Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Tips and Tricks

ErikW

I found a that a small candle plate mirror at the Hobby Shop store for $4.99 and Industrial Strength Velcro to mount the mirror to the ceiling over the casefeeder so you can see how close to empty the case feeder is works great.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not interested in paying for a bullet feeder but I was thinking of a tube similar to the primer tube that you could fill will bullets (maybe 20 or so). So it would be very similar to the auto bullet feeder but you would be the one dropping them in the tube.has anybody done this? Pictures? Materials?

Here you go $28 feeder

Ordered the parts, have to give this a try.

I don't like wires, so I ran my casefeeder power cord down the tube, through the base and benchtop, and into a power strip. I also have been looking for a small flexible light for it, and found this one at WalMart for 4.97. Took it apart, painted the shade blue, made a mount that will clamp on the casefeeder tube, and also ran the wire through the tube.

Here's some pics:

post-42635-0-71593600-1347903184_thumb.j

post-42635-0-64682800-1347903191_thumb.j

post-42635-0-24131900-1347903199_thumb.j

You'll like the setup; I've been using the $28 feeder for over a year for 3 different calibers and it works and is very affordable.

My only concern is losing the sight picture of the case with powder as it cycles by, as I've always used that as a checkpoint. I got the dies in over the weekend, played around with them and sure enough, they feed them bullets! Not sure just how much faster I will be, but want to give it a try.

You'll like the setup; I've been using the $28 feeder for over a year for 3 different calibers and it works and is very affordable.

My only concern is losing the sight picture of the case with powder as it cycles by, as I've always used that as a checkpoint. I got the dies in over the weekend, played around with them and sure enough, they feed them bullets! Not sure just how much faster I will be, but want to give it a try.

There is plenty of room and time to view the powder in the case prior to dropping the bullet. At least I have no issues checking each case for powder before pulling the handle.

• 5 months later...

Alternative fix for powder spills caused by spring:

For those who don't want to cut or alter the spring under the plate... go to Home Depot and buy a Spring Assortment pack for $4.

Try different springs until you find one that doesn't cause spills.

I picked a spring that was a bit longer, but had less tension. Works perfectly, with no spills at all.

David

Great first post. Thanks for the tip. Did not know there was such an item at HD.

Any chance of a pic of which spring you choose? Maybe compared to the original one?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Having trouble on a new 650 with the brass case (45acp) not lining up with station #1. Sometimes i get a jam and a slight release of the handle and then complete downstroke works. I put a single case in station #1 and can see as the die hits the case it slightly tilts the case while its feeding into the die. If I put a little clockwise (very little) pressure on the shellplate it lines up perfect. What is the fix?? Thanks.....

Having trouble on a new 650 with the brass case (45acp) not lining up with station #1. Sometimes i get a jam and a slight release of the handle and then complete downstroke works. I put a single case in station #1 and can see as the die hits the case it slightly tilts the case while its feeding into the die. If I put a little clockwise (very little) pressure on the shellplate it lines up perfect. What is the fix?? Thanks.....

Try the easiest fix first. Loosen all dies and run brass up into them and then tighten. This usually helps unless it is waaaay off.

Could not be going into the shell plate all the way. I had this problem recently and the fix was an adjustment to the camming pin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally got around to doing my own fix on the misbegotten Dillon primer cup problem.....then it turned out I didn't have to do much. There's a YT video on some Aussie (sounds like) who just used a .303 British case. Beauty of this is 1) it's rimmed, so it can slip between the sheet metal bracket that holds the Dillon plastic cup, just back off the screws enough, and 2) the groove above the rim of the .303 case slides onto that metal bracket like it was made to do it. It's Zen, I tell ya! Then there was the nice part (apart from having several old .303 cases lying around), which is that I had several old pieces of 7/16 OD / 5/16 ID vinyl tubing of the appropriate length on hand, and that stuff has just a beautiful interference fit over the case neck of the .303.

Total actual work involved: Drilling out the case head of the .303 case with a 5/16" bit. I now have a straight shot for primers....right into a bucket!

Finally got around to doing my own fix on the misbegotten Dillon primer cup problem.....then it turned out I didn't have to do much. There's a YT video on some Aussie (sounds like) who just used a .303 British case. Beauty of this is 1) it's rimmed, so it can slip between the sheet metal bracket that holds the Dillon plastic cup, just back off the screws enough, and 2) the groove above the rim of the .303 case slides onto that metal bracket like it was made to do it. It's Zen, I tell ya! Then there was the nice part (apart from having several old .303 cases lying around), which is that I had several old pieces of 7/16 OD / 5/16 ID vinyl tubing of the appropriate length on hand, and that stuff has just a beautiful interference fit over the case neck of the .303.

Total actual work involved: Drilling out the case head of the .303 case with a 5/16" bit. I now have a straight shot for primers....right into a bucket!

You might want to post a link to that video for us ALL..thanks to all for the tips

• 3 weeks later...

I think good information on these 650 topics is going into several different threads on this forum. Anyhoo, since I finally got the 650 cranked up for some Spring reloading yesterday, I implemented the two shellplate mods (needle bearing / washers + phenolic resin ball & spring), a nice cheap LED light shining down through the #3 hole in the toolhead to illuminate my powder drop, and the .303 British case mod as a replacement for Dillon's somewhat whimsical primer cup.

I've seen that video, but no longer have the link. Here's a pic of what I did, it's beautifully simple (or I probably wouldn't have tried it):

post-6053-0-69541600-1394551558_thumb.jp

• 5 weeks later...

I've only put a couple hundred rounds through my casefeeder, but this thing is ridiculously week. Seems like it can only handle a couple hundred 9mm shells at a time. Is there something wrong with it or are they just like that. If they are, is there someway to juice them up?

Is the feeder shell plate stopping, but the motor keeps running? If so try tightening up the two "clutch" screws on the feeder shell plate that regulates the slipping.

I have put about 750 38 super in the feeder and it worked as it should dropping brass faster than I can load 'em (about 20 rounds/minute).

Is the feeder shell plate stopping, but the motor keeps running? If so try tightening up the two "clutch" screws on the feeder shell plate that regulates the slipping.

I have put about 750 38 super in the feeder and it worked as it should dropping brass faster than I can load 'em (about 20 rounds/minute).

That appears to be it. Thanks Man!

I should have added that when the clutch screws are tightened be sure not to over tighten so the clutch won't slip.

If a case gets trapped the shell plate clutch still needs to be able to slip so the motor doesn't get overly bogged down or stop running.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Another tip: If you're adjusting the powder measure and have primers in the feeder, pull the black plastic angle part that advances the primer feed off the machine-- it's one hex bolt to remove and install, and it doesn't need to be adjusted.

I know this was posted many years ago, but I want to make sure I am understanding the suggestion. I want to adjust the powder measure so that I can do 10 powder drops and then measure the total powder and divide by 10 while there are still primers present in the feeder. So, shred is suggesting that the "black plastic angle part" be removed when doing this. Does anyone know which part this is on the Dillon website schematic of the Primer System Assembly? A part on a different one of their schematics?