Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm limited...maybe I am crazy

-JQ-

OK I am a total noob when it comes to practical pistol matches...I have shot 3 and all within the last 2 months but I feel the addiction growing.

Right now I am shooting a Sig x5 9mm in limited. I love this gun and don't want to change...and since it is SAO I can't shoot production as I understand it. My thought is that I need to work on my accuracy and by using a 9mm that I will be forced into it by really trying to shoot only a's. Honestly I didn't realize the points penalty when I started but have accepted it. My goal isn't to go "pro" but to get a handle on it and then maybe move up in class, speed etc. Is this totally crazy??

...must not buy a souped-up 45

must not buy a souped-up 45

must not buy a souped-up 45...

thanks

hk_mtbr

ps.sorry about post in wrong thread

Edited by hk_mtbr

If you're crazy, then I'm in the same boat.

I had a custom STI built in 9mm for several reasons:

1. cheaper to shoot than .40's. Costs me about $100 for 1K 9mm v. ~$130 for 1K .40's.

2. my g/f can shoot it with powderpuff loads if she ever wants to get into the sport

3. justification(s) to have another gun

Shoot the x5 for a while and you'll know whether you want/need another gun in the future. So you're scored minor. Big whoop. Have fun with it.

This is where that "coulda hada V-8" feeling hits you. the X-5 is a cool gun without a division to be competitive in. For the same money, or less you coulda hada full on high cap Limited gun in .40 that would never hold you back.

As for fun, I'd love to shoot an X-5, I think they are sexy, but my scores would suffer with low capacity and minor scoring. For now it's ok, but shoot a match with a buddy's STI or Glock 35 decked out with 20+ rounds of major scoring goodness and I think you'll be surprised at the difference it makes in your placement. I'd guess somewhere between 10 and 15%.

This is where that "coulda hada V-8" feeling hits you. the X-5 is a cool gun without a division to be competitive in. For the same money, or less you coulda hada full on high cap Limited gun in .40 that would never hold you back.

As for fun, I'd love to shoot an X-5, I think they are sexy, but my scores would suffer with low capacity and minor scoring. For now it's ok, but shoot a match with a buddy's STI or Glock 35 decked out with 20+ rounds of major scoring goodness and I think you'll be surprised at the difference it makes in your placement. I'd guess somewhere between 10 and 15%.

+1 to that.....

But the X5s are cool guns, and in 9mm hold 19 rounds? I think - so not a capacity handicap... so for now, shoot what ya have, and keep shooting til you feel its the gun holding you back, not your skill...... when and if you hit that point, then start telling yourself :

"...must not buy a souped-up 40" :P - (you''ll find .45 to be a capacity disadvantage in Limited)

If you're just shooting to have fun and don't care where you finish, I'd say go for it. But if you care about where you finish or want to be competitive, you can't shoot Minor in Limited (or any Division that allows major) and win or be very competitive.

I've been shooting Production for almost 3 years now and love it, but there is an extreme difference between scores if I was scored against everyone shooting major.

thanks for the info. I will continue with the x5 for now. It really fits me better than of my other handguns and in cycling fit accounts for a lot...not that I would ride a huffy (sorry about the bike snobbery) even if it fit... because of quality/durability/weight...

As far as sexy, I went for the understated Tactical x5...sexy in a dark way...shoot one and they feel sexy too

sounds like you're on the right track. Shoot alot and keep your eyes open for what works and does not work. Then in a year or so you'll be more able to determine what you really want. Until then just enjoy it!

Everytime I look at new guns I always take a long look at the Sig X5, but like dirtypool40 said with no real division it is hard to spend that much money. Maybe one day I will get my hands on one.

Edited by pierce195

OK I am a total noob when it comes to practical pistol matches...I have shot 3 and all within the last 2 months but I feel the addiction growing.

Right now I am shooting a Sig x5 9mm in limited. I love this gun and don't want to change...and since it is SAO I can't shoot production as I understand it. My thought is that I need to work on my accuracy and by using a 9mm that I will be forced into it by really trying to shoot only a's. Honestly I didn't realize the points penalty when I started but have accepted it. My goal isn't to go "pro" but to get a handle on it and then maybe move up in class, speed etc. Is this totally crazy??

thanks

hk_mtbr

ps.sorry about post in wrong thread

Welcome to the forum and remember

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40.............and you may never look back! ;)

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40

Buy a souped-up .40.............and you may never look back! ;)

What kind of soup are you guys dipping your guns in?

