Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting L-10 With An Ss Or Wide-body

MarkS_A18138

I have a question for the L10 guys!!!!!!! I am going to try getting a L10 slot to the nationals since my wife got hers and don't like watching after driving 33hr to shoot! I have spent the last year shooting SS only! I own a .40 SS and Very nice .40 Widebody. What would be you alls choice?

Unless your initials are T G and O shoot the higcap.

I guess the gap is closed with the SV magwell, but for my money I can load an S_I high cap WAY faster and more consistently than a skinny gun. You wanna try and hit an S&A or a Dawson Ice?

They also seem to shoot flatter and track better, at least for me. I mean I LOVE single stacks, they are classy and elegant, but I shoot a high cap better.

Edited by dirtypool40

Well, while I have both, I actually shoot my old school singlestack 1911 in .45 "better" than my Limited .40. Why? Smaller frame I suppose, I don't know.

That said, if you're not so good on the singlestack reloads, how about practicing them rather than defaulting to the hi-cap. The easier route doesn't make you better. If you can reload a singlestack, you can definitely reload a hi-cap.

And, for the record, it's not that difficult if you just do what you're supposed to do (i.e. actually look the mag into the pistol). I have a welded on Brown magwell on mine and there are more than a few scratches on it, but I hit 'em.

Train to improve weaknesses. By going around them, you still haven't fixed the problem.

Rich

Well, boys, I reckon this is it - single-stack shootin' ...toe to toe with the wide-bodies. Now look, boys, I ain't much of a hand at makin' speeches, but I got a pretty fair idea that something doggone important is goin' on back there. And I got a fair idea the kinda personal emotions that some of you fellas may be thinkin'. Heck, I reckon you wouldn't even be human bein's if you didn't have some pretty strong personal feelin's about the ol 1911. I want you to remember one thing, the folks back home is a-countin' on you and by golly, we ain't about to let 'em down. I tell you something else, if this thing turns out to be half as important as I figure it just might be, I'd say that you're all in line for some important promotions and personal citations when this thing's over with. That goes for ever' last one of you regardless of your race, color or your creed. Now let's get this thing on the hump - we got some shootin' to do.

I have spent the last year shooting SS only! I own a .40 SS and Very nice .40 Widebody. What would be you alls choice?

It comes down to which gun you shoot best (the difference between widebody or single stack makes no difference, especially if you've got alot of time doing reloads with a single stack...and it sounds like you do). So go with which ever gun you feel most confident in or have the most experience with. I shot L10 for YEARS with a single stack until switching over to Limited last year (and experiencing the widebody difference) and I can tell you that if you know what your doing, the size of the magwell means nothing.

I have spent the last year shooting SS only! I own a .40 SS and Very nice .40 Widebody. What would be you alls choice?

It comes down to which gun you shoot best (the difference between widebody or single stack makes no difference, especially if you've got alot of time doing reloads with a single stack...and it sounds like you do). So go with which ever gun you feel most confident in or have the most experience with. I shot L10 for YEARS with a single stack until switching over to Limited last year (and experiencing the widebody difference) and I can tell you that if you know what your doing, the size of the magwell means nothing.

+1. I agree 100%.

Shoot the wide body! I took a couple years and shot L10 with my SV. I particularly enjoyed the Texas State LTD match where I used 3 to 4 mag per stage. The hi-cap was easier to reload than my Colt Delta (now a .40) single stack. I quit shooting L10 when I got tired of cleaning mags every stage!!! I did feel a sense of urgency shooting L10 because I always had a reload to do but I seemed to be going faster... I noticed the 140 mags load faster than the 126 mags I have that fit flush. Overall I enjoyed shooting L10 with my SV hicaps and will do it again if Queen Hillary imposes another ban on us....

Mark,

FWIW, you shoot your SS well enough I'd be tempted to tell you to add a magwell on your fav and then just have at it. You are fast and smooth, and then you don't have to 're-learn' another gun. Big plus, too, wouldn't it feel good for you to whoop up on some of the widebodies with your SS gun? ;);)

-Mike

I shoot L-10 a lot and have been to nationals three times.

