Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Campus Shootings

AikiDale

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree 100%, most of the adjunct instructors and profesors I know are very anti-gun and would never consider "needing" a firearm for any reason. Self defense?? "That is what the police are for!"
Until the naive perpetuation of this attitude is dissolved, we'll continue to see more and more of these pathetic and unnecessary incidents. These events are not so much SAD as they are entirely PREVENTABLE, for pete's sake. :angry:

+1,000,000

Firearms and names of shooter has been released.

9mm and .22 / 23 year old English major at the school.

Speculation he had be planning this for more than a week. Same guns used in both shootings.

Now the news is playing the fear card with quotes such as " 8 rounds in 2 seconds!" or "Isn't a 9mm a para-military round??"

Here we go.

Amongst all this bad stuff there are emerging stories of a true hero...

Jerusalem Post

As Jews worldwide honored on Monday the memory of those who were murdered in the Holocaust, a 76-year-old survivor sacrificed his life to save his students in Monday's shooting at Virginia Tech College that left 33 dead and over two dozen wounded.

Professor Liviu Librescu, 76, threw himself in front of the shooter when the man attempted to enter his classroom. The Israeli mechanics and engineering lecturer was shot to death, "but all the students lived - because of him," Virginia Tech student Asael Arad - also an Israeli - told Army Radio.

Several of Librescu's other students sent e-mails to his wife, Marlena, telling of how he blocked the gunman's way and saved their lives, said Librescu's son, Joe.

Jerusalem Post

As Jews worldwide honored on Monday the memory of those who were murdered in the Holocaust, a 76-year-old survivor sacrificed his life to save his students in Monday's shooting at Virginia Tech College that left 33 dead and over two dozen wounded.

Professor Liviu Librescu, 76, threw himself in front of the shooter when the man attempted to enter his classroom. The Israeli mechanics and engineering lecturer was shot to death, "but all the students lived - because of him," Virginia Tech student Asael Arad - also an Israeli - told Army Radio.

Several of Librescu's other students sent e-mails to his wife, Marlena, telling of how he blocked the gunman's way and saved their lives, said Librescu's son, Joe.

Sounds like a guy with a plan --- or if not a specific plan, at least something he'd thought about...

Latest? news.

Shooter on Anti-depressant drugs.

Shooters writings prompted trip to councilor.

Shooter showed weird behavior in recent past.

So with all three of the above, no one did anything.

And one part of me says good, one part says bad.

Good because prior restraint can be a very slippery slope.

Bad because without prior restraint thing like this can and do happen.

Certainly with the number of shootings where the shooter has been found to be on some form of anti-depressant or anti-ADD type of medication, one would think that there might be a much closer monitoring and just maybe someone somewhere might be starting to think that drugging the crap out of people that just maybe should be institutionalized is not such a good thing.

Wish that I had the answers. All I know is that we are likely in for a real S)(!# storm of new gun laws. No one is likely to suggest that we register the people on these mind altering drugs. That might violate their rights.

What about the rights of the victims not to have these mind-altered types wandering amongst the crowd? What about our rights? We didn't do anything wrong and in fact have been yelling loudly about the dangers that some of these insane laws and court rulings are foisting upon us.

OK, Rant over.

Jim

Jerusalem Post

I haven't seen any of the print or broadcast media today but I have to wonder how widely THIS part of the story will be picked up by the major US networks.

This prof was a guy who'd literally seen hell from the inside out. Sounds like some long-dormant response kicked in.

How much of this event will spur educator training and student awareness? Wonder if anyone (media) will make the observation that combat training does not turn one into a commando, but it certainly makes you able to respond in a threat situation.

Here's something that will really burn folks up. Email this link to the media and to everyone you know:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

On top of that, that paper was the one that took it upon themselves to publish the list of concealed carry permits issued in their area :( to celebrate Sunshine Day.

While I applaud the many states that issue carry permits I can't for the life of me understand why most all of them restrict carry at schools, stadiums, state parks ect.. Do they not understand that all of these gives a nut job the perfect opportunity to kill many people in a short amount of time.

