Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Magazines?

JoshF

I thought some SS guys would jump in but I guess not. I have 7 for SS and that doesn't seem to be enough at times. Of course if I didn't miss I wouldn't need more than 4 per stage!

See SteveJ's post of having 12 to start & my post of having enough to not reload a mag off the ground. I start with 5 on the belt & a 6th in the pocket besides the Barney. I usually load 20-24 depending on the number of stages but the original poster didn't want "warehousing" numbers used. When I shoot Revo I start with twice as many moons loaded as I could possibly use in a match. For Area 1 I had 600 rounds loaded & ready to use.

I thought some SS guys would jump in but I guess not. I have 7 for SS and that doesn't seem to be enough at times. Of course if I didn't miss I wouldn't need more than 4 per stage!

See SteveJ's post of having 12 to start & my post of having enough to not reload a mag off the ground. I start with 5 on the belt & a 6th in the pocket besides the Barney. I usually load 20-24 depending on the number of stages but the original poster didn't want "warehousing" numbers used. When I shoot Revo I start with twice as many moons loaded as I could possibly use in a match. For Area 1 I had 600 rounds loaded & ready to use.

I am not a small guy 40" waist but I can't seem to get a good enough reach to get to a 5th mag plus I worry about leaving from a chair and catching that mag. Do you put the 5th almost flat ?

Let me see if I can remeber all I have....

STI Open:

1 170MM Dawson +1 Plus SNL 28 rounds easily loaded into

3 140MM Dawson +2 base pads 23 rounds easily loaded into

4 126MM Dawson +2 base pads 20 rounds easily loaded into

Single stack open gun (bowling pins)

1 11 round

10 10 round

5 8 round

As for my .22 pistols and rifle I have no clue how many mags I have, I just keep loading them before a trip to the range. LOL

Joe W.

For open I have three 170's and four 140's, for limited I have seven 140's and for my steel gun I have five 140's.

For a local open match I only take one of the 170's and 2 of the 140's and for a limited match I take four and that is what I will have on my belt. For a major match I take everything just because you never know.

I like to practice with what I compete with that way I know if trouble is brewing.

It all depends on personal choice.

Here is what I have:

STI Open 38 Super

3 @ 170 for 28 rnds ea

2 @ 140 for 23 rnds ea

1 @ 126 for 19 rnds (if I remember correct)

I load 2 170's and 2 140's on my belt just in case you drop a mag or such.

STI 45 SS

12 @ 8 rnds ea. so far but will get others.

I have pouches for 6, 1 in pocket for barney and 1 in pocket to start with.

This is becasue I am new to this SS stuff and I can reload where I want dumping partial mags if needed.

S&W 686 7 shot Revolver

32+ moon clips mostly Hearthco's

Typical match I start with about 25 (175 rnds) loaded and ready

I carry 6 moons in holder and 1 spare to start with on a stage normally.

When I had my Glock 17's I had 15 @ 10 rnds and 10 high caps with various size extended base pads.

Don't know if that helps you at all, best advise is be prepared!

For Limited I carried four 21 rounders downloaded to 20 on the belt, and one in the gun (they're actually 21 round Para mags, Grams tuned, but I usually down load anyway). I have a dozen or so, but usually used the same five for practice/matches. The others are tuned spares. I'll bring a couple extra to a major, but they stay in the bag unloaded until needed.

In my Production Glocks, mags are cheap, though the tenners I need to use in California ( :angry2: ), are occasionally hard to get, so I currently have 12 to 15 of each caliber (9mm and 40). I shoot the same mags for matches and practice, except in 9mm, where I have a few of the old stepped mags instead of the easier loading tapered mags. I use the stepped mags in practice (makes me focus on hitting the reload a tad more ;) . The spares are tested, and the plan is to replace the match/practice mags as needed, but that hasn't happened yet after a year...

Single Stack .45 -- stopped counting at 30, but only take 10-12 with me to the range. Lots of 8 rounders and 6 10 rounders if I want to use the gun for Limited 10. Didn't count the 7 rounders, but there probably is someplace over 20 of them around here in various places. Most are stuffed in a gun.

Limited, Para-Ord .45 -- 1 ten round mag that came with the frame, 7 that hold 16 and 5 others that are aftermarket that hold 13. The aftermarket mags are used for dry fire practice only.

