Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rra 2-stage Trigger Any Good?

tverho

Hi, I'm planning on installing a Rock River Arms two-stage trigger in my future 6.5 Grendel AR-15. Is it any good? Easy to install, dependable etc? What is the expected 1st - 2nd stage ratio (or weights)?

If it is no good what other choices do I have? I want a two stage trigger, my IPSC rifle has a JP in it but this Grendel will be for long range shooting and hunting and I much prefer a two stage for those shots in the cold, with gloves on etc.

Thanks!

Tommi Verho, Finland

Hi, I'm planning on installing a Rock River Arms two-stage trigger in my future 6.5 Grendel AR-15. Is it any good? Easy to install, dependable etc? What is the expected 1st - 2nd stage ratio (or weights)?

If it is no good what other choices do I have? I want a two stage trigger, my IPSC rifle has a JP in it but this Grendel will be for long range shooting and hunting and I much prefer a two stage for those shots in the cold, with gloves on etc.

Thanks!

Tommi Verho, Finland

Tommi,

The Rock River trigger is good. It's better when tuned though. You can get a tuned one at White Oak Armament, I believe. The Gieselle, available from Creedmoor Sports is supposed to be the hot setup for Highpower shooting (long range too). It's supposed to be faster locktime.

As a factory item, the RRA 2-stage is robust and not too bad, breaks very clean. However, the second stage is rather heavy, more like 5-6 #. I got mine to run at just a tad heavier than my JP single stage, just a bit over 3#. I don't think it would go any lighter without jeopardizing dependability unless I change out the spring, which would also lighten up first stage take up.

Edited by PacMan

Using a pull guage, mine is roughly 2.5 pounds for the first stage and another 2-2.5 pounds for the second stage; roughly 4.75 pounds total pull. The first stage trigger movement is about 0.25 inch and the second stage is a nice, crisp release. It really feels much better than a 5 pound single stage trigger.

I ordered it here: http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails.cf...torynumber=3952

The gunsmith replaces one pin to increase the reliability and does a quality check on the trigger assembly; that's worth $10 extra IMO. Here is a discussion link on the pin change: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&...25&t=295214

for the money, I think the RRA is about is good as it is going to get. For a factory part, it is probably the best 'factory' trigger (expect a JP). I have a RRA 2stage in one of my AR's; it has about 3000 rounds through it, and has never given me any problems.

highly recommeneded

Tommi,

The trigger will be pretty good as it comes. But, if you have someone local that works on M1A's the trigger is tuned the same way. The results are much better! It seems to be the same as an Armalite, which resides in my highpower service rifle. The trigger is far better when tuned. I also think it's far better than Jewel's AR trigger.

• 3 months later...

Hi folks, I fished this thread up in a search. I recently acquired an AR with a RRA 2 stage that has a second stage over 6 pounds. Breaks very crisp, but way too heavy for precision. I see some folks say they have "tuned" the trigger to get the weight down. What did you do?

Thanks.

Hi folks, I fished this thread up in a search. I recently acquired an AR with a RRA 2 stage that has a second stage over 6 pounds. Breaks very crisp, but way too heavy for precision. I see some folks say they have "tuned" the trigger to get the weight down. What did you do?

Thanks.

Lightening the trigger uses the same principles as tuning an M1/ M1A trigger. Also, if you try to get it lighter than about 4 1/4 pounds total weight, you will likely lose the second stage.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Thanks.

You send it to these guys.

White Oak Precision

I think they will redo it for under $40.

Drop in a JP Spring kit with a RRA 2 stage

reliable ignition w/ Wolf, Fed Am eagle, white box and XM193,

Better that droping $200 in Gunsmith free drop in ( After you get it off the grinder) trigger kit.

This is my opinion, I could be wrong.

• 3 years later...

Better that droping $200 in Gunsmith free drop in ( After you get it off the grinder) trigger kit.

I run a RRA 2 stage in all of my lowers and have been having problems with my NC22 upper.

Using the Nordic recommended blazer (or similar spec) .22lr it will not reliably reset my trigger.

I searched for RRA + two stage + JP springs and came to this thread.

My suggested remedy for this is to replace the hammer spring with a yellow JP light hammer spring.

My question was, if I do this will I still have reliable ignition with military primers when I use my centerfire upper?

Can anyone else confirm that they have 100% reliability with the JP yellow hammer spring and the RRA 2-stage?

I would suppose the hardest primers I have are in IMI and LC M193.

I like my RRA 2 stage trigger... I used to say I loved it, but then I won a Geiselle Super 3 Gun. Now, I love my S3G and like my RRA ;)

My RRA is smooth, reliable, and will be put into a 2nd lower...

My S3G is in my lower that I will use for all competitions.

These 2 triggers are completely different designs, so comparing them really isn't fair.

Overall, you should be very happy with the RRA.

I run a RRA 2 stage in all of my lowers and have been having problems with my NC22 upper.

Using the Nordic recommended blazer (or similar spec) .22lr it will not reliably reset my trigger.

I searched for RRA + two stage + JP springs and came to this thread.

My suggested remedy for this is to replace the hammer spring with a yellow JP light hammer spring.

My question was, if I do this will I still have reliable ignition with military primers when I use my centerfire upper?

Can anyone else confirm that they have 100% reliability with the JP yellow hammer spring and the RRA 2-stage?

I would suppose the hardest primers I have are in IMI and LC M193.

I answered my own question today.

Had success with the RRA 2 stage and the NC22 upper using the JP yellow hammer spring.

Had success running surplus center fire surplus ammo with the same lower.

• 11 months later...