I shot L-10 twice, once with a SS and once with a wide body.

I can assure you that there are plenty of high round count stages.

You should start every stage with a mag in the gun and at least four on the belt.

You will get pleny of mag changes.

If the score matters to you then this is an important decision and there is a simple way to solve it.

Set up a standard drill.

Run it 10 times with each gun and keep track of the hit factors.

Assuming both guns run equally well, the gun you shot the best is the one you take to Nats.

I have a practice drill that requires 16 shots with three mandatory reloads.

I can run it about 1 1/2 seconds faster with my wide body than with my SS.

Take the guesswork and emotional attachments out of the equation and discover which gun is the fastest in your hands.

The results will speak for themselves.

You will know what to do.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Mark: I would shoot the widebody pistol if it is a STI or SV. The two piece frame seems to take out some of the shock impulse compaired to the steel single stack for me. I can reload each at about the same speed but pulling them out of mag holder is quicker for me with the double stack. The 140 double stack mags are easier to grab onto than the 126mm ones. Lastly it is kinda cool pulling out the old 1911 though. Thanks Eric

Set up a standard drill.

Run it 10 times with each gun and keep track of the hit factors.

Assuming both guns run equally well, the gun you shot the best is the one you take to Nats.

I have a practice drill that requires 16 shots with three mandatory reloads.

I can run it about 1 1/2 seconds faster with my wide body than with my SS.

Take the guesswork and emotional attachments out of the equation and discover which gun is the fastest in your hands.

The results will speak for themselves.

You will know what to do.

Tls

I am going to try this weekend. I have an awesome STI wide body!

Could you PM with your drill!

Thanks

If you've been shooting SS for the last year, and you feel comfortable with it, shoot that. Reloads should come at some time other than when you are supposed to be shooting, so the difference in reload speed doesn't much matter (it does come into play on standards, when every reload is on the clock, but I'd still say, practice, practice, practice).

I'd shoot whatever I was more comfortable with.

The only time I ever shot a widebody gun in L-10 I felt pretty stupid.

I opened up the S&A magwell/frame on my Kimber L-10 gun to greatly resemble the SS magwell in Brian's book. At least twice as big as the stock S&A.

I've never flubbed a reload with this setup and could consistently place in the top 5 overall in any local classifier requiring at least 1 reload, beating a double handful of widebody shooters in both Limited and Open divisions. I was C class at the time, but could beat most M class shooters thanks to the reloads. Take out the reloads and I was just a plain old C class shooter again...

While I never practiced speed loads before shooting USPSA, I guess 35 years of reloading a SS didn't go to waste.

I have a question for the L10 guys!!!!!!! I am going to try getting a L10 slot to the nationals since my wife got hers and don't like watching after driving 33hr to shoot! I have spent the last year shooting SS only! I own a .40 SS and Very nice .40 Widebody. What would be you alls choice?

Shoot whatever you shoot best. For me, that would be one of the 1911 guns I shoot in Single Stack. I shoot all of them, a Colt Delta Elite 10mm, A Colt Gold Cup .45 and a Kimber Stainless Gold Match II .40, better than I do any of the double stack guns I own or have owned. YMMV.

Lee

If you have a decent size magwell on the SS then I would say go with which ever gun you shoot the best. I shoot a SS 45 in L10 now but I am going to try some drills with a Para 14-45 to see if it helps me out of C class. When I played golf I was told to go with bigger grips for my arthritic fingers so I am going to see if it applies to shooting.

• 3 months later...

well guys I am going shoot my SS at the L10 nationals. I have played with the wide-body since the weekend after DTC. I am faster with the SS then my STI. I know it sounds dumb to have 2 limited guns and shoot my SS. I am still going to try placing in my class! Oh, I am also installing a new BIG mag well!

I am still going to play with both guns!

Time to get over it and start drilling those reloads on the fat gun, eh?? ;)

Nose dives out of those mags might be an ammo length thing - they might be too long, for instance. Or, you might have a ramp angle issue or something. Hard to say without having the gun handy, showing how it jams...