Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind Sirs,

If it is not made in Kentucky it is not Bourbon. Although gentlemen may vary in their preferences, (God Bless Diversity), tradition has it the best Bourbon is stolen.

:D

Bourbon county, Kentucky.The ground water there is filtered by limestone deposits and is very pure and has a slight sweet taste ...for better whisky

The best is probably George Dickel No.12 (white label), but it is sort of stout to drink straight. I really like Jack Daniel's straight, because it's so smooth and sweet.

Wild Turkey is also quality bourbon. The 80 proof label has much less bite.

One whiskey that I used to make fun of as being cheap actually started to taste pretty good after several nights of it on a hunting trip: Evan Williams.

P.S.- Everyone has heard of Corn Liquor, White Lightning, or Moonshine, but few people have tasted the real thing. If you can find someone that you really trust(and I mean seriously trust to be distilled correctly) that has a source to some that is high quality, it is a treat like you've never had. The old art of pure "Corn Liquor" is about dead, most of it these days is "sugar liqour", which can still be made to taste great. The old myth about all bootleg being 190 proof and taking your breath is bull. People don't drink that crap. Good bootleg is almost as smooth as water and around 90-100 proof. I've never had much, but the oldtimers say that if it was made right you won't get a hangover, but it will put you on your ass in a hurry.

Edited by JD45

As a salesman for various wines and spirits, I am often called upon to render and opinion on the "best" to buy. I can say without a doubt that Woodford Reserve is the best for quality and taste, however for price you may want to go with Buffalo Trace. I have tried the Trace and Knob Creek side by side and find little difference in quality or taste. Pappy Van Winkle is good, but over-rated and over-priced. If you can find it, A.H. Hirsch Reserve is the cat's A$$, but be prepared to pay a premium price. While it is not bourbon, per se, the recently released Crown Royal Cask #16 is incredibly good, but again a bit on the pricey side. Aged in Cognac barrels, it has a very good finish and is far and away superior to regular Crown Royal. It goes without saying, that all of these should be drunk over ice (in small amounts) or neat to appreciate the true flavor.

Kind Sirs,

If it is not made in Kentucky it is not Bourbon. Although gentlemen may vary in their preferences, (God Bless Diversity), tradition has it the best Bourbon is stolen.

Bourbon county, Kentucky.The ground water there is filtered by limestone deposits and is very pure and has a slight sweet taste ...for better whisky

Hmmm, Bourbon County was dry until Mid 90's when a store owner challenged it and it was ruled that since the county didnt have an election on the issue since prohibition was lifted, it was wet . Now there were 2 precincts that did have a vote in the past that went dry. They remained dry. I owned 2 Grocery stores that just happened to be in those 2 precincts. There have been distilleries in Bourbon County in the past but none remain. I just bought an old Boubon bottle from Bourbon county on Ebay, it was late 1800's era.

post-397-1197089173.jpg

Buffalo Trace is tasty. Eagle Rare has a bit more bite to it, but with just a drop (and I do mean just a drop) it opens up very nicely. I've had Van Winkle's Special Reserve, quite good. And Woodford Reserve is extra smooth.

Kind Sirs,

While I agree with you in principle, Bourbon can, not necessarily should, be made anywhere in the U.S. I think it was in 1969 that by act of congress bourbon was declared the native spirit of the United States (not just Kentucky). As to Bourbon county, If memory serves there are a lot more distilleries right next door in Hazard county. Hazard, as in the Dukes of.

I do wish we could get rid of the law that does not allow us to distill our own. First we got wine, then beer, now we need to be able to legally make whiskey. This isn't political, just a hope for the future.

The best is probably George Dickel No.12 (white label), but it is sort of stout to drink straight. I really like Jack Daniel's straight, because it's so smooth and sweet.

One whiskey that I used to make fun of as being cheap actually started to taste pretty good after several nights of it on a hunting trip: Evan Williams.

