Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Our National Anthem

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The company I work for holds a meeting two times a year when we bring the mgmt teams in the company together to discuss the business etc. etc.

At one of these meetings, 4 or 5 years ago, they brought in this man who worked for the company. He was handicapped and had those crutches that attach to the forearm. They announced the National Anthem and we stood of course. He made his way to the microphone - and you could tell getting around wasn't the easiest thing for him.

I don't know what it was. It wasn't his voice. It wasn't a great voice - but somehow perfect for our nations anthem. He belted the national anthem in a way that I've never heard before. So full of passion that as I type this the goose bumps are coming up. His voice was hard, tough, gruff even. I don't know. It was just awesome. When he sang "home of the brave" you had the feeling he knew exactly what "the brave" meant.

I've seen a ton of celebrities and singers (and BTW Jewel was without a doubt the most impressive both in terms of talent and appearance - stunning on both accounts). But not one of them, IMO, could sing the National Anthem in a way that compared to that gentleman that day.

I consider myself blessed just to be fortunate enough to have heard him sing it. And I don't even know his name.

J

It was just awesome. When he sang "home of the brave" you had the feeling he knew exactly what "the brave" meant.....

....I consider myself blessed just to be fortunate enough to have heard him sing it. And I don't even know his name.

J

It always means more when it comes from the heart.

dj

Me

OK ....Me & You

The National Anthem is somthing you sing ..not listen to.

Ok you should know this = Why was Fancis Scott Key a prisoner on the British Ship in the first place = how did that happen? ..... I know I know!.... ask me

Edited by AlamoShooter

My good friend and shooting partner Carl Carbon's young (12 maybe) daughter. She volunteered to sing it as the opening for the Ephrata 3 gun April 21st.

#1 what 12 year old knows the tune let alone willing to stand up in front of a crowd 75 and sing it?

#2 she pulled it off wonderfully!

Patrick

A blind and half deaf kid at our pro hockey game. I am not making fun of him he does an awesome job!!! I get chocked up'd everytime I hear the National Anthem, but he makes it even worse for me knowing how much he loves singing it.

Edited by MarkS_A18138

One more version by Sandi. Sorry but I love to hear this women sing this song. First time I heard her do it I was a skinny E3 in Korea. She made me swell with pride to be wearing the uniform.

Angel

Sung accapella by the Air Force mixed choral group...they sing it as it was written, with NO added runs or singer interpretations...just as it should be...the pop singers cannot just sing it...they have to ADD something, and that spoils it for us purists... ;)

I agree with AlamoShooter: you should sing it, not listen to it, but if you have to listen, I hear Fergie did a bangup job at a NASCAR race.

She did.

I was at a match at Rayner's. It must have been cold, as a bunch of us were inside the shack...either before, during or after shooting. There was a little TV with rabbit ears...the picture was all snowy.

She did a great job.

I now know how to get a bunch of shooters to shut-up and pay attention.

Why was Fancis Scott Key a prisoner on the British Ship in the first place = how did that happen?

OK - I remembered studying about it in HS but since forgotten - so I cheated:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/fomc/tguide/Lesson9a.htm

During the War of 1812, Dr. William Beanes, a close friend of Key's was taken prisoner by the British. Since Key was a well-known lawyer, he was asked to assist in efforts to get Dr. Beanes released. Knowing that the British were in the Chesapeake Bay, Key left for Baltimore. There Key met with Colonel John Skinner, a government agent who arranged for prisoner exchanges. Together, they set out on a small boat to meet the Royal Navy

On board the British flagship, the officers were very kind to Key and Skinner. They agreed to release Dr. Beanes. However, the three men were not permitted to return to Baltimore until after the bombardment of Fort McHenry. The three Americans were placed aboard the American ship and waited behind the British fleet. From a distance of approximately eight miles, Key and his friends watched the British bombard Fort McHenry.