Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post Office wants $83.25 additional postage

Rik

I've gotten bullet or brass in flat rate boxes that were shrink wrapped before, so much so that you could barely make out the print on the box. No big deal. Last box of brass I ordered got tore open and they taped it up. Seemed to have all my brass, luckily. I live in a small town and explained to the post office people that I'll occassionally get these obscenely heavy boxes and that if they like, they can just leave me a note in my mailbox and I'll swing by the office up the road and get them. I know it's their job, but I do feel badly when a small female carrier has to lug several boxes of bullets to her vehicle and then again to my house or the lock box in the neighborhood. One of the carriers used to do just that. We have a new one that jams them in the community lock box. My wife tried to tell her about the note thing, but she got huffy with her and we said screw it, let her carry the boxes then. The clerks have been cool about it in the past though. They would laugh when I walked in and ask if I'm there to pick up another box of lead.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for your predicament, , sounds like BS to me, but on a lighter(?) note. My postman put my bullet order in front of our front glass screen door and when my wife, who has arthritis, arrived home didn't have have the strength to move them to allow her to get in the house. She eventually sat on the ground and pushed the boxes out of the way with her legs so she could open the front door. She apparently didn't find that near as funny as I did. :lol:

Now that's funny :lol:

You should've asked her why she just didn't use the back door...

I digress....

I noticed from the first post it mentioned "priority boxes"). Maybe that was just a typo but priority boxes and flat rate priority boxes have different shipping rates.

If that's not the case tell them to re-deliver or you'll file a complaint.

Good luck,

Gary

Back door has inside chain lock....She's a good sport though!

Sorry for your predicament, , sounds like BS to me, but on a lighter(?) note. My postman put my bullet order in front of our front glass screen door and when my wife, who has arthritis, arrived home didn't have have the strength to move them to allow her to get in the house. She eventually sat on the ground and pushed the boxes out of the way with her legs so she could open the front door. She apparently didn't find that near as funny as I did. :lol:

It must be a conspiracy!!! I arrived home today to find my Zero Bullets order piled up on my doorstep in front of my carport door. My wife had to go in through the front door when she got home because she could not open the storm door on the carport. I know this guy did this just to piss us off. But hey, he had to carry them down the drive! Ha! :goof:

-snip- I live in a small town and explained to the post office people that I'll occassionally get these obscenely heavy boxes and that if they like, they can just leave me a note in my mailbox and I'll swing by the office up the road and get them. I know it's their job, but I do feel badly when a small female carrier has to lug several boxes of bullets to her vehicle and then again to my house or the lock box in the neighborhood. -snip-
What irks me is the attitude. The box dumped in my driveway was very deliberate. I was very willing to help unload but the carrier simply saw me and dropped it right there. OK, you've got to try harder to hurt lead and you may be having a bad day. I let it slide. The next time the box was in the driveway off to the side. I was cool with that except worrying about somebody driving by and picking it up. But this last time was full of sheer attitude. I expect them to do the job they signed up for and are paid to do.

I think DrawandDuck might have a solution to my problem and save a confrontation with USPS. I really want to avoid a confrontation as I might get my bullets to the door but some of my mail just might get "lost". I wouldn't put it past them to do it. If I start asking for a signature confirmation from the shipper I'll have to go to the station to pick it up and it will save the carrier from lugging it around. No attitudes. I'll ponder on this one.

Last batch of Precision Bullets I ordered had to be picked up from the post office because of "signature required". I couldn't get to the PO before they closed but with a phone call, the guy said he would be there, just knock on the door.

It appears that some folks will work with you and others.....they just want to be a$$hats.

FWIW

dj

I don't have a dog in this fight specificaly, but you run into it everywhere today. I am sick and tired of people not doing the job they are getting paid for. If the postal carrier is a woman tuff, she is paid the same as any other carrier. If she can't do the job then she should not have it. This is true for males or females, if you can't do the complete job then someone who can should have it.

I feel better now!

I live in a rural area, so we have centralized mailboxes, and if a package is too big to fit in the mailbox, they leave a note in the box and you have to go to the PO and pick it up. I went in to get a box of 2k 9mm bullets (seems that everyone in this thread shoots 9mm :)) and my postmistress grinned when she handed them to me, saying, "Must be BBs!"

Anyone ever thought of being nice to the mailman or woman?

It is amazing what this can do for your deliveries.

I had some problems as well till I decided to engage in some Phycological operation.

Cooler with a cold bottle of water on a 95+ day, card saying thaks at Christmas.

Cost me maybe 2 or 3 bucks over a year but I get great service.

Yes it is a shame to have to encourage someone to do their job the way they get paid to do it.

I have my bullet orders shipped to my work, and the old crotchety mail man bitches the whole time he is unloading them. I use to have them delivered to my home but they kept screwing it up and putting them wherever they could flop them out on the ground.

I get 2000 rd flat rate boxes from Precision Delta with some regularity.

No residential delivery here, everything is picked up at the post office. They leave a note

in my box when there is a package to be picked up at the counter.

First time the old postmaster picked a box off of the shelf: ??WTF??? "Bullets"----from there the

conversation wandered to the SKS he bought back from Vietnam, the current price of 7.62x39,

and where to get SKS stripper clips.

He retired, and we got a postmistress.

