Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

The idea of the online diary is an excellent one! After I practice, I sit down and write in a journal what I worked on and how it went. On top of that tool, I will post anything notable (or worth a laugh) here.

Please feel free to make any comments or give suggestions on my posts :)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12-16

Dryfire went well today...again I am focusing on the "two-stage" reload. It amazing how fast one can go through the drills when one is not fumbling every 5th reload. For one reason or another, now that I am halfway between B and A, I feel less pressure, and more relaxed during practice. I'm going to make a deal with Flex...maybe tomorrow if he comes out to play, and once I make Master, I can change the text under my avatar.

I also had the opportunity to livefire with Chris today. I shot around 500 rounds, and mainly focused on fine accuracy. Headshots on three targets from various distances. It was just Area 5 of this year that I had no damn clue what it was to see an A zone headshot sight picture...I have come so far in only 6 months.

The in-law is coming to visit for the rest of the weekend...I think I'll spend the rest of my day cleaning brass, reloading, and working more on my reloads. It looks like I'll be able to shoot a match of sorts tomorrow with Keeny and Uncle Bill, so I'll turn in early.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

12/17/06

Got out of the house around 8am today to shoot a steel match in Zanesville with Chris and Bill. Flex met us up there and he very kindly lended me a compensated G34 barrel (I have this itch to play around with iron sighted Open for kicks...trust me, don't ask!)

Anyway, a big thank you to Flex :D I promise not to paint it to match the rest o' my gear.

The match was a real hoot. Nothing that I was expecting out of a steel match, there were about 7 stages, all of which had at least 20 steel targets. Several stages had some exceptionally difficult shots on well hidden steel. I had the opportunity to take some footage of several stages that I'll post and the end of this entry.

I feel that I shot the match relatively well, although I did incure several penalties (shot the red plate first...green last) (totally didn't see one steel hiding from me)...and I hesitated on the white USPSA target steel, that although we had to hit with two rounds, really kinda felt funny about it.

Got home around 6:30 and dryfired for an hour, focusing on my weak hand grip and angle. Flex mentioned that it looked like my gun was bouncing a bit more than it needed to, and offered me a few tips.

All in all, it was a productive weekend full of fun with guns :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

I'm going to get a camera this year, it would greatly help me break down my problems.

So, why were you at slide lock after the first 6 rounds?

The entire match had a very random feel to it....

On that stage, you were only allowed 6 rounds in the gun at start. If you had mikes on those first three targets (and a mike was anything that wasn't in the head, or a 4 inch circle drawn on the A zone) than too freaking bad. You then had to run to the mini-mart style counter and reload from a magazine placed on the shelf. If you notice, I began to push the door open with my hand on the last barricade, when in fact we had to use the rope.

I'm going to get a camera this year, it would greatly help me break down my problems.

So, why were you at slide lock after the first 6 rounds?

The entire match had a very random feel to it....

On that stage, you were only allowed 6 rounds in the gun at start.

Well I believe that right there makes it an Illegal stage.

Ahh yes Rule 8.1.4

Unless complying with a Division requirement (see Appendices),

a competitor must not be restricted on the number of rounds to be

loaded or reloaded in a handgun. Written stage briefings may

only stipulate when the firearm is to be loaded or when mandatory

reloads are required, when permitted under Rule 1.1.5.2.

12-18

Dryfired, now I'm getting ready for work. I would have liked to get another session in, but when I get home @ 2am, I'm not going to be in the mood.

I think I feel so crappy today because I started my diet. After looking at the video of myself, it's clear that I can afford to drop a few pounds. 170 sounds about right for my personal goal...and posting that here will help me be more accountable to myself.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

What's your diet plan. IMO, you shouldn't feel crappy when you start onto a diet...

I usually do low carb/no carb, but am working with shakes for the moment. I think I am mostly feeling crappy knowing that I have to work 4/2 every day this week :angry:

Who Benefits from Low-Carb Diets?

There is evidence that low-carb diets can effectively help overweight and obese people lose significant amounts of weight, as long as they can stick to the diet. Some studies have shown that low-carb diets more effectively reduced weight that conventional low-energy, calorie-restricted, low fat diets. However these same studies found that people were not able to comply with the necessary dietary restrictions in the long term. Compliance is one of the biggest factors in the success of any nutrition or exercise program. A program can only work as long as you can stick with it a for a long time, and in the best case scenario, this means permanently changing nutrition and behaviors. For active people and sports entusiasts, our athletic activities influence the ways we spend out leisure time, the foods we eat for fuel, the equipment we choose to spend our money on, and the kinds of relationships we make. Being physically active profoundly and positively impacts many seemingly unrelated aspects of our lifestyles, making and athletic lifestyle easier to stick with than conventional diet plans.

So pretty much, drop the "diet plan". Eat a little less, eat healthy and exercise. This means a healthy 55-20-25 % of carbs to protein to fat combination in your diet. You need carbs to run your body. Eat a little every few hours and you won't get really hungry and break your diet. It's all calories in to calories out.

Edited by Matt Cheely

Not to drift PB's thread too much, but come on, Matt... We all know the best diet is 3 squares of Big Macs and fries a day, plus a 12 pack of beer... :D

PB - just a thought - I agree w/ Matt that portion control and exercise are the most important bit (w/ exercise typically meaning a lot more for most of us). For IPSC, make sure you're building flexible leg strength, and overall endurance....

12/19/06

Got up early to sneak in some live fire at the range. I shot around 500 rounds on 3.5 inch paper plates. What I was focusing on was accuracy at 40-50-65 feet freestyle, and 25 foot strong/weak hand accuracy. Aside from the weak hand, which is getting better every day, I shot very well.

Dryfired for 70 minutes today as well. It went by smoothly...I imagine that I was grooved in from going to the range earlier in the morning. My B Class card came in the mail today...the more that I think about it, I have no desire to "hang around" in B class. Master is my goal, and I will continue to train as such. Sure...I run the risk of getting my ass handed to me by Limited GM's that are "playing" in Prod (looking in your direction Matt :P ) but that is another part of this sport.

I am in this game for the long haul...