Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ccf Raceframe

rstandley

Believe the hype! Who was it that said if you can back it up it’s not

bragging (hype). All the HYPE is true; improved trigger feel, reduced felt recoil…

Today I dropped by S&J Customs & had lunch with John; while I was there he showed me his latest creation. A CCF Framed Open Glock in 9mm Major.

This gun had the full S&J customs treatment, along with a sub 2lb. trigger that is as crisp as any open S_I gun out there! The owner of this gun was able to shoot 50 rounds into an inch & 1/2 group at 15 yards as fast as they were able to reload and pull the trigger. Shooting this gun with major 9 loads (170 PF) felt like powder puff 9mm loads. The added weight really helps in taming the felt recoil in such a way that I couldn’t see the dot move much at all if any. I know what my next purchase is going to be…

I just need to find a way to tell the BOSS that I need another gun! Maybe the fact that I won my class at this years GA State Match shooting a gun built by S&J Customs might help. :lol:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took some metal out of the back, but no real weight reduction. Also took away checkering & other metal under the SH fingertips & the glock-knuckle.

Started to bevel the back of the well, Monday/Tuesday i'll press-fit the Ice magwell so that it barely goes on the frame with a hammer. Cut an Allen wrench to hold the insert, held solidly in the insert but goes thru the frame without need of a sledgehammer.

post-354-1186181570.jpg post-354-1186181580.jpg

post-354-1186181589.jpg post-354-1186181602.jpg

post-354-1186181613.jpg post-354-1186181625.jpg

If you get a CCF, the 1st thing you want to do is roll a towel, fold the 2 ends over with space between them, and put the frame on the towel where the trigger pin can go in that gap. Drive out the trigger pin with a punch & hammer [plastic dead-blow hammer from home depot = $7] and then put it back in the bare frame.

Repeat above until it goes in & out without a ton of force. To disassemble the complete frame, take the top pin out first - leaves less tension on the slide stop.

Edited by eric nielsen

Let me first say I'm by no way trying to start a war or flame I'm just curious.

Now with that said, and if may have been covered earlier in the thread but I'm not going to fishing back, why buy the CCF? I mean its no longer a glock, its a CCF, its not longer the light "plastic" its steel, I just don't get it. I mean you can't shoot it in production anymore only limited or open. If your going to spend that kind of money why not a SA gun?

AGAIN I"M JUST CURIOUS NOT TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT :D

I am not a CCF Frame owner, nor am I considering the purchase just yet. I think most are buying the CCF frames to save from having/wanting to buy a S_I frame styled 2011 firearm. Most Glock shooters (those in Limited and L/10 have a lot of money tied up in their firearms, and most are probably capable of working the Glock style firearms over on their own.

If for nothing else, the CCF frame purchasers might be hoping to get the most out of their Glock styled firearms. It's similar to how the S_I guns probably came about (I don't know their specific history), a double stacked 1911 (not JMB designed) and yet, look how popular they are now. I am sure there are die-hard 1911 fanatics still cursing the design of the 2011. I remember back in the days when the only double stacks I saw were Caspian frames, maybe a Para here and there, but no S_I's!

In the end, I don't have to understand why each of them are making their purchases, but I am glad they are. They can be the ones to figure out how to make it all work! Let them do the R/D for the rest of us!

It's fun. It's R&D. It's figuring something out for the first time.

After Glock Inc gave me the G35 - free: random drawing - I have $750 total tied up in this gun. CCF frame, trigger job, sights, mags, everything.

Show me where I can buy an Edge or full-DC SV for 750 bucks, because this thing already shoots better than any Para or STI Eagle that I've tried.

With new SS slides that are on the way, plus some trigger-job knowledge that's all over this Forum,

you can build your own for under 900 pretty soon. Or buy a used Edge for 1350 if you're lucky, and get mags & make it the way you like it for 1600 or so. Both are perfectly good choices.

It's fun. It's R&D. It's figuring something out for the first time.

After Glock Inc gave me the G35 - free: random drawing - I have $750 total tied up in this gun. CCF frame, trigger job, sights, mags, everything.

Show me where I can buy an Edge or full-DC SV for 750 bucks, because this thing already shoots better than any Para or STI Eagle that I've tried.

With new SS slides that are on the way, plus some trigger-job knowledge that's all over this Forum,

you can build your own for under 900 pretty soon. Or buy a used Edge for 1350 if you're lucky, and get mags & make it the way you like it for 1600 or so. Both are perfectly good choices.

