• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wanted you to know that you inspired me to quit chew.

So far it has been 1 month and 2 weeks tobacco free. After 30+ years and a can a day it has been a stiff challenge, but I'm doing it.

My first tobacco free match was a grind, but I did it. Up to that match, I had never shot without chew.

Anyways, thanks for demonstrating the courage to quit. It helped me.

• 9 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, here is what I know so far:

• My index is still there, but for iron sights and not a dot. That is taking some time.
  • Gen 5 Glocks are infinitely easier to reload than my poor Gen 3 babies!
  • It looks like people find matches in a website called Practiscore. I signed up there and was able to hump around. That's really neat! I remember when you either had Chris Keen doing the scores, and he would be adding them up while I drove us back from the match and upload the results immediately, or you had to WAITTTTTTT!
    • The squadding system in Practiscore is neat too. Cool to see some familiar names.
  • The giant range that I drive by just outside of Columbus, Ohio has apparently become a mecca for sports shooting! Unbelievable to think that there are nationals just an hour from my home! Hey, remember when nats were in Missoula, Montana? Wuff.
  • I just need to show up to a local soon and figure life out. I also need to get some classifiers in carry optics under my belt to change that U to an M.

And finally: Nobody, NOBODY shoots Glocks anymore.

14 or so years ago I was a GM who only shot a Glock 34. I switched to a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow and was just miserable. The gun has a trillion subatomic parts that were impossible to wrangle (compared to my Glock), and I hated having to learn the change of the platform. I hated how changing the gun didn't give me that .5 edge that I needed, and that what I needed was just to get to work on myself and not chase equipment. I still forced myself to train with the CZ, and it was a factor in my burning out of the sport.

14 years later, I'm rusty and have a lot to learn back. If I actually care about it in the first place, and if my G34 becomes the actual, true barrier between winning Area 5 First M and placing somewhere on page four, I'll revisit it.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After an amazing first season back, I get to shoot a nationals for the first time ever! I did not have the opportunity to attend one when I first got into the sport.

Ammo wise, so long as I shoot minor 9, I'll go store bought until the end of time. Blaser 115 brass chronos perfectly for USPSA, so I will stick with that. 147g Blazer is hot as the sun, and the 150g Federal USPSA ammo is not as spicy but still hotter than it needs to be.

I shot a bunch of majors this year, and had so much fun at each of them! Most of the majors I shot Limited 10 with my Gen 5 Glock 34. Beginning with the Ryan Rocks major, I began shooting with an ACRO p-2 on my Glock, as well as a Carver magwell, and I began my Limited Optics party.

There was rarely any dot shooting when I got started, and I never got into the dot game until Ryan Rocks. The learning curve has been staunch, but I am not at a point where I can comfortably hit any target reliably, despite the distance or difficulty. The time needed is still LENGTHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY however, there was a point where I was completely unable to read the dot with any reliability.

I used epoxy glue and silicone carbide to make semi-permanent the aggressive grip, as well as locking in the magwell. I used epoxy to secure the "flashlight" as well to prevent it from moving about. The flashlight is a gutted x300 clone filled with tungsten shot, and adds 15 ounces to the front of the lightweight Glock.

I've been finally dryfiring the way that I need to, and it truly makes all the difference. My goal after nationals is to ramp up training so that when the 24-25 season begins, I'm caught up instead of playing catch up.

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 12.03.47.png

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 12.03.55.png

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 12.04.21.png

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 12.04.30.png

• 2 months later...

After my first season back, I have decided that the juice is worth the squeeze. Here is my Dryfire Dojo 2.0.

Side note: If Steve Anderson is the Socrates of dryfire, which he is, I was def Plato. I gotta get my Plato status back.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 06.32.39.png

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 06.32.46.png