Micah's Range Diary

Micah

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The weather was too nice to pass up the opportunity to head back to the range today, so I shot around 500rds focusing primarily on long distance and partial targets. I significantly prefer the Dawson front/Heinie rear combo. Shooting those sights is as simple as looking.

Thanks Billy...I certainly had my sights set on a better finish though. Tumbling bullets and a wacked out 189pf load contributed to some of my drama at the match...something that I will absolutely un-f*#k before any more matches.

Day one of the match I was being overly conservative...I had two falls during day one, the first being a pretty bad tumble. I allowed that to camp out in my mind and move with more caution. Ending the day with no penalties I felt good, but the lack of aggressiveness in my shooting was going to create a poor placement. Day two I tried to turn it up a bit but never really hit my stride.

Big thanks to all of the people that made the match run very smoothly, BIG thanks to JT for the cooler for my barley soda, and rock on to my squad :)

Not all of the stages from the match are in the video...there were 12 stages in all:

th_06-12-2010Area5.jpg

Nice video Micah! That match looked very difficult and looking at the scores it must have been, lots of mikes and no-shoots. Thanks for posting, I know you like your hatcam but I sure would like to see more video of your movements and footwork, keep up the good work! :cheers:

Shot Circleville's steel match today...the weather was beautiful!

th_06-19-2010CvilleSteel.jpg

Last Tuesday I finally figured out my ammo situation. With almost zero crimp and .2g less powder, I have found a no tumbling, true shooting, 170pf load!

I'm not sure yet...but I might trek down to Ashland Kentucky for their USPSA match tomorrow. I'd like one more match before the Indiana Sectional...just gotta get back before 5p to grill some steaks for my pops ;)

If the smoke is bothering you, and it looks like it did at one stage at A5, changing powders will help at least somewhat. When I shot molys in Production I couldn't use Titegroup without issues. Never did a load that wouldn't tumble out of my CZ and the smoke would block my view. Switched to Solo 1000 and the smoke really cleared and no tumbling issues. Titegroup burns hot hot hot. I was working with Ramshot Competition and making progress, maybe one out of 75 or 100 would tumble and no where near the smoke of Titegroup but not quite as good as Solo 1000.

Maybe pick up a case of Montana Gold's for major matches? I think you'd benefit from a clearer burning load at majors. Just my opinion. :)

^The smoke doesn't bug me at all SLM, and since I FINALLY have a load that is tuned, I won't be changing a thing until the winter months.

Micah,

Did you lighten up a bit more on the crimp and get them to stop tumbling or what? That really hoses your accuracy on those long plate shots like stage 10. I'm not used to seeing you take that many shots at steel. I'd be willing to bet at least some of those misses where from tumbling bullets.

I did get my cooler back... I wasn't worried about it, but it gave me a reason to break your balls... and you just know JT can't miss an opportunity for a good ball busting. :devil:

JT

Glad you got your cooler back bro...I owe ya a few :) I backed that crimp off to the point where I can just barely feel it touching the bullet, then took your advice and pushed the nose of that round on a scale to see how much pressure it would take to set it back. 30lbs wasn't even enough to push the bullet back, so I took that as safe.

The rest is history...and alphas baby B)

Glad you got your cooler back bro...I owe ya a few :) I backed that crimp off to the point where I can just barely feel it touching the bullet, then took your advice and pushed the nose of that round on a scale to see how much pressure it would take to set it back. 30lbs wasn't even enough to push the bullet back, so I took that as safe.

The rest is history...and alphas baby B)

Sounds like you have it nailed down... :cheers: