Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Tips and Tricks

ErikW

Cheap bullet tray & wrench holder for XL650.

I needed a bullet tray that was removable, held a fair amount, and was cheap. My XL650 AKRO bin is both the perfect size and removable. You likely have most of the materials on hand so cost is minimal.

Buy a finished bullet bracket from 550B Strong Mount from Dillon ($18). Mount in holes you drill in leg. Tool holder is a 4x4 post cut down and at an angle, lag bolted from inside leg, with holes drilled into top for allen wrenches (ball end set on sale at Harbor Freight for $6), nails on front for open end box wrenches (on sale at Harbor Freight for $7), and nail for Dillon's bench wrench at back. Sprayed flat black.

100_2063.jpg

100_2062.jpg

100_2027.jpg

Edited by CO Steve

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lower XL650 Casefeeder:

Mark line at bottom of your casefeeder sitting on the support pipe, remove casefeeder and measure distance from line to top of pipe. Mark line just at bend in case feeder support tube and measure up same distance measured before. Cut off support pipe at measured line. Cut same length off of the feed tube (at bottom end, not top). Mount as usual and your casefeeder will be lower and easier to check, fill, change plates, etc.

100_2025.jpg

Wood powder measure knobs:

Take 2" hole saw and drill in 1/4" thick hardwood. Drop 1/2" hex head bolt in center hole and mark head shape. Take Exacto knife and cut out shape for press on fit. Paint knob, file notch in top edge, mark notch with white crayon, and press on to powder measure adjustment bolt. Print label on self stick printer label and apply.

PowderMeasureKnob.jpg

Primer Assy. Stand:

A 2nd Primer assy makes changing out primer sizes a quick treat. I made these stands from scrap stock I had laying around. Mark your assy (small or large) so you don't forget which is which.

Spare primer assy makes primer size change a 20 second effort.

100_2072.jpg

Edited by CO Steve

I apologize up front if this is a repost:

I use a drier fabric softner sheet and wipe the inside of my powder measures with it. It cuts the static cling to almost nothing so powder doesn't stick inside the measure when emptying it.

I found another amazing use for these sheets when I went to Alaska last year: they work well to remove dead bugs from the front of your vehicle and trailer. Don't put them in the drier when you're done though.... :mellow:

• 1 month later...

I like to see the creative tool holders shown here. I use a magnetic tool strip sold at most Lowes or Home Depots. It is about 18" long and 2" tall. I screwed it right to the front of my reloading bench, off to the left side, and just stick all of the little wrenches and punches there. Need a tool? Just grab the one you need, make your adjustment, and just stick it right back on the magnet strip. Stays right there and is instantly available for the next use. It beats having to hang stuff on a nail or stick a hex wrench in a hole.

• 2 weeks later...
Lower XL650 Casefeeder:

Mark line at bottom of your casefeeder sitting on the support pipe, remove casefeeder and measure distance from line to top of pipe. Mark line just at bend in case feeder support tube and measure up same distance measured before. Cut off support pipe at measured line. Cut same length off of the feed tube (at bottom end, not top). Mount as usual and your casefeeder will be lower and easier to check, fill, change plates, etc.

100_2025.jpg

Wood powder measure knobs:

Take 2" hole saw and drill in 1/4" thick hardwood. Drop 1/2" hex head bolt in center hole and mark head shape. Take Exacto knife and cut out shape for press on fit. Paint knob, file notch in top edge, mark notch with white crayon, and press on to powder measure adjustment bolt. Print label on self stick printer label and apply.

PowderMeasureKnob.jpg

Primer Assy. Stand:

A 2nd Primer assy makes changing out primer sizes a quick treat. I made these stands from scrap stock I had laying around. Mark your assy (small or large) so you don't forget which is which.

Spare primer assy makes primer size change a 20 second effort.

100_2072.jpg

Hmmm. I noticed a problem with your set up......

ITS TOO NEAT!!!! :surprise:

Now you are making me self-conscious.... :unsure:

Primers getting turned-- check to be sure the primer punch is screwed in tight (and is the correct size).  If it gets a bit loose, all kinds of hinky stuff can happen.

Check for a burr on the feed insert too.

Shred,

I have a question about this and was hoping you could help. I got my 650 about 2 months ago and have loaded about 1500 rounds on it (Super). Initially, it ran smoothly for about the first 300 rounds. Then it started getting a little stiff to run. I would clean it (under the shellplate) etc., and try to find wat was making it feel like it was sticking (or meeting resistance). The last 200 - 300 rounds, I have been getting a lot of sideways and crushed primers. It Last night, I started watching it closely and saw that the primers are getting turned sideways as they come into the seating station. They are hitting the edge of the primer punch. The owners manual says that the punch must be screwed in all the way. If that is the case then the primers are hitting the punch and can not get to the seating position. I took the assembly apart last night and saw that the punch has actually been dragging on the bottom of the primer plate (it actually scored it). Would you agree that I have a bad punch? If the punch assembly is screwed in all the way, there is no way for a primer to slide over it into the seating position without resitance and ultimately turning sideways. Any idea how far the punch is supposed to stick up out of the 650 frame when fully screwed in? If I back the punch out a little, the machine functions smoothy - but it has to be just right. Since the nut is not locked down, I am assuming that it will eventually move. Any ideas/thoughts?

Jack,

It does sound like you have either an out of spec punch or for some reason the hole that it screws into is out of spec. The top of the punch body should be flush with the body of the press in that area. Either way, just call Dillon. They're open tomorrow (Saturday) before 2:00 IIRC. Talk to them and they'll walk you through some possibilities. Most likely they'll send you a new punch assembly but also let them know about the primer plate too.

Also, make sure that you have about 0.003 clearance between the spring arm and the casing. This is about the thickness of a business card. Having the spring arm too tight against the case will also result in tipped primers. I made this mistake myself.

Edited by XD Niner

• 4 months later...
...But it is a good match for the cable tie that pulls the finished cartridge ramp wall away from the turret so the turret can move up.

Read my reply here. The fix is stupid obvious... (pinch the sides of the chute together with pliers to narrow it 1/8")

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69994

• 1 month later...

I mounted 12 x 12 inch mirrored tiles available at Lowe's or Home Depot above the case feeders on my 650's so that I can simply look up and see what is left in the case feeder hopper. I don't have to stand up from my comfy chair while reloading to see when I need to throw more cases in.

Edited by Andrew B

I mounted 12 x 12 inch mirrored tiles available at Lowe's or Home Depot above the case feeders on my 650's so that I can simply look up and see what is left in the case feeder hopper. I don't have to stand up from my comfy chair while reloading to see when I need to throw more cases in.

I am SO going to do this.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I was on my way to Lowes this morning......think I will just add this to my list.....Great idea...

Another trick to lower the 650 case feeder and turn it too the left is get the SL900 #17124 shot post. Cut some of the tubing from the top to make it 21 3/8” tall. From my table top too the top of the case feeder with strong mount is 36 ½”. I wanted too turn the case feeder so it was easier too get into the cabinets behind my 650.

I was having trouble with a new (Got it for Christmas) xl-650 primer feed/seating station. I am reloading 38spl and it is crushing half of the primer in the cases or not putting them in at all. I called Dillon and they had me try to adjust the small metal piece that holds the case in but after no luck I bent it inward a tiny bit and this helped tremendously. After loading about 200 rounds it quit feeding primers all together. I took the primer assembly apart and clean with a rag and that fixed the problem, so I don't know if it was dirty or not but it fixed that. Then finally Sunday morning I was loading 300 rounds and it started crushing primers again, (Dillon still can’t tell me why) I finally quit when I seated a primer and it went off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums Bill,

I got a 650 for Christmas too, and I was having a simular problem. I was crushing primers.

I noticed my shell plate wasn't centered over the primer pin for 3 of the 5 spots. Called Dillon, thinking my shell plate was out of spec. He had me adjust the shell plate tension.

Got off the phone and thought all was well, until I crushed another primer. Then I adjusted the small metal piece that holds the case in and it has been perfect since. So check your shell plate to primer line-up.

Good Luck

George

Welcome to the forums Bill,

I got a 650 for Christmas too, and I was having a simular problem. I was crushing primers.

I noticed my shell plate wasn't centered over the primer pin for 3 of the 5 spots. Called Dillon, thinking my shell plate was out of spec. He had me adjust the shell plate tension.

Got off the phone and thought all was well, until I crushed another primer. Then I adjusted the small metal piece that holds the case in and it has been perfect since. So check your shell plate to primer line-up.

Good Luck

George

How did you adjust the shell plate?

Thanks again for the help

Bill,

Use the allen wrench on the bolt like thing in the center of the shell plate. Mark where it was when you started eo you can retighten it, if it doesn't help. ONLY move it a SMALL amount at a time! like a 1/16 of a turn counterclockwise at a time, test and repeat. I think if you move it too much, primers won't fully seat. Go slow.

Good Luck

George

Our Lowe's only had 6-8 packs of the 12x12" mirrors...so Big Lots got the business. For $5.00...what the heck. GREAT idea BTW.

Bob

standard.jpg

Smart!... almost kinky

It will only be kinky after he finishes wallpapering the garage in red velvet. :devil:

When I finish my loading session and run out of primers, I usually size and deprime a couple of extra pieces of brass and put them under my strong mount. I use these when I have a misfeed from the case feeder and the shellplate had advanced. There is a primer ready to use with no brass to put it in. I take one of the pre-sized and deprimed brass from under the press and place it in the primer station, correct my feed problem and keep reloading.

It's just a little thing, but saves me having to collect the good primers from the "ski ramp" primer collector and recycle them.

fwiw

dj

Bill,

Use the allen wrench on the bolt like thing in the center of the shell plate. Mark where it was when you started eo you can retighten it, if it doesn't help. ONLY move it a SMALL amount at a time! like a 1/16 of a turn counterclockwise at a time, test and repeat. I think if you move it too much, primers won't fully seat. Go slow.

Good Luck

George

Thanks, I looked yesterday and the set screw on the main shaft wasn't tight so when i adjusted the shell plate and got everything tight i was able to load 5 boxes without any problems.

Thanks again for the help