Limited, SVI .40 -- 5 for now. Probably more later because I like to have lots of mags.

Open (an old Clark built .45 Super Comp) -- use the 10 rd. mags from Single Stack.

Open, SVI .38 Super -- 2 170mm and 5 140mm.

When shooting with one of the single stack .45 I usually carry 4 in pouches, 1 fully loaded Barney mag and 1 mag for loading the gun. Barney mag goes into a back pocket for just in case and there have been times that I have used it.

For the double stack guns I carry three in pouches and a fully loaded mag for LAMR either in a back pocket or in a mag pouch on my right side that is used only for the LAMR mag.

Glocks (9mm and .45) -- 5 each as I only shoot them in Glock matches.

Springfield XD .45 -- 5 so far, but I haven't used the gun in a match yet.

High Standard .22 -- 16, but then I own 5 of the guns.

For Prod, I carry 5 on the belt, and have 6 more loaded up in my range bag.

The only time that I went to mag 5 was at the SC Sectionals this season. It was a LONG stage with 3 different ports at the end...one of which contained a Texas Star. THe more mags you carry, the more prepared you are for wider options in running a stage.

I think more is better if you have to shoot in inclement weather. I do have practice mags and match mags.

I would say 10 is a good number if you are going to go to bigger matches. I know I lost some underwater in Tulsa this year at the Nats and I don't want to reuse those. We regularly have to drop mags in water, mud, and snow.

It may be a luxury, but it sure helps have lots of mags loaded up and ready to go so you can focus on other things.

And yes Kurt, I have more tied up in mags than any one person needs ;) but it does get real cold here in the winterand it is nice to load up mags before hitting the range and not having to load any mags with frozen fingers.

I think 6 is enough for anything but Open (never shot Open); not enough to be considered a luxury, but enough where you will never be caught short on a stage.

Personally I like having a lot of mags. I started this sport back when the mag ban was in effect. If there's another ban, then I want to not have to worry about it.

For my Para Limited gun I have 12 mags that hold 21 rounds, and 4 that hold 19 rounds. All go with me to practice, and 13 go to local matches. I carry 14 to big matches. I never have to reload a mag at a local match. I use 1 of the 19 round mags as a Barney mag. I got a great deal here for the four 19 round mags, or else I'd have stopped at 12.

For my wife's G35 I have questions about the durability of the mags (never had a Glock before), so I bought 26 mags. 11 are extended to 20 rounds, with the rest having Glock +2s. For a practice session or local matches I load up the 11 extended mags, 2 +2s maybe for classifiers, and a single +2 with 10 rounds as a Barney mag. It's rare to need to reload a mag at a local match. All the extra mags are just spares, bought pretty cheap at CDNN.

For Limited I keep all spare ammo in the bag in the vehicle. I initially started with 5 extended mags for each gun, adding more mags as I had extra cash.

For L-10 I always carried ten 10 rounds mags and a couple of 8 rounders + a 7 round mag to Barney up.

For SS I carry eight mags + the Barney mag. If I shoot minor I carry ten 10 round mags.

Never shot Production, but I'd try to have 10 mags + a Barney.

Again, the mag ban when I first started the sport really made me a little bit of a mag hog.

I wish I could warehouse some mags. But here is what I have for my USPSA gun. 9mm Limited gun ( I had it built to shoot IDPA but decided that I liked USPSA more).

1 140mm 23rds reloadable

4 140mm 22rds reloadable (can get 23 in them but they are tight)

2 140mm 21rds STI stock

1 126mm 19rds STI stock (used as a barney mag)

3 126mm 20rds (Dawson International pads used for IDPA)

11 mags in all

And I am thinking about buying some 170s and some 40 cal mags just to have on hand.

I carry 4 on the belt. 3 in CR speed pouches and 1 in a cheap velcro pouch for my barney mag. I carry my starting mag in my pocket)

I have never needed more than two mags on any course of fire but it is nice to know that I have 100rds on my person when I walk up to the line.

If I could afford it I would own enough mags to shoot an entire match without reloading but I cannot (over $100 a piece for me to fully set up a mag is a lot). As it stands all of my mags run 100% reliable (all I have to do is a bit of preventative maintenance).

For my other guns 8 mags a piece.

Edited by austinkroe