Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

***** BULLET PRICES?

ATMester

I paid $ 29 / 500 round last time like a month and a half ago when I got my 5000 rounds order from Bear Creek. (btw I think they are not in the business anymore.)

Yesterday I was checking the prices with masterblaster and I almost did a back flip :surprise: the prices almost doubled!!!

Shooting will be the privilege for the famous and rich from now on???

Maybe I should start shooting bulls-eye then 1000 rounds would last for a year...or maybe archery???

Seriously what's coming? I don't even thinking about getting a limited gun anymore...

Anybody knows where I can find "relatively cheap" .45 bullets?

Edited by TheHun

No kidding, I did do the blind dog thing last night and actually got 2 boxes of Winchester .40 for 11.99 a box at Sports authority, Hey but if it makes you feel any better you should check out the price of primers.

Relatively cheap 45 means hardcast lead. They smoke more but I rarely shoot indoors. You also need to watch out for bullet lube buildup in the chamber and clean it with a chamber brush when needed. For less than $50/K, it's worth the effort IMHO.

Look for a local caster and place a big order once you know their bullet works well for you. The local caster I buy from has a nice price break at 10K bullets in a single order. Do a group buy among friends if needed to get the quantity price breaks. I'd stock up sooner than later as lead prices are increasing again.

Edited by 1911user

What I hate is getting ready to buy a bunch of Berrys then seeing the lead surcharge they add at checkout.

Buy your Berry's from Cabelas online. No surcharge and even with shipping comes to about $86.00 /1000 for 180gn 40 cal.

Angel

What I hate is getting ready to buy a bunch of Berrys then seeing the lead surcharge they add at checkout.

Buy your Berry's from Cabelas online. No surcharge and even with shipping comes to about $86.00 /1000 for 180gn 40 cal.

Angel

Thanks for the tip!!!!!

Just ordered 1000 185 HBRN 45's from Cabelas. $90.91 including freight

The same bullets---direct from Berry's-------------$115.34

Bill

"Maybe I should start shooting bulls-eye then 1000 rounds would last for a year...or maybe archery???"

When I was shooting Bullseye, that 1,000 rounds was about a two week supply between matches and practice. I cast all of by short line (25 yard) ammo back then using straight wheeleight alloy. My 50 yard ammo I would use an alloy consisting of wheelweights and 50/50 solder. I haven't cast in years and have been hoping it is going to stay that way. I've been buying the 200 grain .45 SWC from Oregon Trail and have liked them. I never thought I'd be paying $900 a case for .22 LR but I just did. I guess we just have to decide what our time is worth.

There is a bright side to all of this....two years from now we will be talking about how cheap bullets were on '07.

Regards,

Bob

...or perhaps lead-free bullets ??? :mellow:

That would be just dandy, except that pricing on non-lead (Sinterfire) bullets are about twice

the price of lead. Solid copper bullets are also out there, but copper prices are whackier

than lead prices. Maybe carve some out of a nice piece of wood?

...or perhaps lead-free bullets ??? :mellow:

That would be just dandy, except that pricing on non-lead (Sinterfire) bullets are about twice

the price of lead. Solid copper bullets are also out there, but copper prices are whackier

than lead prices. Maybe carve some out of a nice piece of wood?

I have plenty of .223 and .308 with wooden bullets, since that's what we used for our blank firing adapters back home. Without the adapter they work fine for shooting small game at very close range, but I think I'd have some problems knocking down steel with them... ;)

Oh, and making factor might also be a problem...

You can look at local match participation and guess that these prices are having an effect.

I talked to my bullet supplier today. He lives within driving distance and has super-cheap cast bullets.

He told me that the only way I could buy bullets is to bring him some wheelweights. He is out of everything, even scrap lead!

I don't know what to do. If I could find a reasonable source of lead I'd start casting.

To me the time seems right to mine some of the lead we have "deposited" in the berms of every gun club in the country.

Can you imagine how much lead is in the ground at PASA Park????? How difficult could it be????? We know where it's at.

One of the clubs where I teach CPL classes has a small indoor range. Last Winter they dug up the sand in front of the metal back stop and sifted it. The retreived 15 five gallon buckets of lead, jackets etc.