Bean soup from Bob Evans....;)

Smart-azz :blink:

Well...I guess the bean soup worked. I just ordered a .40...I didn't get an STI or a SVI or other "popular" ipsc gun.

I traded a couple of HK pistols that were gathering dust for a new Sig x5 comp in .40. They have fairly high cap mags...factory 14's with custom baseplates to accommodate at least 16 rounds and in some cases 18 from what I have read. I am a bit of a contrarian I suppose but I would also like to see them gain popularity in the US.

As I have the x5 in 9mm and really love the gun, I wanted to keep with what works for me...user fit and reliablity (so far). I guess complaining about expensive mags would be silly at this stage, so I'll save that.

This winter I'll be working on technique etc and hopefully the 40 will prove as sweet as the 9mm.

See you in the box (hula hoop)

hk_mtbr

I know I haven't been able to follow what I know is good for me, but I'd say stick with the X5 and spend the money you would've spent on that next gun on training. Buy the videos, but more 9mm ammo, try and take a class or two from the pros here.

~Mitch (who just bought a new gun, and loves it!)

If you're just shooting to have fun and don't care where you finish, I'd say go for it. But if you care about where you finish or want to be competitive, you can't shoot Minor in Limited (or any Division that allows major) and win or be very competitive.

I've been shooting Production for almost 3 years now and love it, but there is an extreme difference between scores if I was scored against everyone shooting major.

You can easily be competitive in limited with a 9 if you can get your hits. I have a high cap 40 by svi but just built another one in 9 for 3 gun and decided to shoot it in some local matches to break it in. I have never finished lower than 4th, and each match has had about 20 limited shooters. I also shot 3 classifiers with it and have gotten 76%, 77% and a 85%. These weren't bad considering I just got my B card over the summer. I say as long as you look at your sights it doesn't matter what caliber you shoot, get a's.

I understand your circumstance. I started the sport and was 110% against going the conventional 1911/2011 style gun and tried different things and then went and shot a match with a friend and brought the wrong ammo for the gun I had. My friend loaned me his spare gun and ammo, and the rest is history. After shooting a match with a good 40 cal STI/SVI style gun plus not having a capacity issue that I did with my original gun, I was convinced after the match and bought my fist widebody gun.I have never looked back nor have I had as much fun as I do with those guns. I have 1 of my limited guns slated for a new topend and I am probably going to build it in 9mm as the ammo is cheaper , the brass is easier for me to aquire, and I have tuned mags for my major 9 open gun so I can shift mags back and forth. I will build it with a busshinged 9mm barrel and that way I can use it in other sports if I decide to. Plus you get a 1 round capacity advantage per mag without having to spend a bunch on mag upgrades, and as I get older the shooting of minor wont bother me as much. And if hell does freeze over and I can get my wife involved in shooting, I have the perfect gun for her instantly at no additional expense to me.

I bought a used SV .40 breachface gun Saturday with the intent to make it a 9mm for shooting LTD.

It was a tough year. I started with tendonitus in my right elbow and shot over 30,000 rounds of my major 180 grain, N320 load.

I won't complain, I did good but I need to lighten up for a few months! My boss has a bunch of UMC 124 grain 9mm so I guess I'll do that for 3 months and see if it helps.

I paid $1400 for a nice bushing barrel .40 that needs minimal work to become a 9mm and my SV Super mags work great.

No more Cs and Ds for awhile..... but I get 21 rounds reloadable!

Edited by Mick

• 1 month later...

Didn't I hear that Julie Goloski won some nationals with a gun in 9mm. Competing against .40's and being scored minor,... she won. Wow, I might of heard wrong, how could a person be competitive scored minor? Get the nine and work up a puff load above 125pf, shoot all alphas, and have fun. That's the point.

Didn't I hear that Julie Goloski won some nationals with a gun in 9mm. Competing against .40's and being scored minor,... she won. Wow, I might of heard wrong, how could a person be competitive scored minor? Get the nine and work up a puff load above 125pf, shoot all alphas, and have fun. That's the point.

Trax,

The real story is here: http://www.juliegoloski.com/bio.htm

Later,

Chuck

Shot my last couple of matches Limited minor. Used my 2nd gen G17 production gun and the

140mm mags from my Open G17. I was more than a bit surprised---Won Limited division

at the first match, finished High B Limited and 8th overall at the second. I think I actually

shoot the 9mm better in Limited than my G35 Limited gun!

Bill