Eidoss

The Future Of The Limited Optics Division in USPSA  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Limited Optics After The Provisional Period

• Retention as a Separate Division
    • Discontinuation of the Division
    • Merger with Carry Optics

4 hours ago, Rich406 said:

This thread is funny. Everyone wants change so long as it doesn’t affect them personally. 

Or, as long as it affects them in a way they want to be affected. 

I've come to the conclusion that I don’t really care anymore because I’m in it for fun more than anything else. I run what I brung and choose the appropriate Division.  Back when I was shooting iron sights in Production it mattered to me. Now, with an optic, not so much. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

All I know is I am just waiting for all of the 2011s to be at the top of the leader boards at various matches in LO.

Wait.....   That didn't happen???

Weird. 

In 2 or 3 years we'll see where LO is. It's still provisional at this point. It took CO several years to ramp up.

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

Or, as long as it affects them in a way they want to be affected. 

I've come to the conclusion that I don’t really care anymore because I’m in it for fun more than anything else. I run what I brung and choose the appropriate Division.  Back when I was shooting iron sights in Production it mattered to me. Now, with an optic, not so much. 

yeh, If I shoot USPSA again, it will most likely be with an Springfield XDM, with a mag funnel, extended release, and fully loaded magazines of factory 9mm. Most likely with iron sights.. hummm  LImited I am thinking ? Maybe open if I decide to play with a dot again..  Id shoot it if I could do it in half a day including drive, nothing near me though,, however probably move somewhere in next year or so.

Based on local participation alone in California and Nevada, I believe the two will be merged, but slated rule wise towards LO so the Staccato still has a home in USPSA.  

LO and CO are definitely not going anywhere, nor will they be merged IMO.

Reason: LO and CO are now the 2 largest divisions separately beating OPEN.

LO is custom many thousands of bucks guns with fancy s#!t etc, as well as near stock production guns with minor non CO compliant mods.

CO is close to Production Optics IPSC global division, so WILL NOT CHANGE because of that. USPSA must under its rules foster international competition. So having divisions that don't match global rules is a fail on that front.

They are just as different as Limited and Production. The logic of merging LO and CO is the same as merging Limited and Production. IE Retard Logic. (~70% of Limited shooters at club level shoot minor!)

Open will remain due to Comps and Major PF. Plus of course.. International IPSC competitions.

My 2c :)

Then now's a great time to change Limited to mirror IPSC Standard-- 170pf .40 for Major, fits the IPSC box.

Wait, what?  Nobody cares about IPSC in the US?  :D

12 hours ago, ringram said:

CO is close to Production Optics IPSC global division

CO and IPSC Production Optics are radically different, I suggest you take a moment to compare the rule-books.

5 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Do any of our divisions match IPSC rules? Maybe Revolver.

Open is pretty close.  Drop 1.25mm off the mags and 5 off the Major PF and good to go.

Limited would need to fit in a box with a magazine, so that rules out 140mm magazines (120mm ?) and extra large magwells, and I think holster/mags have to be behind the hip.

The biggest difference are in Prod/ProdOptics.

The box and mags for Limited alone make most limited rigs illegal. At least until you spend a few hundred bucks on mags. @BritinUSA 126mm should do it, similar to the IDPA box. Most magwells are way to big so you'll drop another 60-100 bucks on that. A lot of the magwells we use that help fix the angle of the mag so it doesn't get stuck in the steel grips don't work with 126mm mags either. Thumb rests would mostly be out. TBH their version sounds better to me. 

Open you're just loosing your big stick, or buying one or two new mags. Not bad.

Single stack, doesn't have a weight limit for them, and I think you might need a smaller magwell depending what you're using. Don't they get fancy race holsters too? If that's your thing. 

Do they have 8 shot revolvers now too? That I'm not sure about. 

But to become inline with IPSC pretty much everyone needs some new gear. Economic stimulation?? Sorta like cash for clunkers. We'll all sell our old illegal stuff and a loss and buy new stuff. 

5 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Single stack, doesn't have a weight limit for them, and I think you might need a smaller magwell depending what you're using. Don't they get fancy race holsters too? If that's your thing. 

Do they have 8 shot revolvers now too? That I'm not sure about. 

Some picks from IPSC Classic rules:

15. A handgun in its ready condition (see Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225 mm x 150 mm x 45 mm ...
17. Handguns must be based on and visibly resemble the profile and contours of the classic 1911-genre design. This means a single-stack, one piece metal frame, slide with stirrup cuts, and a dust cover (with or without an accessory rail) which has a maximum length of 75 mm when measured from the leading edge of the dust cover to the rear of the slide stop pin.
17.1 Magazine wells cannot exceed a maximum outside width of 35 mm. ...

No rule against bull barrels. Cuts on slide cannot go all the way through. No holster style rules.

For Revolver. 8 shot revolvers count as Minor (as long as you make Minor). Those of us who want to play with 6-guns can be scored Major (170 PF).

Edited by perttime

Yawn.

The divisions are close enough that those that care can comply with little to no effort. (basically by shooting gear that complies with both rule-sets)

Those who don't care find reasons to imagine huge irreconcilable differences that are impossible to surmount.

😀

12 hours ago, ringram said:

Yawn.

The divisions are close enough that those that care can comply with little to no effort. (basically by shooting gear that complies with both rule-sets)

Those who don't care find reasons to imagine huge irreconcilable differences that are impossible to surmount.

😀

👍

14 hours ago, ringram said:

Yawn.

😀

Nothing is impossible but it's silly to pretend they aren't already vary different. 

But to become inline with IPSC pretty much everyone needs some new gear. Economic stimulation?? Sorta like cash for clunkers. We'll all sell our old illegal stuff and a loss and buy new stuff. 

Kind of like the whole LO ordeal. Hey I got an idea, lets make a new division for the members. Low and behold most everyone went out and spent $2,000-$3,000 minimum on new guns and optics and didn't blink an eye about it, but would whine because that might have to spend $200-$300 for a few accessory changes.