Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Shot a Hole right Thru my chrono

Anyone else ever done this?

Mine was with a 9mm 124gr JHP out of a Beretta PX4 Storm, I'm guessing about 1100 fps, but we'll never know.

s5000005dy7.jpg

s5000006rm0.jpg

Edited by Kyle O

Wow...NO never saw that happen before <_<

Jim :blink:

That's right, the fact that my current chrono is the second one I've owned means nothing. Also check the zero on the dot of a new open blaster before shooting over a chrono :ph34r:

Well you can get an idea of velocity by calculating the expended kinetic energy taking into account the density and thickness of the various materials, but I dont think that's what the manufacturer had in mind................................................,

I killed the excact same model with a 3006, did my bench testing, stood up to leave but had one more round left, screens were a little low, scope a little higher than bore, had to sqat a little to take the off hand shot and kaploy!!!, Good thing was at the time Citibank was running a promotion at the time, that was buy something on their credit card if you accidently destroy it in 30 days they would replace it. TV add showed people unloading a big screen tv on a hill and watching it go tumbling out of the box and down the hill. COurse the reality was they really made me jump through hoops to get the credit, wouldnt do it over the phone, sent me papers filled them out mailed em off waited, then they sent me more papers asking how did I know it was destroyed ? Uh the .308 hole through the front and the 3 " exit hole is a dead give away,,, mailed that off, then they wanted an affidavit from a witness, mailed that off, then they wanted to know why I was shooting at it, mailed that off guess they finally ran out of questions or figured I wouldnt give up like they assumed most people would have by now and make them honor their tv adds. So I finally got my $79 credit. and the new chono has survived about 10 years now.

The one I got didn't look as thoroughly shot as yours. I tagged an Alpha with a 170PF .40. Nice clean hole in the display screen and a nice clean hole out the back. :blink:

First time I ever even saw a chrono I had borrowed one from a friend of mine :rolleyes: First shot! Whammo!!!!! I got home, called him & asked what brand chrono he would buy if he was going to buy a chrono. He starts telling me how well he likes that one & if he was buying a new one it would be----HEY, Did you Shoot my Chrono?!?!?!?!?!?!? I fessed up & we both had a good laugh. Good news is it was a very inexpensive one. It still worked but you had to hold the parts together. I kept it for quite a while until I loaned it to a friend of mine & well, the rest is history. hahaha. He wound up paying me what I had paid my buddy & I added some $$ to it & bought a CED with the remote electronics.

By the way, if that is a Shooting Chrony brand, they will fix it for you for a very reasonable price.

Welcome to the club! :)

MLM

I went with a buddy of mine to pick up his STI at the gunsmith. The gunsmith had a Chrono what had an armor plate across the front that went up at a 45 degree angle. You could crouch down and the metal blocked the bullets from hitting the Chrono, but when you stood up you could see the screen just fine. I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

Not at all difficult and I killed one and didn't hit it with a bullet. I was chroning some 45-70 black powder rifle loads and the wad took out the read out screen. The bullet went where it was supposed to go. Of course I still don't know the velocity of that last round.

Wow!! this is very funny!! I'm guessing it is shot by accident right? I'm curious,How do you you shoot a chrono??

It is really quite simple, Aim low and Bang, dead chrono. It works best when the sun is going down and you are trying to get that last load checked.

We had a guy in our club several years ago wanting to chrono some loads after a match. He was down range shooting: Pow, Pow, Pow - "OH SH!+".

We knew exactly what happened and everyone starting laughing. While it was gone for repairs, I built a shield like was talked about above, a piece of 1/2" steel welded at a 45* angle to a steel base. I don't remember anyone else ever shooting the chrono.

I hit my PACT skyscreens chrono'ing some 10mm loads in my G20 a few years ago...

A few years back I was out at the range doing some chrono work. This guy walked up and asked if he could chrono some loads. I told him sure but the skyskreens were 27.50 each and if he shot one he had to pay. He agreed and he got both skyscreens on the first shot. He opened his wallet and handed me 60 bucks and a Im Sorry about that. I felt bad because he still didn't know how fast his loads were going.

• 2 months later...