Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Magazines For .40

wyshooter

My 40 Kimber..

45s were a no-go..

Best mags I found were MetalForms (I used the 10MMs) ..

The 8 rounders with the metal follower (the 9 round plastic followers didn't work)

Brownells.. 620-010-008

Edited by BerKim

MecGar, Chip McCormick, and Tripp are also options. I didn't have very good luck with Metalform's, but mine will run on about any .45 mag you want also. I wouldn't buy too many until you are sure your gun likes them no matter what brand you go with.

Hello: Out of all the 40 mags and 45 mags that I have tried in my 40 the Tripp mags where the worst. Take them out of the package and all did not work. I did this with Chip McCormick Power mags for 45 and work great in my 40. The same was true with Wilson 45 47D, Metalform 45 round top follower and some MecGar mags. If you want really good mags and can live with 8 rounds then the Metalform 7rd 45acp mags are great. You can find them used really cheap. My next choice would be the Chip McCormick 8rd 45 power mags. If you want to play around with the feedlips, followers and springs you can make some wonderful 40 magazines that hold 10 rounds and fit the IDPA box. Ask JoeD since he told me not to tell his secrets ;-) Thanks, Eric

I put 275 rounds through my converted Delta Elite (ramped Schuemann .40 barrel) last night with my Chip Mc. 9 round 10mm mags. That gun has been unbelievable with any ammo I put in it. It'll shoot short factory @ 1.125" or my stuff out to 1.250"

While Chip's are great I think the best is actually the MecGar 10mm mags that only hold 8 rounds. The bases were so hard I couldn't drill and tap for a base pad without heating them up cherry red. AND, I believe a local big name hi-cap gun maker in the metroplex also uses them for his single stack guns just like allot of European manufacturers.

I've seen Tripp's Cobra mags work well but don't own any as I have so many Chip's and MecGar mags.

Any .45 mags I've tried were unreliable.

I had some Metalforms that were OK but I can't wait to get ahold of the new Wilson 10mm mags...

Heard a rumor once that Wilson's were made by MecGar....?????

• 1 month later...

The wilson mags are imho made the way a non .45 1911 mag should be made. Instead of the tiny ridges/bend/impressions on both sides of a mag like most manufacturers they have one larger ridge/bend/impression just on the left side of the mag. This means that the cartridge is fully supported on the right side of the mag by the mag body and held there by the ridge on the left. As opposed to a ridge on either sider where the cartridge can move more. The down side is that i had them on order direct from wilson in october of last year and recieved them about a month ago. I think they are more available now but for a while it was very hard to get ahold of them.

Having said that I have also had good luck with chip mccormic 9 rounders. Tripp mags were by far the worst(and like an idiot i bought 5 because i had heard they were the best) i would say that at least one stoppage every other mag is normal and many times it is 2+ per mag with the tripps in my gun(though in there defense i think my RZ-10 has a bit of a tight chamber).

My Tripp mags seem to work fine, but they took some tweaking. The feed lips were very sharp when I received them (like, sharp enough to gouge the cases). After consulting w/ Virgil, I dressed them down, and made sure the lips were spaced properly. No problems from there... until recently, when the gun has started a habit of locking open with 2 rounds left in the mag. I'm not certain that's the mag's fault, though. A little grinding on the inside of the slide stop seems to have that little issue corrected...

Frankly, single stack .40 seems to be a real PITA to get working - cause the mags you need are gun dependent, and some manufacturers haven't cut the feed ramps appropriately, either. Once you figure out what works, though, it shoots real nice - softer and flatter than .45, which makes it a nice competition package.

I just shoot my first match with my springfield 40 last weekend using Wilson mags. The only mag I had any problems with was the one tripp mag I have. The Wilsons worked great for me so far.

THe mag locking back early could also be the casing of a round that is feeding into the chamber pulling the round below it forward and the round that got pulled forward hitting the slide lock. This was a problem with the tripps i had as well(i shoot 10mm so there is also a little more recoil). The wilson mags have a higher front mag face since the 40 obviously doesnt need all the room that a .45 does. I feel that this helps to fix that problem(i havent had it again with the wilson mags). When i was using tripps i too had to modify the slide stop to get them to work but that was a bandaid fix and didnt address the real problem of the round running forward early.

I just shoot my first match with my springfield 40 last weekend using Wilson mags. The only mag I had any problems with was the one tripp mag I have. The Wilsons worked great for me so far.

Which Wilson mag?

Rumor has it Wilson will have the 10mm mags out again..I can only hope.

Another local 40 SS shooter uses Tripps and has no problems in his Springfield. I wasn't so lucky and will stay with Chips' or MecGars...

This is a little off thread But Wilson design products are not necessarily Wilson made. I have a Wilson 22 conversion that I just ordered new mags for & when I went to use them the cartridges were feeding below the barrel. When I called Wilson, they said those mags were for the new Marvel unit & my 6 year conversion was a Cenier.

Does any one really know who makes the mags & accessories for Wilson?

This is a little off thread But Wilson design products are not necessarily Wilson made. I have a Wilson 22 conversion that I just ordered new mags for & when I went to use them the cartridges were feeding below the barrel. When I called Wilson, they said those mags were for the new Marvel unit & my 6 year conversion was a Cenier.

Does any one really know who makes the mags & accessories for Wilson?

It like having heinie's name on those crappy sights that are on taurus' 1911. I cant imagine that heine made them and sent them off to brazil.

• 4 weeks later...