Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon or Mark 7???

17 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

Off by one.  OK

That one is important.  With just five stations, if you want a bullet feeder, you must choose between having a powder check/cop die, with combined seating & crimping, or giving up the powder check/cop, to keep seating & crimping at separate stations. 

The 650, 750, and the Hornady Lock-n-Load AP, all limit the user that way.  If you want to get more than 5 stations, and avoid the necessary compromise, you're mostly looking at much more expensive options, or the Lee Six Pack, which while less expensive is not in the same league as the 650, 750, or LnL AP.

The OP is looking for info, and should get the correct info in response.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None, well a few in the beginning.  All in my wife’s gun!

with automation there was no way I wasn’t going to have a power check.  And once during a run it went off as somehow it didn’t drop powder, it’s also caught a squished 22 case once as well 

9 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

The powder check was one of the reasons I decided to drop $$ on an Evo.

While the Primer Orientation Sensor was my biggest draw for sensors and automation, I too looked forward to the powder check sensor which would eliminate the visual guesswork of a camera/display setup on the RL1100.

However, later on I found out the M7 digital powder check, like others, allowed a +/- 2.0g variance.  Not what I want using fast VV powders for 9mm!  But there is a solution, by converting to the Keyence laser system similar to the ones sold here:

https://rockcanyonmunition.com/shop/ols/products/rcm-laser-powder-check-pro

While a bit on the expensive side, my "piece of mind" has me eventually going that direction as I feel the digital variance would be in the range I need:  +/- 0.02%!  And there's versions for stand alone, Dillon, and Mark 7.

💡

I just do the old eyeball powder-check and have been for half a million plus rounds.  Unless the bellcrank cube falls off, the Dillon measures have been reliable.  Priming problems are usually very obvious in the finished rounds, although annoying.

Anytime I get chrono’d the spread is very little.  I just use the powder check for no powder or too much.  I’ve seen the laser die and it might help with the mess I get from loading supercomp but the payback isn’t even close.

I still never set up my lighting system I bought in 2020.  It’s still in the box.

Edited by MikeyScuba

33 minutes ago, shred said:

I just do the old eyeball powder-check and have been for half a million plus rounds.  Unless the bellcrank cube falls off, the Dillon measures have been reliable.  Priming problems are usually very obvious in the finished rounds, although annoying.

Same here!  Relied on the eyes for MANY years without issue.

With the Apex 10 before the latest primer system upgrade, and especially with automation, a primer inserted sideways or not inserted at all, usually required stopping to disassemble the top end of the primer delivery; or at worse removing/sliding up the shell plate!  Very time consuming/aggravating!

My Dillon measures have ALWAYS been super reliable with EXCELLENT drop consistency using 9mm/ VV powders.  So after getting the Apex 10, I decided to keep life simple and stick with what works vs learning a new powder delivery system!

;)

Alternate PM.png

On 8/28/2024 at 8:20 PM, Bjordenshoots said:

Looking to start reloading and have heard pros and cons from both Dillon and mark 7. Not sure which to go with. Looking for any help or advise. Thanks 🙏🏼 

Both are good. The idea of a powder check is to give the reloader a sense of safety. After a lot of reloading (100s of Ks) I have found I never needed it. Others want it, your choice.

I use Dillon because it works, is a well-established brand and there are a ton of aftermarket parts and add-ons available. 

Mark 7 makes great products and their service is good, so I would not be worried about purchasing their presses. 

If you want more stations than the 1100 get a Mark 7 press. It's really that simple of a choice, because pricing isn't that much different.

Should you choose Dillon and have the funds go right to the 1100. However, the 750 is a great press also, but really doesn't automate well (yes Mark 7 has an automation for it).

I know a couple of people who have the Frankford press and like it. I shy away from it for three reasons, support, no aftermarket parts and I don't like the length of the handle pull. 

I think many of the arguments here are more about personal preference than the ability for either press to produce quality reloads.

If you automate, the Mark 7 Swage Sense is in my opinion an essential sensor available for both Dillon and Mark 7 presses. If a ringer or primed pocket makes it to the primer station it causes trouble.

Edited by HesedTech

For 9mm I use the bullet feeder on an RL1100 and do not use the powder check.

For 223 I de-prime size and swage all of the cases on the 1100.  After trimming I load them on the 650, with a powder check.

I appreciate the powder check on the bottleneck cases where the funnel is small and the charge is large, but have been trusting gravity on 9mm.

2 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I know a couple of people who have the Frankford press and like it. I shy away from it for three reasons, support, no aftermarket parts and I don't like the length of the handle pull. 

I do enjoy the ability to easily tweak the length of the RL1100 handle, a friend milled some additional flats to give me some shorter options to experiment with.

On 8/29/2024 at 8:12 PM, ysrracer said:

I'm thinking of learning to fly. Should I start on a 747 or an F14 Tomcat?

F14 for sure.  Smaller so takes up less space in the hangar.

On 8/29/2024 at 4:13 PM, shred said:

If you've never reloaded before, an 1100 or Mark 7 is going to be pretty daunting.  You might want to start with a simpler press and learn the basics there, then sell it on (or keep it around-- many here have more than one).

20 hours ago, shred said:

If you're a bit mechanically-inclined, starting with a progressive press isn't that big a deal, but if you aren't....

On 8/30/2024 at 6:22 AM, zzt said:

I don't buy the too much to handle bit.  Every single reloading press I have owned has had its own idiosyncrasies.   You learn to deal with them.  I would advise NOT going automated until you thoroughly understand the workings of your press.  Load 10k manually.  Then you'll know it inside and out.

I learned on a 1050 but I had a mentor ( it was his press ) so that helped a ton.

