

Jim

I happened to buy some of them earlier this year.

Below is a copy of the PM I sent to Fastshooter03 (Nick) who is the manufacturer.

You can tell I'm happy with the product that work just as advertised.

Nick told me before I bought them that they might need some filing on the flange to fit them in the press, so there was no surprise either.

I recommend this product, as it solved a recurrent problem with my XL650, and I'm not affiliated in any way with the people making or selling it.

:)

Copy of the PM to the manufacturer:

Hi Nick,

I was finally able to use the tool heads last week.

They work great.

No more problem with 38 Super cases not aligning in station 1.

At first, the tool heads would not fit in the press slots. So I filed them down a little, in order to get a tight fit.

Now they don't move at all, and the cases in station 1 all go straight into the sizing/decap die everytime, which was not the case with original tool heads.

I'm very satisfied, thank you.

• 1 month later...

The only problem I had was with the adjusting nut on the powder measure rod. It kept loosening up. I just put a regular nut on the rod to act as a lock nut against the rod nut and no problems since.

Jerry

I just received my 650 and have yet to assemble it. I was wondering if blue loctite would be of any use on the bolts. Has anyone noticed any parts loosening overtime on their 650?

i wouldn't worry about the bolts, but a little loctite will not hurt anything. i also put loctite on the dies after i get them adjusted.

lynn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have not seen this one amongst all the valuable tips here. I took the power cord loose from the case feeder and ran it up through the middle of the support post after opening the hole up a bit that was originally used for the case feed tube support. Then all you have to do is run an electrical outlet under your bench,set the length of the cord and gather all the excess cord up into the case feeder.

000_0007.jpg

000_0008.jpg

000_0004.jpg

000_0005.jpg

000_0006.jpg

The switch on the electrical box is for my Lyman 450 lubrisizer since it has no on/off switch of its own. :(

• 3 weeks later...

i guess im one of those few who doesn't have any problem with spent primers all over the place.

i havent seen this tip but i keep one bottle of compressed gas duster (for PC or laptops) and blow powder off the shellplate. im one of those guys that dont read the manual :roflol: i found out too (the hard way) of keeping the arm of the press lubed (its the shiny thing that goes up and down) ;)

i would say periodically check tightness of dies, they come loose sometimes.

I have not seen this one amongst all the valuable tips here. I took the power cord loose from the case feeder and ran it up through the middle of the support post after opening the hole up a bit that was originally used for the case feed tube support. Then all you have to do is run an electrical outlet under your bench,set the length of the cord and gather all the excess cord up into the case feeder.

000_0007.jpg

000_0008.jpg

000_0004.jpg

000_0005.jpg

000_0006.jpg

The switch on the electrical box is for my Lyman 450 lubrisizer since it has no on/off switch of its own. :(

I run my electrical outlets from the ceiling so that the cords go up. :)

Has anyone had problems with the decapping pin reseating the spent primer? I polished the tip but still have an occasional problem

I don't use the Dillon pins anymore, just the Lyman - they are smaller in diameter.

First you take the broken Dillon pin, then you cut/grind off the remaining pin. Install the Lyman pin into the die cap and drop the remaining Dillon pin on top and tighten cap. Don't worry, the pin will be centered. :)

i guess im one of those few who doesn't have any problem with spent primers all over the place.

i havent seen this tip but i keep one bottle of compressed gas duster (for PC or laptops) and blow powder off the shellplate. im one of those guys that dont read the manual :roflol: i found out too (the hard way) of keeping the arm of the press lubed (its the shiny thing that goes up and down) ;)

i would say periodically check tightness of dies, they come loose sometimes.

I have a small compressor in the basement and have a line running to both benches, but I did use canned air originally. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had problems with the decapping pin reseating the spent primer? I polished the tip but still have an occasional problem

My Dad replaced the spring with a heavier one and if you can stand the "popping" sound the primers won't stick anymore.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Lots of great information here. Was happy to see I was not alone with some of the issues I've read so far.

I have few mods I've made to help things along.:

One problem I had was when a smaller case would get stuck in a larger case and jam up the tube full of cases from the case feeder. When the tube was full, with a case pushing against the sensor switch, it is near impossible to dislodge it and be able to pull the tube out to clear it. I cut a small slot in the top of the tube about and 1 1/2" long. Now when the case gets lodged, a bent paper clip can be inserted in the slot in the tube, to push the cases up past the end of the tube, so the the tube can be pulled free, and case log jam tended to.

I also took a small round auto convex disc mirror and mounted it on an angle bracket on the side of the bowl of the case feeder. Now I could see inside the bowl, while seated at my loading bench.

Lastly, used to have my wife's .32 HR brass get mixed in the the .38's. The smaller .32's would sometimes lodge inside the 38 cases and get stuck on the depriming post in the resizing die. I ground down the knurled nut that secures the depriming pin, so it would easily slide out of the 32 case. NO more struggling to get it free from being jammed inside the 32. The .32 easliy slid off and no longer brought things to a halt.

Edited by SASS20485

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That is a pretty stiff compression washer. Contact Dillon and get a new one. I have a Unique Tek micrometer on my powder bar and noticed the setting changed the other day because the rod that resets the powder bar wasn't lined up right and caused a violent jolt which was enough to change the setting. Once I lined it up correctly, all was good and the setting hasn't changed 2k rounds later.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Watch e-bay, Dillon 650 spent primer upgrade. this gentleman has invented the perfect fix for this problem.$25.00, minutes to install.

I have two of them, and they work perfectly !!

If you look at post #76 and #75 I would say he took my idea and produced them with a slight modification.I use a baby wipe box under the strong mount that the primers go into. Only need to empty it once or twice a year.