Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Women We Love

ErikW

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julia Ormond in Smilla's Sense of Snow.  Yow!  She looks way better with a few extra pounds instead of the skin and bones look she usually goes with.

Call me nuts, but Barbara Bel Geddes was absolutely terrific back in the 50's.  Watch Vertigo and tell me that you wouldn't want to take her home to meet the folks at the drop of a hat.  Cute as a button AND smart.

Among classic actresses, the award for Total Hottie has to go to Bette Davis. Now, Bette was such a good actress, with such real presence and talent, she was able to keep her career going into old age, well after someone who was "just a pretty face" would have been out of work. So, when we think of Bette Davis, we tend to think of this old woman. But watch Dark Victory (1939); Bette was in her early 20s when she made that movie. Va-va-voom! Look at that face, those eyes, that bod!

Another actress who had a career long after she wasn't just a sweet young thing was Barbara Stanwyck. I remember as a kid watching her on the TV show, The Big Valley. She had to be in at least her late 50s at the time. My mother used to tell me, "When she was a young woman, Barbara Stanwyck was one of the most beautiful women on Earth." My reply: "She still looks pretty good to me!" Watch Remember the Night (1940) where Barbara co-starred with Fred MacMurray. You'll thank me after you have; it's a wonderful movie. More to the point, Barbara Stanwyck as a young woman had the most beautiful, mobile, expressive features I've ever seen on a human being.

Quote: from benos on 6:50 pm on Dec. 27, 2002

Now I know I'm thread driftin' a bit, but does anyone like Holly Hunter?

be

You betcha!  What the heck ever happened to her?  I haven't seen her in anything for way too long.

I think Hollywood churned out better hotties in the 40s - 60s.  They have more style:

Marilyn

Liz Taylor

maureen o'hara

honor blackman (pussy galore!)

lauren bacall

did I mention marilyn

As for modern hotties, I double dog dare anyone to find a better scene than Salma Hayek's almost academy awarding winning role as Satanico Pandemonium in From Dusk till Dawn

kellyn: Meg Tilly's and Gina Gershon's mattress scene in Bound.

Duane and David: Thank you for linking and not embedding pictures. That's some serious cheesecake.

EricW: Julia Ormond, schwing! Great book, OK movie.

benos, Nik: agreed on Holly Hunter. Bonuses: her accent, and she's short.

How about Lena Olin, circa Unbearable Lightness. "Take off your clothes!" I don't think she looked as good in Romeo is Bleeding.

Thanks Duane for the mention of Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck. Another actress with smouldering beauty from that era was Gene Tierney, especially in the Razor's Edge(1946), Dragonwyck, Laura and The Egyptian(1954) which also starred another favorite of mine, Jean Simmons.

If you are bringing  silver screen babes into the mix then my pick would be Ava Gardner.I like the ones who look like they have a wild side,The kind that would drink you under the table then have their way with you.The ones that come to mind(my fantasies)are Lori Petty,Yancy Butler and Faruza Balk.

That's a big "Hell, yeah!" on Ava Gardner. Watch One Touch of Venus - has there ever been a more perfectly cast role, or a more beautiful woman?

As for Fairuza Balk, I'm been a fan ever since I saw her in The Craft. Remember in that movie we had the four witches: Rachel True, who's absolutely gorgeous. Neve Campbel, no more need be said. Robin Tunney played the good girl, the one we're supposed to like. But I found her character boring, because, let's face it, Robin Tunney can't act. And then we had Fairuza Balk playing the little punked-out bitch. All physically attractive women. I don't know what it says about my personality, but guess which one of the four just got ALL my attention? That's right, the little punked-out bitch.

Julie Christie as Lara in Dr Zhivago always reminded me of my first girl-friend. We meet up again after 20 years and a divorce each (from other people) and she is now my wife. So she is my best contender for "women we love".