That being said, I am a big fan of the 550.  I have 2 currently in addition to a 1100 and 1050. They are so nice to have when you want to load something without switching over the press.

Get a 550. Learn to load. Buy an 1100.

21 hours ago, shred said:

If you're a bit mechanically-inclined, starting with a progressive press isn't that big a deal, but if you aren't....

Missed this before. 

Thankfully I was given this advice, early on. 

I was leaning toward starting on a single stage, or turret, because many people were claiming I needed to do that first, to.learn how to load.  A couple shooters at a local club heard the advice i was being given, and explained that I could start with a five station progressive, and skip the SS or turret.  After getting my press set up, I ran one case through at a time, for about a dozen rounds, to get used to everything.  Then I just started running it full up.

I haven't gotten to the point I'm ready to automate, but I'm sure glad I started with a system that spits out a finished round with each handle pull, as opposed to pulling the handle multiple times per round.

I for one was always curious as to why a 550 was recommended for newbies.  I would rather have a squib in a 650 than a double charge on a 550.

Funny I find the swage sense on the mark7 to be utterly useless.  Not that it doesn’t work but I process all my brass on an automated 650.  Never had it ever go off.

24 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

When you learned to ride a bicycle, did you start on a 21 speed carbon fiber framed mountain bike? 

If not, why not?

When I learned to ride that didn’t exist! 😅
Same as progressive presses. They didn’t exist or were excessively expensive when many of us started reloading. Now their still expensive but a lot more abundant. 

Edited by Farmer

2 hours ago, ysrracer said:

But you bring up a good point. Do they let day one med students do brain surgery on live patients?

Lots of analogies that don't have too much to do with reloading. We are talking about reloading, not brain surgery -- which this certainly is not.

I picked up an XL750 as my first press, and wish I went with an 1100. This stuff really isn't that complicated. Loading one round at a time in your new progressive press for a dozen or so rounds is solid advice for a new reloader. 👍

747, F14 really dumb analogies and not applicable to reloading.  If you want to learn reloading then buy a single stage kit like a Lee Challenger.  I still have mine and use it for rifle rounds occasionally. 

Dillon 550, 750 and 1100 all work fine for the new reloader and there is more than enough videos and help out there. 

I won’t deny the process isn’t just throwing brass, primers, powder and bullets into the machine and finished quality ammo comes out.  There’s a learning curve and I know more than one person who’s first press was a 750.

I also know one person who’s first press was a Frankford X. 

This isn’t brain surgery, it’s red neck rocket science. 

7 hours ago, ysrracer said:

They sell thousands of 1100s. Are you sure the primer issue isn't you?

Yes I’m sure, several calls to Dillon didn’t help. If you are capable, read through the Dillon reloading section on this forum and you’ll see I’m not the only person that’s had this issue. The fact that not everyone worships Dillon must really leave you butthurt.

30 minutes ago, AKJD said:

Yes I’m sure, several calls to Dillon didn’t help. If you are capable, read through the Dillon reloading section on this forum and you’ll see I’m not the only person that’s had this issue. The fact that not everyone worships Dillon must really leave you butthurt.

I'd keep beating on Dillon until you get this figured out.

There is no reason your primer system should be giving this much trouble.

3 minutes ago, ddc said:

I'd keep beating on Dillon until you get this figured out.

There is no reason your primer system should be giving this much trouble.

I bought the FW Arms prime time, now it runs without a problem. 

We haven't gotten this childish in a long time. Closed...

Edit: I did some house cleaning and reopened the thread. The OP asked for opinions on press types. If you have an opinion on this, by all means jump in. Now, if you feel that some folks do not agree with your opinion, just let it go. Don't argue (here 😉 ).

• ChuckS locked this topic
  • ChuckS unlocked this topic
On 8/31/2024 at 12:43 PM, HesedTech said:

Both are good. The idea of a powder check is to give the reloader a sense of safety. After a lot of reloading (100s of Ks) I have found I never needed it. Others want it, your choice.

I use Dillon because it works, is a well-established brand and there are a ton of aftermarket parts and add-ons available. 

Mark 7 makes great products and their service is good, so I would not be worried about purchasing their presses. 

If you want more stations than the 1100 get a Mark 7 press. It's really that simple of a choice, because pricing isn't that much different.

Should you choose Dillon and have the funds go right to the 1100. However, the 750 is a great press also, but really doesn't automate well (yes Mark 7 has an automation for it).

I think many of the arguments here are more about personal preference than the ability for either press to produce quality reloads.

If you automate, the Mark 7 Swage Sense is in my opinion an essential sensor available for both Dillon and Mark 7 presses. If a ringer or primed pocket makes it to the primer station it causes trouble.

Thanks!  The only thing I’ve heard negative about mark 7. Is issues using range brass. But they said it wasn’t a big deal but 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

OP you may want to grab a rcbs rockchucker or similar single stage press. It will help you learn the basics and will always be valuable. I have an 1100 on a M7  autodrive but go back to a dillon 550 for large rifle stuff and use my rockchucker for all bullet pulling.

That being said getting a 550 or a 750 is a bigger investment and may not be worth it to you to have around once the 1100 comes. But if your plans include many calibers then one of these machines is a more economic way to go.

That being said the mark 7 offers 10 stations which allows seperate deprime/resize and powder check with individual seat and crimp dies which are both awesome.  Id pay the $150 but the press came out a couple months after i got the 1100. but the 1100 is still great

I used to use an automated 1050. I switched to an automated apex 10 back when they came out. 

I can run the apex slightly faster and it has a powder check. Really though, once you learn the presses, there isn’t a ton of difference in quantity and quality of ammo.