You can't exactly compare a free gun to one you have to buy in terms of price but I see both your points. If you understand the glock design that is one thing, and I just don't. If its more accurate, more reliable yeah that is great. There is just a local shooter than has more tied up in his CCF glock than he could have had a bedell for and I just don't see the point, to each his own I guess :cheers:

I'm still toying with the idea of one ---- and I wouldn't consider a 1911/2011 based gun, much like I've rejected the M&P so far. I've got too much time on the Glock grip angle, too many parts, too much knowledge about how the gun works, and mine run well --- I simply don't want to start learning a whole 'nother system.....

I talked with IDPA today. The frame is legal for ESP as long as you use a G34/35 length slide. Is not legal with a G17/22 slide. My concern is whether or not it will make weight with a G35 top end. 43 oz. without mag will not.

Eric are you certain about the weight? If so then a G34 top end might work. I have a certified scale that I will weigh the two top ends with.

What is the rationale behind that ruling?

You will find there are guys and gals who are purists in everything you do. Yes, there are Glock, 1911 purists and I'll even bet you have run across a 2011 purist also, those who think you "shouldn't change anything inside the gun yourself"! Well, most sport shooters, don't subscribe to this purist mentality. I do not send my firearms off for work, unless of course I can no longer get them to be 100% reliable. This has yet to happen on any of the formats I currently shoot/own.

I will say that I haven't jumped to the 2011 style pistol for several reasons. I don't want to pay over $70.00 for a magazine, that may or may not run properly, I don't want a gun that I will likely have to send off for more work. I do not want to have to buy all new gear everytime I get a new gun. But more importantly I have small hands and crazy small thumbs, so in my eyes there is no advantage for me to go 2011! I won't be able to grip the firearm correctly, or manipulate it quick enough to do me any good! And yes, I have shot several to try it out, I did like what I felt, but it isn't enough to justify the cost of buying the gun, and gear! Will I ever make Master or Grand Master shooting any type of pistol, personally I highly doubt it. I do not foresee putting that much time into competing to get to that level. Do I see myself one day wringing all I can out of my Glock 35...absolutely! If I do get above the "A Classification" I would consider switching to a new pistol design.

I am not one of the Glocksmiths, Glock Jockeys or whatever, I just prefer to shoot competitions with the firearm I currently own, if it is the underdog firearm, so be it. For years Glock shooters have been trying to prove it a viable firearm for the sport. Finally there are Glock shooters making it into the ranks! Adding the CCF frame does several things for Glock shooters. Added weight, more tinkering ideas, creation of new parts, but more importantly it's the R&D that goes into finding out where Glock went wrong in the design. We already know there is a tremendous amount of flex in the frame, causing trigger flex.

These guys that have rushed out to buy these frames are on the edge , as I see it. They want to be the first to figure the frame out, to be the first one to get it right. I think it's great!

Am I stuck with Glock for the rest of my life, absolutely not, I do plan to pick up a S&W M&P in 9mm to compete with someday soon. But Glock is where I started, and I will probably always own at least one Glock for the rest of my life! It's the style of pistol I know the most about. I have owned Glocks for the last 14 years, I trust them and know enough about them to do anything I need to do. They are no longer my favorite carry piece, but I still have a place in my gun safe for them!

I cannot wait to see what some of the Glock gunsmiths like Matt from CGR or John Nagel do with their CCF frames. If I see something I like, I may just buy one up, and send it off.

I just got back from the range after testing the CCF frame with a G24 slide. I have to agree with Eric on the faster and easier controlled splits, of course I was using a heavier slide, but after playing around with different recoil spring weights I'm almost tempted to shoot this guns at the National next month. I'm going to work on it today and install a magwell. Most likely Monday I will set this same frame up with a G17 Open slide and shoot some major 9mm loads. I'm impressed with the frame and whether you enjoy working on your Glock's or not this is something that is easy for the average guy (with extra money) to play around with and if you tinker with triggers you can have a very nice trigger fairly easy.

I just got back from the range after testing the CCF frame with a G24 slide. I have to agree with Eric on the faster and easier controlled splits, of course I was using a heavier slide, but after playing around with different recoil spring weights I'm almost tempted to shoot this guns at the National next month. I'm going to work on it today and install a magwell. Most likely Monday I will set this same frame up with a G17 Open slide and shoot some major 9mm loads. I'm impressed with the frame and whether you enjoy working on your Glock's or not this is something that is easy for the average guy (with extra money) to play around with and if you tinker with triggers you can have a very nice trigger fairly easy.

I'd like to see how your CCF looks like with a magwell. Pictures would be appreciated.

Does the frame help or change the trigger pull in any way?

Thank you.