P.S.- Everyone has heard of Corn Liquor, White Lightning, or Moonshine, but few people have tasted the real thing. If you can find someone that you really trust(and I mean seriously trust to be distilled correctly) that has a source to some that is high quality, it is a treat like you've never had. The old art of pure "Corn Liquor" is about dead, most of it these days is "sugar liqour", which can still be made to taste great. The old myth about all bootleg being 190 proof and taking your breath is bull. People don't drink that crap. Good bootleg is almost as smooth as water and around 90-100 proof. I've never had much, but the oldtimers say that if it was made right you won't get a hangover, but it will put you on your ass in a hurry.

don't know about moonshine putting you on your behind but mead will do the same thing...

Kind Sirs,

While I agree with you in principle, Bourbon can, not necessarily should, be made anywhere in the U.S. I think it was in 1969 that by act of congress bourbon was declared the native spirit of the United States (not just Kentucky). As to Bourbon county, If memory serves there are a lot more distilleries right next door in Hazard county. Hazard, as in the Dukes of.

I do wish we could get rid of the law that does not allow us to distill our own. First we got wine, then beer, now we need to be able to legally make whiskey. This isn't political, just a hope for the future.

Politicians. The same 'law' that allows just anyone to label their whiskey Bourbon also stipulates only Kentucky can put its name on the label. :D

Bourbon County, as Chuck mentioned above, is/was dry for most of the 20th century. In the late 18th century Bourbon County covered a much larger area, and just as it was derived from Fayette County, several other counties were in turn derived from Bourbon County. If memory serves, Kentucky was at one time referred to as Jefferson County Virginia. We now are composed of 120 counties. It was determined at some point one should be able to travel by horse to the county seat, cast ones vote, and return home the same day; this measurement determined the area of a county. To insure we have the best politicians money can buy, no alcoholic beverages, not even Bourbon, may be sold until the polls close. This is not to say votes are not purchased with bottles of Bourbon, just that you must purchase these tokens of appreciation before election day. :cheers:

I've tried all the bourbons listed. IMHO the best is Old Weller Antique 107 proof 7 years old. Internet wines carries it and all the ones listed. Good prices and service.

The Weller uses Red winter wheat, dates, raisins, honey, pepper. Full body, great aroma.

Put it in a large round bottom glass like a brandy sniffer. Let your hands warm it, then take big inhale before you sip.

Watch moderm marvels episode on Whiskey and Scotch really good info.

Around here, there's a new rye whiskey that's available called Templeton Rye. They've been promoting the hell out of it. Templeton is a very small farm town, and during Prohibition the entire town was engaged in distilling high-quality whiskey that was known simply as "Templeton Rye". Supposedly it was very popular in the upmarket speakeasies of St Louis, KC, and Chicago, and they (the guys who are selling it) say it was a favorite of Al Capone. :cheers: The great-grandfather of one of the current distillers used to be a Templeton distiller and bootlegger, and he's their consultant. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but with all this backstory(read: marketing) it'll probably suck.

I usually switch between Jack Daniel's #7 Black Label or Maker's Mark (mixed with coca cola) . I know, I know, you shouldn't mix it or cut it with anything, but, thats how I like it.

Sometimes will drink a Jim Beam. When I fell like raising some hell :devil: , Booker's served neat.

Probably the best I have had (haven't really had a lot of different ones) has to be

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. :D

I usually switch between Jack Daniel's #7 Black Label or Maker's Mark (mixed with coca cola) . I know, I know, you shouldn't mix it or cut it with anything, but, thats how I like it.

Sometimes will drink a Jim Beam. When I fell like raising some hell :devil: , Booker's served neat.

Probably the best I have had (haven't really had a lot of different ones) has to be

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. :D

Jack Daniel's in a Tennessee whiskey as opposed to bourbon. Tennessee whiskey must be made in Tennessee. Plus slight differences in what it is allowed to be made of. I was pleasantly surprised by Jack Daniel's 'top shelf' stuff. The single barrel, and even Gentleman Jack. I guess here at BE forums we need a Gentleman Jim whiskey ;)

In order

BULLEIT!!!!! #1

Elijah Craig

Makers Mark

Knob Creek

Old Whiskey River (Yes Willies whiskey)

Wellers

Woodford Reserve.

For when it doesn't matter,

Jim Beam

Henry McKenna

Sorry but if it comes from Tenn, I would rather have ice water, at least it hasn't been through a radiator. :lol: