Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Magazines?

JoshF

Haven't seen this asked so here we go.... :rolleyes:

What do you consider the ideal magazine count to have with you for the following divisions?

Production

Limited

Open

I'm not looking for anyone wanting to brag about their magazine "warehousing" abilities. If I had enough money I'd just buy a hundred of each type and be done but I don't. I'd just like to know what you consider a good amount for both club and major matches.

Just so you know my current mindset is to have twice my mag pouch count. I figure this is a minimum in case I have a reshoot or just don't get time to reload for the next stage. So for me that would be..

Production - 8

Limited - 6

Open - 6 (2 170s 4 140s)

Edited by KSmoker

Just a note...both my son and I shoot the same caliber and type of Production gun. With that being said we take 5 magazines each to a match. Never had to but want at least 5 each topped off magazines on a long field course of about 32 shots required (one in the gun and 4 on the belt). This will mean 10 magazines for the production guns as your mindset is. My problem with that is we can/do reload all magazines after each stage as soon as that stage is done. I believe 10 magazines are to hard to keep up on and sooner or later you will load a 2 round magazine during a course of fire...just my thought process. If you do have to reshoot you will be given time!

I have 4 magazines for the Limited gun..same thought process is in effect.

Hope this helps...Scott

I shoot production and have 10 mags loaded and ready. That way if I do not have time to reload, I just grab and go. Just means more time to reload later on, but who wants the hassle of rushing to a stage to shoot if you can prevent it.

But I also practice the fine art of dumping (learned from Steve Anderson at a long ago Buckeye Blast).

Edited by vluc

I used to do six high caps for Limited.

4 x 140 and 2 x 170 for the Open gun I had briefly.

Then I picked up a tip from Manny who loads all his mags the night before practice to save time at the range.

Now I have 10 identical 21 rounders for Limited, and load them all to 20 the night before.

I have another 10 on the way, so I should be able to shoot Manny's plan of a 400 round practice session with no time wasted loading mags at the range.

For Open I have stashed, 8x140 and 2x170, no gun as yet, but next year I hope.

For Standard I have 8x18 rounder, 2x19 rounder. No International matches right now, but I do love standard even more than Limited, and hope my situation allows for a return to international competition sometime soon.

I would say for SS or Prod the minimum would be 5, 'cuz you should take every beep loaded like that, and of course 10 would be better.

On a side note, not that you asked, but I'm not a fan of special mags, only for practice, or bunches of different capacities. I fell into that in the beginning with mags holding from 17 to 20 and having to order them specially on the belt for each stage. Make things easy and standardize where possible. Obviously for open you don't want 10 big sticks, but two that are boringly reliable and hold the same would be nice, and for something specialized (for us in the U.S.) like standard where 19 rounders are hard to get, more $$ and don't last as long, I treat them like big sticks, to be used when needed but not abused.

Especially with the very real prospect of a "no win" ticket next fall, mo is bettuh, IMHO. :cheers:

Just my two cents.

Edited by dirtypool40

I don't like to have to clean mags between stages & my policy is that if a mag hits the ground it gets cleaned before it gets loaded again. Since you don't want to know about "warehousing ability" suffice to say I have enough L10-SS-Production mags to get the job done MY WAY.

We have a local Production with 30. That is a little too many.

I think 10 is a luxury in any division and 6-8 is probably about right for any division since its not just how many you need to complete the course of fire but how many to complete the match(mud, stomp-age, etc.)

Hello: I like having lots of mags. I hate loading mags for IDPA. My ssp Glock I have 17 mags for it. My STI 2011 40 I have 10 126mm mags for IDPA and also 10 140mm mags for Limited. My single stack 40 I have mags that hold 8,9 and 10 rounds and fit the box. It is also difficult to clean a mag at a match that has been stepped on in the mud. I would say 10 mags is the way to go with a minimum of 6 for Limited or IDPA. I know some guys that only take 4 mags and have done so for years. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Wow now I know why some of you guys don't 3-gun, you have more in magazines than I have in my rifle! for a regular match I take 3 pistol mags, for a big match I take 4, one is the back up mag and also is loaded with "after match ammo". This is for the limited gun. For rifle I take 3 30,s and 1 big mag, for the shotgun...well just one!

I don't like to have to clean mags between stages & my policy is that if a mag hits the ground it gets cleaned before it gets loaded again. Since you don't want to know about "warehousing ability" suffice to say I have enough L10-SS-Production mags to get the job done MY WAY.

