Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headstamp Experts? FC NT

Mark K

Total newbie. Reloading 9mm tonight, and 5 cases not want to seat primers, no matter what. 4 brass, 1 nickle. The head stamp has the normal 9mm Lugar, and then FC NT.

It looks as though the primer pockets are a tad small, but my current electronic micrometer only measure to two decimals (new on in the mail to me).

Not big deal, just trying to learn.

Mark K.

Federal Cartridge Non Toxic

Do a search

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I am new to reloading and pistol shooting, but 20+ years of competitive rifle shooting with the Army. I knew the FC was Federal Cartridge, but could not find the NT through various searchs.

I did not see obvious primer crimp marks, but......

thanks again.

Mark

Not smaller, just crimped.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE FEDERAL NT'S!!! Being crimped (or shimed) they will not deprime & prime properly on a Dillion 650. While attempting to seat a primer, the primer smashed & ignited. No damage to the 650 but it scared the hell out of me.

Not smaller, just crimped.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE FEDERAL NT'S!!! Being crimped (or shimed) they will not deprime & prime properly on a Dillion 650. While attempting to seat a primer, the primer smashed & ignited. No damage to the 650 but it scared the hell out of me.

I have loaded countless numbers of Winchester, Federal, and Speer NT all on a 650....as I said above, I have had an occasional problem which has always been very easy to detect from the feeling of the machine. I can't imagine not feeling the level of smashing involved to get a primer to ignite. YMMV

Total newbie. Reloading 9mm tonight, and 5 cases not want to seat primers, no matter what. 4 brass, 1 nickle. The head stamp has the normal 9mm Lugar, and then FC NT.

It looks as though the primer pockets are a tad small, but my current electronic micrometer only measure to two decimals (new on in the mail to me).

Not big deal, just trying to learn.

Mark K.

I use a 650, and have used the Dillon primer pocket swager in order to use the Federal NT Brass. This was, maybe still is, the brass that Federal used with their Ballisticlean Ammo. Be careful if you load hot loads, as the primer pocket flash hole is a tad smaller too, and I am not sure what this will do to pressure.

Martin :cheers:

Edited by Allgoodhits

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

OK to bring this back up.

I have access to large amounts of ex Police brass and they have just started running Federal NT. We buy this as scrap and clean and resell. We have a serious brass problem here at present and I don't wish to compound it.

Seeing as the primers appear to be the correct size and they appear to be crimped we can inform our customers to be aware of this and make the neccessary adjustments to their loading regime. What I don't want to be doing is sorting this stuff before I sell it as that costs huge amounts of time. And we can't expect the Police to be sorting this for me they have enough issues getting this to me as it is.

Questions.

1. Is it worth my customers sorting this brass for themselves if seating new primers is going to be an issue?

2. Does the larger flash hole have any implications as far as higher pressures with better ignition of any given powder charge? Some of my customers are using heavy bullets and fast powders in the 9mm for IPSC Production.

3. If the primers seat easily and no sorting required for that, (with reference to Q2) would we have to sort to make sure that safe, but high pressure, loads in X brand brass are not going to go unsafe in NT.

I will be conducting tests, as well as looking for information that someone may already have.

Any help from those that have already been down this path is greatly appreciated.

I've run a bunch of Federal NT brass on the 1050, loading .40 limited with no problem.

Mixed a few NT in with other brass loading 9mm Major, also no problem.

GI .45 brass has always been crimped, and has a ready market when priced somewhat less than comercial brass.

Make sure that potential buyers know what you are selling, price it at a moderate discount, and it will sell.

If you can arrange to decap, and decrimp them, they will be as good or better than other brass.

Edited by wide45

Wide 45

Appreciate your comments, to commercially decap and decrimp would be cost prohibitive so we have decided not to go that way, and I can discount these somewhat as I get them slightly cheaper than the previous lots that were all CCI / Speer Lawman with the occaisional box of Federal Nickel from premium LE only ammo.

Using a 1050 would be an advantage over any other press thanks to the swage station.

So unless someone comes up with an issue over the flash-hole size it would seem that we are good to go. I will wait for more replies to add more information before we finalise what we have.

I intend to take a bunch for myself and am willing to seperate the headstamps. I have the patience and a 1050, many do not.

Results.

NT brass will not seat any primers CCI, Winchster, Federal and Fiocchi unless you decrimp them. We probably all knew this.

So, (my 13yr old daughter came into work) she cleaned 8500 and she ran 4000 through my 1050 modified with a 40cal die to decap and the swager set pretty hard. Remember I am not doing this for my own use but for my gunshop to sell. Not bad for 6 hours work once we got going.

I tested the first 25 NT brass cases that came off the machine. All seated Federal Primers. Then I tested 2 NT cases every 30minutes as she was doing them. Again no issues. But once it is done you never have to decrimp that case again.

We are now confident that we can buy large amounts of this brass and resell after we process it. BUT if I had to pay one of the staff at the shop to do it we would go broke. Luckily no one is keen on the job and I have better things for them to do. But the little people of the house want money and I have a crap job waiting especially for them.

So remember that whilst child labour (slavery) has been outlawed in most countries, you can rest assured in the land ruled by GM Iprod (when the wife is out) it is alive and well. :rolleyes:

I have also go them to fill primer tubes for about $2.50 per 1000.

AS for the oversized flash hole everybody that I trust and should know what they are talking about is of the opinion that it will not be an issue. I will do some ammo testing later and get back with the results.

Edited by gm iprod

Too bad you are in New Zealand or I'd take some if the price was right. I run Federal NT 9mm on my Hornady L-N-L AP with zero problems. Maybe I've just been lucky but I haven't seen any that are truly crimped like NATO brass. A friend of mine traded me about 20 pounds of them for some .380 brass I had because the NT wouldn't run in his Dillon 650.

I thought I read on here some where that their have been a lot of case failures with federal NT brass?

Or was that different brass.

Sorry I found it it was FC Brass. Here is the Link.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

So remember that whilst child labour (slavery) has been outlawed in most countries, you can rest assured in the land ruled by GM Iprod (when the wife is out) it is alive and well.

I have also go them to fill primer tubes for about $2.50 per 1000.

I would say that, at that price, you are a more than generous slavemaster. :)

Too bad you are in New Zealand or I'd take some if the price was right. I run Federal NT 9mm on my Hornady L-N-L AP with zero problems. Maybe I've just been lucky but I haven't seen any that are truly crimped like NATO brass. A friend of mine traded me about 20 pounds of them for some .380 brass I had because the NT wouldn't run in his Dillon 650.

Freight would kill it for you. We pay scrap prices only, but the time to process and repackage adds more to the cost than the cost of the cases. We also have to sort steel cases, 22lr and other non 9mm out of the mix. Steel cases are easy as we use a couple of old car speakers with large magnets on and drag in through the empties. It looks like a porcupine when it comes out. The rest are sorted by hand.

The stuff we are getting is crimped in real hard. I decapped a whole pile and did not swage the primer pocket and tried to reseat primers on everything I own. Hornady Single stage, Redding single stage, Lee Turret press and all the Dillon's (except the 1050 as it swages the crimp). They would seat about 50% of the time OK not brilliant but usable, 25% of the time poorly and 25% of the time not at all.

But with the 1050 it just goes fine.