Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS caliber choice

G-ManBart

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a .45 in "swingle stack" because that is what I have and what I like. BUT, you are setup for .40, don't have any of the parts to load .45, .45 brass is more expensive, .45 bullets are more expensive. Again I like .45 but for you it seems obvious the .40 is the way to go.

I run a .45 in "swingle stack" because that is what I have and what I like. BUT, you are setup for .40, don't have any of the parts to load .45, .45 brass is more expensive, .45 bullets are more expensive. Again I like .45 but for you it seems obvious the .40 is the way to go.

I actually have a fair amount of .45 components on hand....1,000 new Starline cases, several boxes of Zero 230FMJ's, maybe 5K of WLP etc, but I only load a hundred here and there for fun. I'd have to get another caliber conversion for the Dillon to load in any volume. The flip side is I keep several thousand .40 major/long on hand at all times for the Limited gun.

I just got both..... :cheers:

Merlin you have more singlestacks than most vendors :surprise:

:cheers:

well he does have the fastest fingers in the classified section..... <_< 200.00 1911's

i voted for the 45acp since i don't own a 40 cal...

Edited by GmanCdp

Purely for USPSA Single Stack Div? .40 for sure. I plan to have one built in the near future.

For all around duty though (IDPA, carry, camping, bullseye etc) I would stick with .45

Based on your situation I would go with a 40s&w, however I am one of those guys that thinks a 1911 should be .45acp.

I am set up to reload 45acp on my 550, to get started loading for 40s&w I just keep looking in the classified and came across a SBD Dillon set up for 40 for $250. It is sitting on my bench right now waiting for me to set it up.

If you weren't already set up reloading 40s&w, then I would say 45acp.

If money was no object I'd like to have a 40 single stack so as not have to change the 650's primer system and save some $$ in components. However, what i've seen is that to get the 40's to run close to a 100% could be quite a chore while my $600 Springfield didn't need any tweaking.

+1 for the .45

Well looking at the poll it looks like there is only one winner...GOTTA GET BOTH!! :cheers:

Every man needs a quiver full of single stacks! :cheers:

Hard to really compare but I think a .40 might have a little less torque than a .45. Seems to me the gun tracks straight up and down a little better/easier. :huh:

I'm new so please don't bash me here...

I voted .40 as it is almost half the price to reload .45, and .40 brass is everywhere. To say a .40 isn't as reliable as a .45 is absolutely absurd! C'mon all you limited and L-10 shooters.. thats like saying your gunsmith sucks and he can't build you a reliable .40 which is ludacris! Theirs a reason it took off so fast in this sport, as well as with LEO. stay away from glocked brass, polish your feedramp. All centerfire cartridges would all have the same problems you will need to learn to dial in. .45 has served our country well. I bet if .40 was around when Sam stole the idea of the single action auto, it would of been the caliber of choice. it is a perfect medium from mousefart 9's and the venerable .45. I have 1911's/2011's in 9mm, 38SC, .40 and .45. the 9 and the .45's will be the first pistols I sell before letting go of my .40's.. :rolleyes:

Well looking at the poll it looks like there is only one winner...GOTTA GET BOTH!! :cheers:

Every man needs a quiver full of single stacks! :cheers:

Hard to really compare but I think a .40 might have a little less torque than a .45. Seems to me the gun tracks straight up and down a little better/easier. :huh:

Interesting Merlin...hadn't thought about the torque issue, but physics suggests you're right. The heavier bullet in the .45 should produce a bit more torque than the lighter bullet in the .40.

I've always compared the 2 like this. The 40 will produce more of a snappy recoil at the same power factor and the .45 will be more of a push, torque if you will. I have always like the push more than the snap personally. Just gotta get both built identical then put the one you don't like as much in the safe for later lol. That reminds me I need another rack for more SS!!

In general, 40 cal. Single Stacks are more difficult to get 100% reliable, especially feeding, than a 45. Is this a factor for anyone?

be

I did think about that a little bit, and it did take some tuneing but it was a mag issue. I knew if anyone could make one work Benny could, and he did.---------Larry

Hello: I have not had all the feeding problems that people talk about with my 40. I installed a 40 barrel in my Kimber Eclipse 10mm and it has worked great. I have used 40,10mm and 45 mags and they all work. The only mags I had problems with are the Tripp mags-- go figure? If the feed ramp is correct then it will work with any mag. I voted for 40 but will be trying a 45 in back to back tests. Then I will find out what is best for me. Thanks, Eric