Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Sucks!

HSMITH

I have reloaded about 3000 rounds in the last couple days, on a Dillon 550B, and I am damn near worn out. I have another 7 or 8 hundred to go, to cover August......

The good news is I will be shooting a LOT of this ammo in a class and using it to improve my skill level. The bad news is I still have to case gauge all of it.

I have been reloading since I was about 12, reloading on my own since I was 14. It used to be fun, working on super duper megaloads for each gun and powderpuffs too. I tore up some guns, learned a lot, loaded a lot, and had fun. Now reloading is just a chore, plain and simple. I need an RL1000/1050, two nights instead of a week would sure be nice.......

Now I just need to talk my inner cheapskate into spending the money where it needs to be spent and not buying any more guns until I have a big fancy ultraproductive press on the bench.

Anyone else dread reloading these days?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The long sessions made me hate reloading as well.

It might sound dumb, but if you hate reloading, do it every day. I have a 650 and really HATE to reload. I just make myself do only 100 rounds maximum, every day. I get 700 rounds a week in just 10 minutes a day this way and it doesn't get nearly as painful/annoying as the long sessions.

Adjust the daily amount of reloading to one 7th of your weekly amount of shooting. In the mean time, save your pennies for something blue with a casefeeder and powder check ;)

Anyone else dread reloading these days?

Yup. Even with the 550, I would just block out the time and do marathon 1500 round sessions just so it could be over and done with. You have no idea how many times I've watched my DVD collection over....and....over....and....over.

I cannot thank Brian enough for hooking me up. B)

I used to hate loading on my 550 ................ until I got my case-feeder. Now I can load 500 rounds in 1 hour, and it doesn't seem so bad. In 2 hours I can have 1000 rounds punched out easy. I normally spread it out over 2 days, so I load for only 1 hour a day, twice a week, and it's pretty much all I need.

And by the way ...... I've loaded 13,500 rounds since I got the case-feeder earlier this year. Not a single problem.

Might as well, get something that makes your life easier, cause reloading is something that you'll never be finished with. ;)

That's not too bad I generally reload for 10-20 minutes at a time = 200-300 rounds... That about all I can handle these days. although I loaded a full hour this weekend and got over 1K rounds done. It seems like forever though.

I love to shoot, but hate I have to reload.

I still enjoy reloading and do it often, but for short amounts of time. 2-3 times per week for about 30-40 minutes. what helps is to have your primer tubes loaded, brass cleaned, and quick change kits at the ready.so you actually spend time "reloading" and not getting ready to load.

+1 on the "do it every day" plan. I try to load at least 100 every day, and usually do

200-300. I dump them in a plastic tub. Shoot as-is for practice, case guage as needed

for match ammo.

I'm not looking forward to this weekend, I need to crank out 2-3000 rounds to last me for a while.

Now I can load 500 rounds in 1 hour...

Slowpoke :P I already load 5-600 rounds an hour on my 550 without a casefeeder. Tried out a 650 a few weeks ago and was going around 900-1000 rounds an hour. I need one of them!

I used to peak at about 400 rounds per hour on my 550. I can hit 600 with the 650 if I am up for it. But this year, I am shooting a Cz in production, so my reloader is either WallMart or the Gun Show. A couple of week ago I got 3000 rounds in about 0:45. (Traffic was light <_< )

I just loaded 1400 rounds on my 550 in a total of about 2.5 hours - did it over two days. I just put something interesting on the radio or something, and get at it. My press is in the garage - so I took advantage of a couple of cooler days to bang it out... I could've done more... but ran out of components :D

The only thing worse than reloading is reading the Blue Press and seeing those letters from folks ("who can't wait to get home and crank out some rounds on their press!!!!")

It makes me wonder if these folks really shoot anyway.

I actually don't mind loading on my 1050 as I get to see all of the practice I'll be able to do with it. Not being able to find the time to go out and practice (maybe once a month now) is what I really hate.

I consider reloading a necessary evil like breathing. If I didn't reload I couldn't shoot, see the correlation. I have also walked into a street to pick up a penny so I am pretty cheap. I spread my reloading into several steps, deprime on an RCBS Jr, reprime while watching TV with an RCBS hand primer, use the 500B to finish making a cartridge. I use a Redding to seat the bullet and a Lee FCD to crimp. The finished product drops into a SL 900 size Akro bin where it goes to an oversize 50 caliber ammo can. I do usually limit a session to 500 rounds since the press is mounted for standup use & boredom sets in quick.

I loaded on a 550 and hated it.

I loaded on a 650 and hated it.

I loaded on a 1050 and hated it.

I put a slot machine cover over the 1050 and still hated it.

With the 1050 the torture ends much sooner (with or without the slot machine cover).