Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS caliber choice

G-ManBart

Okay, if you were going to buy/build a new gun dedicated for USPSA Single Stack (P) which would you pick? Assume you already load in volume for .40 but not for .45 and this gun is only going to be used for matches, and not CCW, home protection etc. Let's hear it...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me .40 is it, you covered it; I load for .40 and the 1050 is set up.

The .45's seem like they are a little easier to get running 100%, and if cost were no object I'd have 4x1050's

1 for 147gr mousefart PROD loads

1 for 125 gr TJ / Super Comp loads

1 for 180 gr Limited loads in .40

and 1 juuuuuuuuuust for .45 swingle stack loads.

But it ain't, things are tight, so I shoot 90+% .40. Besides, not everyone has a .40 and like you said, it's not a double duty defense gun.

FOHTEY!!!!!

Edited by dirtypool40

Hey dude!! Fun match this past saturday. I had a blast, still was getting over my flu but felt better.

I shoot a 40 trojan, I'm able to use the same loads as my limited gun, and with the 650 i can crank ammo out easier.

I shoot a 45 as well, and load that with a 550.

I can't say i really feel any difference in the recoil impulse and all that, it is just more convenient.

Bart..

After carefull consideration...(including the fact you will be in direct competition wit me at SS)

I think the best thing you can do is shoot 50AE in a desert eagle...10 inch bbl :rolleyes:

Nah...you shoot 40 and load it bunches.....40 would work well for you :D

Jim

Hey dude!! Fun match this past saturday. I had a blast, still was getting over my flu but felt better.

I shoot a 40 trojan, I'm able to use the same loads as my limited gun, and with the 650 i can crank ammo out easier.

I shoot a 45 as well, and load that with a 550.

I can't say i really feel any difference in the recoil impulse and all that, it is just more convenient.

Uh oh, if you were getting over the flu and still won we're in for trouble ;)

I still think it was cool that there were four of us within 6 match points after it was all said and done...nothing like solid competition to make you better.

I think we should consider adding 9mm to the mix.....

With ammo prices skyrocketing, shooting 9 to me is starting to make sense. Take this into consideration:

For my supplier, 1000 lead bullets + primers and powder and using range brass costs me $113. Same thing with jacketed bullets costs me $159 per thousand.

Shooting 9mm, jacketed bullets + primers and powder, using range brass = $100. Using lead is quite a bit less there as well.

So, if your goal is to get to the range as much as you can and run enough drills to improve (and you're not made of money) it would be hard to argue economically against shooting 9mm.

With enough practice, shooting A's is easy. ;)

+ you have the advantage of having 10 in the gun which on some COF is a pretty big advantage; for example this past weekend's match, without throwing a miss or make up shot, I went to slide lock at 9 rounds 2x....

What's a 40 :rolleyes:

I load .45 ACP for volume and have never seen why I should consider a 40. (Unless I wanted to get into limited)

I shoot Revolver, Single Stack, and once in a while Limited 10 in USPSA..... and CDP and ESR in IDPA and the same .45 load takes are of them all.

I'm of the school of thought shared buy Robbie L. and lots of shooters that the 230 grain .45 is a softer easier loading to control than a lighter .40 at the same power factor.

Good enough for TGO... good enough for me :cheers:

I just like the feel of the .45 recoil pulse better than that of a .40. Once you have a press, the extra cost to get .45 dies is peanuts. It also only takes a few minutes to change calibers. I run at least 5K of rounds every time I change to a new caliber so the change over time is a minor issue.

This would be an obvious choice under the circumstances you set forth.....

I'd be all about a 40 caliber. Same powder, same OAL, same recoil, same casings, same bullets etc....

BUT, having said that, I have to say I own only 1 single stack 1911. The Springfield TRP Professional, and I LOVE that pistol. It is a 45ACP, and yes I do have to change everything over on my 550B when I have to load for it.

Looking to buy a new skinny gun? No question. It'd be a 40 caliber pistol.