First box: ???WTF????? "bullets"----REALLY? Where do you shoot? We just moved here and are looking for a range. How many bays? How much are the dues? IPSC? Sounds like fun!

Gotta love small rural towns.

Bill

What really bothers me is that they are the ones that came up with the size & weight limit for these flat rate boxes.

I remember asking, 70 pounds, really ? I figured they took one, filled it with sand and said, that the max.

If they did not them to be filled with lead then they should have set a lower weight limit.

My mail carrier was just dumping them in the middle of my driveway, nowhere near the garage.

I was home during one delivery and went out to cheerfully take them from the back of the truck (trying that NICE idea). My mail carrier treated me as if I were Satan himself and still gives me the stink-eye at every opportunity. The next time bullets got dumped in the driveway I called her boss. Now my bullets get delivered by someone else(never seen them), left neatly at my garage door, BEFORE my regular mail arrives.

I don't think the average USPS employee is fond of flat-rate boxes of bullets. Too bad, just go up their chain of command and your bullets WILL get delivered.

About once a month, we get deliveries of Priority Mail boxes. They come 25 to a carton and we normally get 5000 or so boxes, so that would be around 200 cartons. The cartons show up over a period of 4-5 days, so there is a heck of a lot of cartons being ifting and moving.

Our normal carrier is a very nice friendly woman around 40 years old or so. She starts bringing them in on her own. We always help, but if everyone is busy(rarely, but has happened), she does it all by herself.

Her relief carrier is a man around 35 or so. He always drops off a "pickup notice" and we have to go to the station to get the cartons.

I asked the regular carrier one time about the difference in styles and she got pretty angry at her relief guy. She said it is the carriers responsibility to deliver the mail properly, no matter what it is or how heavy it is, and it just bugs her when her co workers don't do their job.

I like her style a lot.

I am engaged in an on going feud with the Post Office over delivery of all mail and praticularly bullets. When I go in and pick up a box of bullets I love to get in the woman's line at the counter and watch struggle with the package. Hey we are all equal now.

Last week I had a box delivered to the door from masterblasters and it was incredibly light. I had received about 400 bullets instead of the 2100 or so .40's it was supposed to contain. The metal ammo can that was inside the flat rate box was crushed on the end with hinges and had obviously been repackaged somewhere between Washington and Indiana.

The regional director lady agreed it was their fault but they were not going to pay for it because it was not insured. The local post master said it would have been a rejected claim even if it was insured because it was improperly packaged and that is why it had busted open. I said they usually arrive just fine and they are always packaged this way. I asked why it would be accepted if it was improperly packaged? He had no response to that. He then started complaining that 61 pounds was pushing the weight limit. The limit is 70. I told him the the post office set the rules and the shipper met all of the rules and yet they managed to destroy my package. Still the USPS is not liable for it. I would like to work under such a no liability clause.

I usually have to go pick up MG bullet boxes since they're signature required and I'm never home. I started talking a little to the guy that hauled it out from the back about if these were a pain, and he said 'naw, the AGS people usually get 3 or 4 at once that are this heavy'. AGS is a local jewelry and precious metals dealer.. :o

I get the card in my door that says "signature required". I figure they don't feel like lugging it to the door.

It doesn't bother me as I get off work at 3:00 PM and the post office is on the way home, but I can see the point of those that need (and paid for) the home delivery.

They wanted to know what is in the boxes every time I pick them up. They stopped asking one day when I showed up and they watched me squees a short length of train track into a flat rate box. (was shipping it to a rail buff cousin) Now they just figure it's train stuff.

Ted

Same way I've received bullets from Angus, as well. This is your local post office trying to jab at you for forcing them to lift heavy boxes.... <_<

ETA - and I get to watch the guys behind the counter at the local PO wrap boxes with endless pieces of tape as they take packages in to be shipped... If it was a modification of the box, the PO on the sender's side should have noted it and charged the extra shipping... This is the local PO trying to be a bunch of d***s, is what it is :angry:

+1 sounds like they're trying to have you pay for the higher disability premiums because of the heavy boxes the PM has to lug around. I'd complain to the PMG as suggested as there is nothing in the Flat Rate box description that prohibits using clear tape. Civil servants at their best...

For a long time I had pretty much everything I ordered delivered to my work address. None of our office people would touch anything with my name on it after they tried to deliver 4K bullets to my office.

Now if my home mail carrier is a lump, then the guy delivering at work was a total slug. Our receptionist made the mistake of telling this slug the boxes contained bullets and the next thing I know I had Precision Delta calling me asking quite rudely why I had told them the boxes contained ammo. Apparently the slug had reported them for shipping ammo. Took me about 3 years to ever order from Precision Delta again, and only out of desperation. After I spoke to his boss, I never saw that mail carrier deliver again. I was surprised because he had that route for 15 years. The only time I've ever seen him since then, he was delivering to a different area on foot. Karma must have smacked him in the face pretty hard.

I always answer "rocks" if asked what's in the boxes.

I asked the regular carrier one time about the difference in styles and she got pretty angry at her relief guy. She said it is the carriers responsibility to deliver the mail properly, no matter what it is or how heavy it is, and it just bugs her when her co workers don't do their job.

I like her style a lot.

I would buy that woman lunch :cheers: