Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ccf Raceframe

rstandley

Re-he-he-he-heally? Would you find it to be prudent to obtain official documentation from the NROI to back this up (a la on the box isn't in the box), or am I just being overly OCD?

Since we don't have an approval process...well, a list...then you might get different responses at different matches.

Your match director in Ohio may read the rule book...know the gun hasn't been out for the required year (to the general public)...and not allow it (except for Open). ;)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your match director in Ohio may read the rule book...know the gun hasn't been out for the required year (to the general public)...and not allow it (except for Open). ;)

Can’t get anything past you guys :angry2: lol

Hey Pharaoh just paint it black :ph34r:

I don't think there is any basis for that.

The rule book says 500 produced and 1 year (I believe). If those requirements aren't meet, then they can't be in Limited/L-10. That would put them in Open.

Flex

Just got a stainless CCF Raceframe with serial number over 500. According to the President, he has sold over 1800 frames as of last week. Quality of frame is outstanding to say the least.

Put a G31 top end on it today just to see how it works. Shooting very hot .357 loads, it was very nice. I'm going with a Caspian Longslide and 9mm barrel as my final setup with options for 40 or 357SIG. Looks very promising. I'm planning to campaign this set up in IDPA, but will probably set up a Limited gun for USPSA at some time in the future (once the go ahead is given by HQ).

Best regards,

Jim

The rule book says 500 produced and 1 year (I believe). If those requirements aren't meet, then they can't be in Limited/L-10. That would put them in Open.

Flex

Just got a stainless CCF Raceframe with serial number over 500. According to the President, he has sold over 1800 frames as of last week. Quality of frame is outstanding to say the least.

The number produced is not in question.

Here is the rule:

16. Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available to the general public for one year and 500 produced. Prototypes are specifically not allowed.

These became available this past May, if I recall correctly...

Flex

The number produced is not in question.

Here is the rule:

16. Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available to the general public for one year and 500 produced. Prototypes are specifically not allowed.

These became available this past May, if I recall correctly...

Flex:

If you read my post, I clearly state my intent is to shoot the gun in Limited as soon as HQ gives the go ahead under whatever rules are in effect. I know it will be next year sometime, but getting a head start has to be a good thing. Once you shoot one of these, you will be very impressed. I'm shooting it again today and will post further impressions shortly.

Best regards,

Jim

John and the NROI board wasted no time answering my email. It's nice to know that they are so attentive to our questions.

My letter to them:

Dear NROI,

I just wanted to inquire as to the legality of using a CCF Glock frame in Limited and Limited 10. *Link to website*

I know that the rule is:

16. Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available

to the general public for one year and 500 produced. Prototypes are specifically

not allowed.

...and wanted to see if this threshold has been met.

Thank you for your time,

Micah Barcelo

A55030

Certified RO, (CRO Pending Approval)

Johns response:

Hi Micah,

According to an email from the manufacturer, they have met the 500 and they are legal in

Open, Limited and Limited 10 only.

Regards,

John Amidon

VP USPSA

Director NROI

Take this information for what it is...I have decided to build a Limited Glock around this setup during the off season, but will continue to rein terror upon my competition with my G34 for the rest of this season. ;)

Micah and anyone else,

For those of you that have shot the CCF all steel frame in the Glock setup, how much does the extra weight play a role and how does it feel compared to the 35? I've been thinking about it, but not sure. I wonder if Sevigny would look into one of these for Limited as well, "if" it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Micah and anyone else,

For those of you that have shot the CCF all steel frame in the Glock setup, how much does the extra weight play a role and how does it feel compared to the 35? I've been thinking about it, but not sure. I wonder if Sevigny would look into one of these for Limited as well, "if" it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Kevin,

I do not yet have one of these frames, but will look to order one here in the near future. Here are my thoughts on the frame:

Glocks are the only competition gun that I have known. For the past year now, I have spent well over 365 hours training with my Glock. I know the grip angle and POA of Glocks, and would like to apply this knowledge to other divisions, as opposed to a 1911 style gun. I have tons of spare parts, and know that whatever goes wrong, whatever breaks, I can fix it in less than a minute. I do not need to rely on the kindness of smiths to fit parts for me, and smile at the fact that my magazines and parts are infinitely less expensive than that of the typical Limited gun.

I hate magwells. Call me a freak, but I am so used to reloading without one, I find its addition to be cumbersome and awkward. By using a stainless CCF frame, you are adding a lot of weight to the gun...weight that, I would presume, has the capacity to reduce overall recoil.

OEM Glock® Bare Polymer

Frame-3.6 ounces

Frame and slide-22.04 ounces

CCF RaceFrame - Stainless

Frame-21 ounces

Frame and slide-39.38 ounces

Is this Right? No G-35 Stainless frames at Brownells

Just got this from the web page

SPECS: Stainless steel, natural finish, or hardcoat anodized aluminum with dark gray finish. Stainless weight 21 oz. (595g). Aluminum weight 7.3 oz (206g). Fits Glock 17, 17C, 17L, 22, 22C, 24, 34 & 35 pistols. Stainless frame only may be installed on Model 31, 31C & 37.

Is this Right? No G-35 Stainless frames at Brownells

Just got this from the web page

SPECS: Stainless steel, natural finish, or hardcoat anodized aluminum with dark gray finish. Stainless weight 21 oz. (595g). Aluminum weight 7.3 oz (206g). Fits Glock 17, 17C, 17L, 22, 22C, 24, 34 & 35 pistols. Stainless frame only may be installed on Model 31, 31C & 37.

I suspect that the Brownell's language should have been-

Only the stainless frame should be installed on Model 31, 31C & 37.

The 17, 22, 34 & 35 frames are identical. The caliber is changed by the ejector and upper.

I understand why they may not recommend the aluminum with a .357 sig, but I don't understand Model 37 unless there is some other difference.

The CCF web site clarifies this point.

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/options.php

Also, the price is going up 7/30 to the Brownell's price. If you want to save some real money, buy one through the site soon.

Note that the frame does NOT have finger grooves, for better or worse.

Edited by Glock3422

Since I may be the only one with one of these frames posting in this topic, here is a little feedback from the range.

I have the stainless steel frame and installed the trigger group and top end from my Glock 31 (.357SIG) while I am waiting on a Caspian longslide frame to arrive.

Shooting 125g factory defensive loads, the pistol is very manageable and pleasant to shoot. Accuracy was as good or better than the stock pistol.

I put my G17 top end on the gun and shot just under 200 rounds of 147g MasterBlasters bullets (140 pf). It shoots like a .25 caliber with hardly any muzzle flip. I was shooting a stock spring setup with a buffer as recommended by CCF. Second shots of controlled pairs were tight to first shots. I set up and shot the IDPA Classifier and shot a solid score (88 seconds) just being smooth and not pushing the speed at all. Shot 8 points down. I am impressed to say the least. The gun is way heavier than the polymer frame and I thought I delivered some shots a little lower than normal. A little dry fire will eliminate this.

Magazines will absolutely drop free as CCF has taken the hour glass out of the mag opening. Magazine changes from slide lock were solid and slick. RWR and TRL were easy as well.

In terms of reliability, not a single feed problem in just under 200 rounds.

The grip needs Tru-Grip or skateboard tape as the side panels are not checkered. The front strap is checkered and you can definitely feel the bite (I like it).

As soon as CCF has aluminum frames, I am going to get one so I can use a 4 inch top end in IDPA ESP. When and if CCF comes out with a slide, barrel, and trigger group, might this gun be a USPSA Production candidate?

So much for the first day. I cannot wait to get the longslide installed.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for the report Jim. Please tell us where the CCF buffer goes - I saw that in Brownells & wondered if that's a solid round pad that goes behind the back of the guide rod??

As Micah said, the difference in weight will make a big difference. For a shooter getting the steel frame, it's 18oz, which is a totally different gun altogether. As someone who recently changed from a Glock open gun to an STI that is 13oz heavier, I can tell you that is a huge deal.

You will see muzzle flip with the CCF, maybe even a comparable amount of flip, but the amount the entire gun wants to jump up & above your line-of-sight, that's going to drop to a small fraction of how the original Glock behaved. If the only gun you've shot Major loads thru is a Glock, the work-load needed to shoot the heavy gun is going to surprise you, the stability that platform gives you in a long course of fire is going to sneak up on you. After a few stages in a match [assuming you are sighted in & reliable] you're going to be wearing a big smile.

I'm hoping it works out well, that the parts play nice with Glock top-ends, and USPSA approves it for Ltd. School & a part-time job will force me to wait/save a long LONG time to move up to something like a Benny Hill 6" blaster. 350 bucks to add 18oz to my 'free' G35 would be nice.

I don't even worry about a mag well. Before he started S&J Custom, Johnnie was putting Ice-for-STI onto his Glocks; i'm sure someone will figure out a solution.

Edited by eric nielsen

Thanks for the report Jim. Please tell us where the CCF buffer goes - I saw that in Brownells & wondered if that's a solid round pad that goes behind the back of the guide rod??

As Micah said, the difference in weight will make a big difference. For a shooter getting the steel frame, it's 18oz, which is a totally different gun altogether. As someone who recently changed from a Glock open gun to an STI that is 13oz heavier, I can tell you that is a huge deal.

You will see muzzle flip with the CCF, maybe even a comparable amount of flip, but the amount the entire gun wants to jump up & above your line-of-sight, that's going to drop to a small fraction of how the original Glock behaved. If the only gun you've shot Major loads thru is a Glock, the work-load needed to shoot the heavy gun is going to surprise you, the stability that platform gives you in a long course of fire is going to sneak up on you. After a few stages in a match [assuming you are sighted in & reliable] you're going to be wearing a big smile.

I'm hoping it works out well, that the parts play nice with Glock top-ends, and USPSA approves it for Ltd. School & a part-time job will force me to wait/save a long LONG time to move up to something like a Benny Hill 6" blaster. 350 bucks to add 18oz to my 'free' G35 would be nice.

I don't even worry about a mag well. Before he started S&J Custom, Johnnie was putting Ice-for-STI onto his Glocks; i'm sure someone will figure out a solution.

Eric

Appreciate the comments. I think the stability of the gun is awesome. As I get more used to it, it can only get better.

The Buffer Technologies buff goes in the front end of the slide, ie, barrel end. I will get a photo and post here tomorrow.

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Best regards,

Jim

Ok, excuse the dumb question but, do you use the factory Glock mag release or does it come with it's own mag release? If it comes with it's own, is it plastic or metal?

Thanks,

Factory. All of the pics that I have seen show the OEM release, although I would venture to say that most aftermarkets would be fine too.

Ok, excuse the dumb question but, do you use the factory Glock mag release or does it come with it's own mag release? If it comes with it's own, is it plastic or metal?

Thanks,

Factory. All of the pics that I have seen show the OEM release, although I would venture to say that most aftermarkets would be fine too.

That's what I thought. A guy on GlockTalk has one for sale and the photo appears to be factory. No, I'm not buying it, just wondering.

Thanks Micah.

Just got confirmation from NROI today that the frames are already legal. I was a little concerned there would be a Craig-Phantom-40-frame episode [legal, and then not legal] but apparently that is not an issue this time:

subject: Re: ccf raceframe

Hi Eric,

Yes, they are legal in Open, Limited and Limited 10 divisions.

Regards,

John Amidon

VP USPSA

Director NROI

S&J Custom told me they are working on adapting their big aluminum magwell to fit the CCF - will likely be attached with adhesives which is fine with me.

S&J Custom told me they are working on adapting their big aluminum magwell to fit the CCF - will likely be attached with adhesives which is fine with me.

S&J should look into producing a combination backstrap/magwell combo (ala S&A). The thought of a glued on version brings up a few negatives in my mind........... :blink:

I've also heard that CCF will sell their own magwell soon, guessing it will be fastened on with a new backstrap, not the soft one they use now.

Unless the magwell is really nice, I'll probably have the frame machined back to Glock dimensions & put on a SJC or a Dawson Ice with Shoe Goo. Works well enough to hold a compensator on the barrel of an Open gun...

I will definitely cover most of the frame with grip tape, just to get away from the black/white effect that makes it look like the ass-end fell off the gun.