Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Campus Shootings

AikiDale

One armed bystander could have saved many lives today.

Chances are it would have saved many lives. Back in 2002 an Appalachian State law student went on a shooting rampage that resulted in the deaths of two or three people, and it would have been much worse if he wasn't subdued by three fellow students, two of who were carrying. If only there was one or two Va Tech students who were carrying in that class room and things would have turned out very differently.

Could I get a reference to that story? I know that the media probably did not cover it much but it would be nice to have as a reference.

Thanks,

Ira

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chances are it would have saved many lives. Back in 2002 an Appalachian State law student went on a shooting rampage that resulted in the deaths of two or three people, and it would have been much worse if he wasn't subdued by three fellow students, two of who were carrying. If only there was one or two Va Tech students who were carrying in that class room and things would have turned out very differently.

Could I get a reference to that story? I know that the media probably did not cover it much but it would be nice to have as a reference.

Thanks,

Ira

http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/04/01/13/lang.htm

Thanks,

Ira

http://www.answers.com/topic/appalachian-s...of-law-shooting

Same is true of a middle school shooting some years back - Pearl, Mississippi. The assistant principal ran to his car to get his handgun, then ran back and stopped the shooting. Lives were lost during the run to get the gun.

As a high school teacher I think almost daily about such events. Since we must be disarmed, my best defensive plan involves throwing coffee mugs while my students jump from a second floor window. That's about the best I can come up with the tools available to me.

(Edited for correct location)

Edited by davidball

In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities.
<_<

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Wonder if he still feels the same way?

Edited by cpty1

You want to publicly tell those people they were wrong and ask them how many lives were lost today that were a result of their short sighted laws. But the voices of reason will again be muted by the liberal media who will in turn twist this into a call for more disarmament.

It is a sad day.

Most of all i am sorry for the families and for the loss of so many young lives with bright futures.

When will our society wake up?

Fox News is reporting that the suspect was a Chinese National on a Student Visa. For information in 1998, the government added a law to prevent the ownership of firearms for those on non-immigrant visas. The Student visa is a non-immigrant visa, so technically it sounds like the guns were illegally owned.

Edited by BritinUSA

Just finnished talking to my 21 year old daughter at Ball State. They are questioning the prohibition of carry on campus. She stated she is faster than most of the rent a cops on campus. The girl can shoot, but she's left carrying Mace and a baton.

I am also sorry for the students, parents and faculty of this tragedy but just for a second feel what the first responding officers are going through now. I can't even imagine being the guy on the outside, armed and not being able to do anything about it. We have received training on how to deal with active shootings in schools since the rash of shootings several years ago. I do not know if this agency had the same training or not. I can tell you (from personal experience) that something like this can haunt you forever. So my heart goes out to all involved!

We all know what is on the minds of our political leaders. Make sure you let yourself be heard about the way you feel before they start making snap decisions about our rights.

We all know what is on the minds of our political leaders. Make sure you let yourself be heard about the way you feel before they start making snap decisions about our rights.

very wise words.

frye

Sweet Christ, I am watching the news and the media is calling this the "Single largest act of gun violence"

So tomorrow afternoon, when I go to my mental health classes on campus...

....?? Obey the law and be a sheep?

My life is one of billions. The life of a stranger is one in a billion.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

While I agree 100%, most of the adjunct instructors and profesors I know are very anti-gun and would never consider "needing" a firearm for any reason. Self defense?? "That is what the police are for!"
Until the naive perpetuation of this attitude is dissolved, we'll continue to see more and more of these pathetic and unnecessary incidents. These events are not so much SAD as they are entirely PREVENTABLE, for pete's sake. :angry:

My heart and my prayers go out to everyone involved in this incident, and that includes students & teachers all across this country, as well as the men and women who work as law enforcement at these institutions.

And I hate to think it, but ... you know that somehow this will only fuel this country's need for a much broader gun-ban. This time it won't be just the evil black rifles. This incident has just proven the deadly power of the 9mm handgun. :huh:

"And I hate to think it, but ... you know that somehow this will only fuel this country's need for a much broader gun-ban."
Exactly. Self-defense is a primal, natural and legitimate imperative. Why are we suppressing and repressing this entirely normal and pragmatic behavior...??!! We're doing a very good job of screwing ourselves as a culture and herding (legislating) the unarmed into passive, chaotic and helpless positions. It's suicide on a mass scale. Teachers (who want to) should be armed as much as pilots on planes should be armed. :angry:

Even in this day and age of mindless sheeple the act of single handedly killing over 30 people is no small task. This is NOT the work of some bumbling, stupid crazy guy who just decided to grab a pistol and get even with somebody. There has got to be more here than meets the eye. We might never know the whole story on this one.

And I can't help but wonder how many of them were thinking "Let's not resist because we might get hurt!".

Even worse, how many more will continue to think like that and never EVER see the light.

Dave Sinko

Sadness in my heart for all those lost today.

To a person who's desire is to kill or injure people, the words "Firearms Free Zone" means "Defenseless Target Rich Environment"

Seems this guy had a plan.

If he had strapped explosives to himself and taken out an entire classroom, he would have been called a radical terrorist. Instead, the focus is on this event as gun violence.

God help us (those of us who own guns legally and use them responsibly) All.

Edited by bayoupirate

As a high school teacher I think almost daily about such events. Since we must be disarmed, my best defensive plan involves throwing coffee mugs while my students jump from a second floor window. That's about the best I can come up with the tools available to me.

Speaking as the Father of two teenage girls who are currently going to HS in Indiana:

Get a P3AT and PROTECT MY DAUGHTERS!

Concealed can also mean 100% concealed.

(But I understand the risk of loss of Job :( )

Edited by BBunin

I know some have said / thought to themselves "From now on I will carry concealed while I'm on my local campus, for my own safety"

WARNING: From now on, they will be looking for students with guns.

There are many people in Washington who will never allow guns & schools to mix. And while I agree with the mantra of not being 'sheeple', not ever .... but not at the risk of being charged with a felony for trying to protect yourself.

Speaking as the Father of two teenage girls who are currently going to HS in Indiana:

Get a P3AT and PROTECT MY DAUGHTERS!

Concealed can also mean 100% concealed.

(But I understand the risk of loss of Job :( )

I wrestle with this conundrum often. How would I feel if an incident were to happen at my school and I were unarmed and unable to effectively counter the attack? But then again, how would I feel if I were to lose my job AND my ability to carry and protect myself and my family because I violated the law and had a firearm on school grounds?

While I don't have a firearm at school, I do have a plan. That, is at least, something.