Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ouch.. Need Low Recoil Slug Suggestions

Spaceghost

I ran out to the range today to sight in my Saiga 12 on which I'd installed a Pride Fowler dot.

Last week I'd picked up a few (10rd) boxes of Peters (Remington) 7/8oz high velocity (1800fps) slugs.

Lucky for me the sight was already 'on paper' at 50yds.

But OUCH! :surprise: those slugs kicked! And I'm not a wuss.. I'm a BIG guy and I have significant LARD behind my stock (LARD = Large Adjustable Recoil Dampner) as a result of the FAT that I have developed over the years of shooting (FAT = Firepower Accomodation Technique).

I already had the gas system on the more restrictive setting.

Two Questions:

1.) What low recoil / managed recoil / tactical slug - does everyone have good experience with??

2.) Anyone want to buy (cheap) the other 4 or so boxes of this mule kicking slug ammo??

Just before the 2005 3 Gun Nationals we chron'd a bunch..

If I remember correctly, for the low recoil slugs.. From slowest to fastest they went..

Winchester Rangers

Remmingtons

Federals

So, I try to always shoot the Federals.. but can't really see much difference in POI or 'kick'

The Wolf's etc... Ouch! lol

I had the same experience with the Rem. 7/8 oz. slugs. I thought "Gee, a light 7/8 oz. slug will be mild to shoot". So I ordered a few hundred rounds. I didn't read the part about 1,800 fps! Wow! I learned quickly after touching one off!

The Rem. Managed Recoil is good. The Fed. is perhaps better recoil-wise, but shoots higher and isn't as accurate in my guns. I like the Wolf slugs. Recoil about the same as Rem, but more accurate (at least in my Remington 1100 and 11/87).

The Fiocchi's are good slugs. But don't buy a case of it until you run 2-3 boxes out of your gun.

The less recoil/velocity may not drive your gun. They weren't 100% with my 1100's and I've seen an SX2 choke on them. They are the "heat" if your shotgun functions with them.

I have chronoed all major brands and the only ones that ran 100% and met 520pf reliably (not that important anymore in USPSA) were the Federal Tactcal/Low-Recoil. The WW and Fiocchi failed to cycle my 11-87 reliably, the Remington ran, but didn't make 520PF reliably.

I choose the Federals for 3 reasons in the following order of importance:

1. Plenty of function oomph!

2. Accuracy (they group one hole at 50 yards from a rest)

3. Ease of availability

YMMV

I have chronoed all major brands and the only ones that ran 100% and met 520pf reliably (not that important anymore in USPSA) were the Federal Tactcal/Low-Recoil. The WW and Fiocchi failed to cycle my 11-87 reliably, the Remington ran, but didn't make 520PF reliably.

I choose the Federals for 3 reasons in the following order of importance:

1. Plenty of function oomph!

2. Accuracy (they group one hole at 50 yards from a rest)

3. Ease of availability

YMMV

Yep. The Federal Tactical's will shoot <2" @ 50yds in SX2. They're the only slug I use.

Ed

Thank you to all that have commented. I'm going to try a couple of things.

1. I'm going to get a couple of boxes of the low recoil slugs discussed and test them for function and accuracy.

2. I'm going to get a limbsaver or similar pad and adapt it for my stock (I have an AR collapsable stock

I'm also going to try one other thing.. just for the hell of it.. :wacko:

I'm shooting a Saiga 12. I have an AR buffer tube for a stock adapter. The tube is empty and when installed is sealed at both ends. I'm thinking of putting lead shot in the empty tube. I'm curious if it will act similar to the mercury recoil reducers in that the loose shot will shift under recoil to dampen the shock of recoil. It will at minimum increase the overall weight of the gun which should reduce recoil and it will bring some weight to the back to better balance the barrel heavy gun. One friend theorizes the sound of the shot shifting in the aluminim tube will eventually drive me insane..

B&P Slugs are also nice. Very accurate very soft. They work in my Browning Gold but your mileage may vary. They should be available from Dillon Precision ( at least they cataloged them in the last blue press I got). I got a case of them a couple of years ago then they stopped importing them. Looks like dillon has picked them up.