+1 I start with 12 loaded in SS. That's nearly a complete 100 round box. Four on the belt and one in the gun at the start of each stage. If I don't have time to clean after a given stage, I'm still ready.

I never considered shooting in mud, some of you have a point with that. Overall it seems like the stage x 2 count is a pretty good standard though so I'll probably stick with that. However I'll always be one to pickup more if they become available for the right price, just can't pass up a deal (but you can miss one with some of the people on here :ph34r: ).

I also understand the have enough mags for a match understanding but it's just overwhelming when you consider the maintenance and upkeep of that many mags not to mention the cost. My shooting buddy brought every magazine he needed for the match already loaded to Area 3. Doesn't sound like much till you figure he's shooting production, I think he had 35+ magazines..... It was an impressive sight.. Except for the fact they were Glock mags :devil:

I have 11 Limited mags. Two are for dryfire practice (they get dropped a lot). Three are for livefire practice (thay get dropped a lot in grass) and six are match only. The Match mags get cleaned before any match and when they have hit the ground. After having magspring issues earlier this year I do not load mags until match morning at the earliest. Also I never load the mags beyond 18 unless the course of fire will require a higher count. This have proved to be 100% reliable for me.

I have reduced mag pouch count to three. Depending on the COF I may have a start mag in my pocket or not. Hopefully I'll never drop more than one mag in a COF. I figure if I have dropped two the stage is pretty screwed up and I can always bend my fatass over and pick one up in order to finish.

My guess is a consistent routine will always work the best irregardless of the routine.

Four tuned 20 round reloadaable mags, STI tubes, Grams everything. Load after match set-up before shooters meeting. All will do 20 reliably, though I load two with 20 and two with 19. The 19's go in my first two mag holders on the belt, the 20's go in the last two. At LAMR, I pull third mag (20rds) and chamber the gun with it, safe, release mag and goes back into holder #3, insert mag from 4th mag holder (20rds). So I start with 21 in the gun, and three 19 round reloads. I do this every time at LAMR as a habit whether the course of fire is 6 rounds or 32. Repetition and consistancy works for me.

What do you consider the ideal magazine count to have with you for the following division?

Production - 8

Limited - 6

Open - 6 (2 170s 4 140s)

I have to say that some of the numbers that have been presented are luxuries. They may be ideal, but not necessities. I haven't shot a "monster match", only regular ones. So, I've never needed more than one big stick in open and 2-140's. Most stages are less than 2 mags, some might be 3 but it's rare.

It's not that much different in Limited. I ran 4 mags for 2 years and never had a problem. If I had a ton of cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy more mags.

FWIW- I have the following, but only because a shoot one killer steel match each year. For USPSA they sit idle in my bag.

Limited - 8

Open - 8 (2 170s 6 140s)

For Rifle- I'm a mag whore, I'll admit it. DP- A full confession is the only way you'll feel good about your mag stash. :lol:

Kurt- Be glad you don't have the sickness. ;)

I never considered shooting in mud, some of you have a point with that.

Sort of one of the advantages of this forum. When some of us post, we are sharing the experience of shooting hundreds or for some, thousands of USPSA matches. Oh and some are sharing 15 minutes of experience and they probably have more to say.

Edited by BSeevers

For Production - 5 mags on the belt, 1 for the gun, 3-4 in the bag.

For Limited - 3 20-rounders on the belt, 1 20-rounder for the gun, 3-4 in the bag.

Regardless of division, or number of rounds in the stage - I try to ALWAYS max out on the belt.

I've just seen too many folks have a pouch a "little too loose" and watch the mags seemingly "jump out" of the pouch whilst running across the stage. Or worse, run into a spring binding problem and the mag does the "eat sh*t and die" routine during a run. Heck, there have been stages that I've dropped/tossed/otherwise mishandled the mag during a reload.

It's good to have more than enough for the stage. And yes, mine happen to be all Glock mags - thank goodness (a good friend of mine now works at SV - when he told me what those things price out at full retail...ouch!)

I only shoot open and I keep two sets of mags. One set only for matches and one set used for practice, dry firing and such.

Each set consists of 4 - 140's and 1 - 170. On match day, along with the "match" magazines, I carry one of the 140 practice magazines for my barney round and leave the rest of the practice magazines (along with a tool kit and complete set of repair parts for my gun) in the truck.

Bill