Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Congrats to XRE......... our newest GM!

dfwmiket

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me feels like I should be making an acceptance speech or something.... :lol: You guys rock....

If I can do this, any one of you can, too. In terms of shooting skills, I'm nobody special - its just hard work, paying attention, asking for help, and taking action on what I'm told. ;)

That said - there's a couple of "thanks" I would like to make, just because....

When I came back into this game almost 2 1/2 years ago, I found this forum while I was out looking for the old IPSC mailing list. There's certainly a high level of skill on this forum (I mean, look who hosts it, after all) - but what I found was that the high level of mutual support and personal drive I saw in this folks on this forum has been a major inspiration for me. I get as much out of the new shooter getting his D card for the first time as I do out of one of my peers making GM. This community is amazing. I imagine I could've made GM without you guys - you didn't do the work for me, after all - but I wouldn't have wanted to do it that way. So, thanks ;)

I think many of you know that Matt Burkett has been a big part of my shooting. Matt was the first "big shooter" I had any real contact with. I met Matt via the IPSC list, and spent some time on the phone with him, ordered his book, and spent some time learning from there. Eventually, I managed to make a class - where I actually met him for the first time - and that's where it all began. I shot my first GM classifier at a match that weekend, and very quickly made A class. Master followed within the year. GM took a little while longer... but that was my fault :D Matt's support and help, and his uncanny ability to understand exactly where I'm at and what I need to hear has been crucial for me - I can't thank you enough for that support, buddy.

My good buddy Bryan Williams (Bryan W) came back into this game about the same time I did, with about the same length of hiatus. We had a lot of common ground, in that regard, and have spent a lot of time chatting about the game. I'd like to say that I've given as much as I've gotten out of those conversations, but I know the truth ;) His encouragement to go tackle the hard goals, and to be realistic about my own abilities (ie, that I wasn't recognizing what I really did already have), has helped me make some huge breakthroughs.

The Austin crowd is populated with a ton of great people to know and shoot with. In particular, Chet Polo (DJPolo) and Roy Stedman (shred) have become friends of mine, and I'm proud to know them. Good peoples, them guys :) I haven't gotten to know Karl Rehn real well, yet, but he was kind enough to give me a place to practice when we lost our range last year. I appreciate that like I can't even tell you....

Rusty Kidd, in Atlanta, has built the machines I've achieved all of these goals with. His guns are solid, bad ass equipment.

Bob Londrigan has become a friend of mine, as well - he also helped me with a place to practice last year, and has had me up since then, as well. We've squadded at a couple of big matches, now, too. Bob's perspectives on shooting the game at the top level have been very educational, and (whether he knows this or not) he's challenged me to discard dishonest appraisals of my performances, and unrealistic game plans on my stage breakdowns (or, at least, to know why I'm making a certain plan). That kind of growth is painful :D, but I look forward to more of it. Like my relationship with Bryan, I hope I can return what I've received at some point... ;)

She'll never read this unless I point it out to her, but my lovely wife Beth is my biggest fan and supporter. I'm extremely lucky to have her. She's stuck with me through some incredible stuff, and has been a far bigger rock in my life than I could've expected when I met her almost 17 years ago. Love you, baby :wub:

Ok, enough of this stuff.... :D heh heh...

Lest I forget - AustinMike came into this game about the time I came back to it... His help in running the local club, and just getting my *ss out there to setup and stuff has been irreplaceable ;)