• Retention as a Separate Division
    • Discontinuation of the Division
    • Merger with Carry Optics

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, shred said:

What's wrong with having a few large divisions instead of a zillion small ones?

It remains to be seen but CO and LO separately would probably be two of the largest divisions. I don't see it as better to have one division at 60%+ as opposed to maybe 35/25%. Just a guess at this point.

3 minutes ago, shred said:

Seems like you'd have better competition in one large versus two split divisions.

If they were like SS, Revolver, Limited 10, and lately Limited and Production. Is the level of competition meaningless in Open and Limited now because CO is the biggest?

• 3 weeks later...

Just merge it and allow 2011s in CO. 

Right now locally nobody good switched to LO from CO. And CO masters and A-class sandbaggers are still kicking everyone’s ass. 

also if you look at classifier data from my other post — you’ll see that there’s virtually no difference. 

Edited by CutePibble

• 3 months later...

There are already manufacturers making guns specific to this division being accepted. Not sure my the USPSA BOD voted to extend the provisional out to Jan 2025 though. The USPSA March 20th meeting minutes just say they approved the motion to extend it, but not why! I want to know their reason for extending.

3 hours ago, Spyknar said:

There are already manufacturers making guns specific to this division being accepted. Not sure my the USPSA BOD voted to extend the provisional out to Jan 2025 though. The USPSA March 20th meeting minutes just say they approved the motion to extend it, but not why! I want to know their reason for extending.

The only reason I can think of is combining LO and CO.   

I ain't saying that is what they should do, but it is the only thing that I think they could really be considering 

5 hours ago, RJH said:

I ain't saying that is what they should do, but it is the only thing that I think they could really be considering 

Actually I would not be surprised if they reduce the magazines capacity to 15 rds in CO. This would make it closer to IPSC  Production optics while further separating CO from LO. Makes sense actually. 

35 minutes ago, cheby said:

Actually I would not be surprised if they reduce the magazines capacity to 15 rds in CO. This would make it closer to IPSC  Production optics while further separating CO from LO. Makes sense actually. 

But that would have nothing to do with the provisional status of LO. That would have to do with changing the rules of CO which is something else entirely

17 hours ago, Spyknar said:

IPSC is looking to create an LO division, and USPSA is looking at mirroring IPSC.  CO might end up turning into IPSC Production Optics, and LO might end up with major power factor.  IPSC is a slow bureaucratic dinosaur that takes an incredible amount of time to make any changes, which would align with pushing out to 2025.

If they're gonna have two divisions, they need to provide more differentiation than 'magwell and different trigger'.

I'd prefer a hard and fast number for capacity vs the cram-another-round-in tail-chasing, but some people seem to like that.

15 hours ago, RJH said:

Or they could be just kicking the can down the road until all the dust (hopefully) settles from all the drama and turmoil.  The board hasn't been able to put enough attention on normal shooting stuff.  

"it's going ok now... let's give it another year and see. All in favor?" is about the easiest board vote ever.

Like other 'temporary' laws, it gets another year to cement itself into place and calcify.

Hey should do what should have been done at the start. There never should have been a carry optics division. It should have been Production Optics with the only difference being the slide mounted optic. 

Same with Limited Optics. It should be exactly the same as Limited, but with a slide mounted optic. Heck, might as well even have a Limited-10 Optic Division. 

Easy peasy, simple as pie. I don’t understand why this wasn’t the clear choice from the beginning. 

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

they did,,, and no one shot CO because people didnt want to load 10 rounds in their guns that held 20..

And yet it worked in IPSC with 15 rounds…. 

USPSA screwed up the divisions, IPSC generally only changes rules in conjunction with a World Shoot (every 3 years). USPSA changes them too frequently in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

they did,,, and no one shot CO because people didnt want to load 10 rounds in their guns that held 20..

Yup, and then they went an ruined Production by going to 15 rounds.  I bet at 15 rounds, Production Optics would be as popular as it is now.  But, I'm definitely biased towards my own desires.

11 hours ago, MHicks said:

I just don't see a lot of current shooters in CO being happy to dial the mag round count back to 15.

Especially not after spending all that money on +5 base pads for all their standard capacity (15-20 round) magazines!

11 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

This thread is funny. Everyone wants change so long as it doesn’t affect them personally. 

There's some truth to that. But it seems different to me when you add a division like LO, for example. Shooters can decide to stay where they are or move to that division if they like.  If you take a current very popular division , CO, that many have been shooting for years and suddenly change mag capacity down to 15, that's a whole different level of change.

21 minutes ago, MHicks said:

There's some truth to that. But it seems different to me when you add a division like LO, for example. Shooters can decide to stay where they are or move to that division if they like.  If you take a current very popular division , CO, that many have been shooting for years and suddenly change mag capacity down to 15, that's a whole different level of change.

CO had pretty much turned into a catch all before LO was introduced. 

if you created the divisions from scratch today things would be a lot different.

The problem now is, people are too personally invested and don’t want to change.