We need our legislatures to correct this problem! Maybe in order to placate the other side states should have a level 1 and a level 2 carry permit. Level 2 requires you to take a course equal to the training a cop receives at the academy(firearm training only). Level 2 then would give you the right to carry anywhere a cop can.

Jerusalem Post

I haven't seen any of the print or broadcast media today but I have to wonder how widely THIS part of the story will be picked up by the major US networks.

This prof was a guy who'd literally seen hell from the inside out. Sounds like some long-dormant response kicked in.

How much of this event will spur educator training and student awareness? Wonder if anyone (media) will make the observation that combat training does not turn one into a commando, but it certainly makes you able to respond in a threat situation.

Foxnews.com and ABCnews.com reported his heroism. I saw nothing on CNN, NBC or CBS.

My heart goes out to the survivors and the families of the slain. I do not think of this as a tragedy, it is an ATROCITY. The results ARE tragic, but the act is an ATROCITY! KURTM

While I applaud the many states that issue carry permits I can't for the life of me understand why most all of them restrict carry at schools, stadiums, state parks ect.. Do they not understand that all of these gives a nut job the perfect opportunity to kill many people in a short amount of time.

We need our legislatures to correct this problem! Maybe in order to placate the other side states should have a level 1 and a level 2 carry permit. Level 2 requires you to take a course equal to the training a cop receives at the academy(firearm training only). Level 2 then would give you the right to carry anywhere a cop can.

The dichotomy probably exists because concessions had to be made to get the votes necessary to pass a shall issue CCW law in the first place......

Jerusalem Post

As someone much more astute than me pointed out on another board that Professor Lirescu's decision to stand his ground and fight evil was probably made in 1945. A true hero.

A point if I may. Folks with Concealed Carry licenses can carry on all Virginia Colleges (except VCU, in Richmond) without being in violation of the law. Students can be expelled and faculty may be terminated, but no law would have been broken. You can expect to be harassed if discovered, but you will be breaking absolutely no laws.

http://www.packing.org/state/virginia/

A terrible thing...

I feel for the families, this is horrible. As the father of a daughter who will be going to college soon I can't imagine what they are going through. They are in my prayers.

What I find strange is that there are no reports of people fighting back. Didn't anybody resist or fight back in any way? No one through a book or a chair? over 50 people hit by a guy using a glock 17, so 17 round mags means a few mag changes and nobody rushed him or tried to stop him while he reloaded or switched gun? Maybe it did happen but there are no reports I have seen or heard.

I have told my girls that if anybody tries to harm them or kidnap them, even at gunpoint they are to run, scream, hit, kick, anything but give in. Giving in will result in something far worse than trying to get away.

Giving in will result in something far worse than trying to get away.

Well said ...... :)

And this is why our men and women in the military are fighting a war in Iraq right now. Because giving in will result in something far worse than fighting back.

Amen brother. B)

There was a similar case although smaller at a Law school in Grundy in the same area of Virginia. My girlfriend was a student at the time. who wasnt involved. To add to the tragedy about half the student body was either current of retired LEO's who were handicapped by the same "No guns at school law" Shooter was finally subdued by students who retrieved there gun from there cars.

Consider reminding others.....

I am a shooter, not a killer. The criminal student at VT was a KILLER not a shooter. Had he used a golf club to kill someone, would he be a golfer? Had he used an ax would he be a lumberjack? The criminals who flew the planes into our lives in September 2001 are killers, not pilots.

There are hundreds of thousands of law abiding citizens who for sport compete in the shooting sports as a physical and mental challenge. They are shooters, not killers. The criminal at VT was a killer not a shooter.

Please encourage others and media to reframe from referring to him as a shooter, a gunman or any other term other than what he was.... a killer. Based on what we are beginning to hear about others warning school and other officials perhaps the first amendment is as much to blame as the second amendment.

Also note that I would not give the killer the dignity of a name. He is not deserving of any reference other than killer. Providing notoriety to such persons may encourage copy cat crimes. As "keeping up with the Joneses" is not limited to excelling, some choose to "out do" others in an evil manner.

Martin J.

Clifton, VA

Edited by Allgoodhits