I don't have experience with the new frames, but from what I have read, the trigger is much better with the CCF frames, because there is no flex (from the polymer frame). So in theory, you might be able to get that 1911 trigger feel much easier from the CCF frame.

On a side note, has CCF expressed an interest in making their frames lighter, so they will meet the requirements of the shooting sports, or are they leaving that up to the individual users?

The trigger is much better since it almost has a trigger over-travel built into the frame. The very back of the trigger bar where it makes the 90 degree bend stops against the frame. I do not want to talk about my trigger, but a very nice trigger can be gotten in the 2 lb. range and below in this frame from what's known on the web.

The magwell is installed with a very tight fit, if it moves around in the future I'll use some setscrews. I'm going to fill in all the void spots tonight and it will be ready to go. I know there are magwells being built for the frame, but I couldn't wait. I just wish there was a match around tomorrow and I'd give it a true test.

post-2364-1186255045.jpg

Good Lord, that thing looks awesome! I think you are going to have a winner on yoru hands with that piece!

The more I see of these frames, the more I want one too. But, I am lucky enough to have the will power to not jump on it just yet!

The trigger is much better since it almost has a trigger over-travel built into the frame. The very back of the trigger bar where it makes the 90 degree bend stops against the frame. I do not want to talk about my trigger, but a very nice trigger can be gotten in the 2 lb. range and below in this frame from what's known on the web.

The magwell is installed with a very tight fit, if it moves around in the future I'll use some setscrews. I'm going to fill in all the void spots tonight and it will be ready to go. I know there are magwells being built for the frame, but I couldn't wait. I just wish there was a match around tomorrow and I'd give it a true test.

Wow that is a beautiful gun.

Thank you for the picture and input on the trigger.

Very nice, It is killing me not to put mine togeater yet!!! I will after the match or on Monday.

Is anybody looking into finishes for the Stainless steel frames I would like to get mine done just to keep the rust under control.

Robert.

Is anybody looking into finishes for the Stainless steel frames I would like to get mine done just to keep the rust under control.

I use duracoat on a lot of my projects. When I build my Open gun using this frame I'm going to use duracoat on the frame.

Cherry Red frame and a red C-more, that ought to get a lot of attention!!!

Similar to this but a red CCF frame:

post-2364-1186258299.jpg

Edited by Charlie Vanek

I have 6 SV guns, 2 STIs, 2 Tanfoglio's and 4 Wilson SSs along with several S&W revolvers and for what it is worth I am considering the purchase of a Ccf Raceframe for a project gun. Will I compete with it? no. Then why do it, right? It is a gun that can be built by anybody with decent mechanical skills. You don't have to have a complete shop full of expensive equipment. If you screw up a part it is easy and cheap to replace. It is the perfect platform for the gun tinkerer, due to the low cost and availability of all the parts you need to put together a decent gun. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

the idea has even crossed my mind. Because you can have it set up similar angle to the 1911, and it just looks fun.

OK, I am NOT gonna read this whole thread, just glanced at page 7 tonight, it seems a metal frame for Glock slides has been developed. And, it is possible to have a 1911 angle grip?????

NOW you might be talking.

Could have a future for my kids!!!

There is just a local shooter than has more tied up in his CCF glock than he could have had a bedell for and I just don't see the point, to each his own I guess :cheers:

What in the hell did he do to that gun to have over $2500 into it?

Edited by boynty77

Let me first say I'm by no way trying to start a war or flame I'm just curious.

Now with that said, and if may have been covered earlier in the thread but I'm not going to fishing back, why buy the CCF? I mean its no longer a glock, its a CCF, its not longer the light "plastic" its steel, I just don't get it. I mean you can't shoot it in production anymore only limited or open. If your going to spend that kind of money why not a SA gun?

AGAIN I"M JUST CURIOUS NOT TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT :D

I don't know how many there are like me, but here's my deal:

I carry Glocks because they shoot really well for a defense gun, and they hold lots of rounds. I compete with Glocks because I carry Glocks, and I don't have to learn to shoot a completely different pistol, and then try to switch back. Just to prove I can shoot without a scope, I took the flashlight off the almost-stock G17 with 5 pound trigger after the plate match and shot almost the same as I did with the unlimited gun.

Will I be buying a CCF frame? I dunno. Locally, I'm doing pretty well with the Glock unlimited pistol as is, and I'm thinking about shooting the carry gun more.

Finally got around to putting mine together. It weighs 43.8 oz. with a G34 top end and mag. I will take some weight out of the grip insert rib to get legal. There is no way, short of drilling holes everywhere, that you can get it ESP legal with a G35 top end.