Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Pull Guages

CDRODA396

Just wondering what all the gunsmiths are using to measure trigger pull weights?

Looking at all the usual sources, came up with three basic types: mechanical, digital and actual weights. I'm sure there are pros and cons to all three types.

So Gun Doctors, what type do you feel is the most accurate? Most reliable over time? I didnt see any type mandated in Appendix F of the Rule book, is there a required type for IPSC?

I'm not an aspiring gun smith, and let others do my "delicate work" but would like to have a fairly accurate guage to track the pull of my gun over time, settle arguements, etc! :D so would like to know what the "Pro's" are using. Curious minds want to know! ;)

Thanks!

I have a digital and an actual wt. set.

Its hard to go wrong with an actual set of weights and short of mangaling them they will be more acurate over time.

I do like the digital because I can get an avg. and its quicker.

That said I always conduct my final test with wt.

But for what you want I would go with a digital, just be sure to have the roller on the same place every time and get a known brass or steel wt. to test the digital with.

I've got the Lyman electronic. For Glock triggers I machined a larger roller from some

Delrin. Just about fills the available vertical space and is a lot more consistent.

For truly accurate results NOTHING beats a set of dead weights. It's on my Brownell's

wish list if the @#&^#$@ 3 lb minimum trigger pull gets rammed down out throats

in Production. :angry:

Bill

Thanks CDRODA396 I like yours also.

Had the opportunity to go to Ranger school but Scuba training was scheduled for the same time, I figured beach, beer and babes would be more fun than running around in the wood with a bunch of smelly hairy legs and I was right.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a 'smith, but I really like my Lyman Electronic Gauge. I have also used the RCBS cheapo before with fairly decent results --- but you must be extremely consistent with bar placement, pull speed, etc. or your readings will be all over the place. Free weights are by far the most accurate and consistent, but also the most expensive and a royal pita to work with.

BTW, Open 17:

From what I'm hearing from the "higher ups" I don't think we'll have to worry about the 3 lb rule going in effect. Most agree that there are some issues with the production rules, but most seem to also feel that this particular rule would only adversely effect striker-fired guns (Glock, XD) and would be difficult to fairly enforce due to repeatability issues.

Edited by Gunslinger

• 6 years later...

It seems like the Lyman digital is the way to go; but to only use it to check and tune up a couple guns and then let it sit, I would like to save a couple dollars. Has anyone used the Wheeler or Timney?

Edited by chalkdust21

• 6 years later...
19 hours ago, Cuz said:

While I’m sure the weight sets are the most accurate and probably never need or lose calibration, they just seem like a pain to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really.  You just hook it on the trigger same as the spring loaded ones, and lift straight up.  The main thing is they're accurate and repeatable.  A spring gage isn't.  If you ever shoot a match that has a minimum weight, I wouldn't rely on a spring gage for an accurate reading.  Same for any gunsmith who's doing a trigger to a specific weight.