Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meeting Agenda

BadShot

I see that there is an item on the January 22nd USPSA board meeting agenda that says they will be discussing revolver division rules changes.  Any idea what they going to discuss?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BadShot said:

I see that there is an item on the January 22nd USPSA board meeting agenda that says they will be discussing revolver division rules changes.  Any idea what they going to discuss?

Interesting.  

Off of the top of my head ( or perhaps from a lower region, as I have 0 data)I'd hazard 3 guesses:

Nixing Revo division due to limited ( 1% ish) participation

Scoring Revo major for minor bring it somewhat closer to parity with the *only* other lo-cap division: Single Stack (3% ish)

Allowing dots in Revo.

In sure there are other possibilities, but that's all I can pull out of my... Head... At the moment.

Hopefully someone comes along with some actual data 

Jason

Locally we ran a revolver category at our December match.  I promoted it and we had 6 total.  2 of us shot open division, I even shot a dot with real magnums.  We had 2 extra over our usual suspects and and 8 shot iron sight minor revolver won.

It didn't cost us and had up to 5 who expressed interest in shooting their dot revolvers and didn't due to health issues.

Personally i am on the fence.  I shoot better with irons, but could see an upside if I committed to dots.

This is the first I've heard though.  I run a poll here several years ago on this subject and it was 50-50 on support.

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Locally we ran a revolver category at our December match.  I promoted it and we had 6 total.  2 of us shot open division, I even shot a dot with real magnums.  We had 2 extra over our usual suspects and and 8 shot iron sight minor revolver won.

It didn't cost us and had up to 5 who expressed interest in shooting their dot revolvers and didn't due to health issues.

Personally i am on the fence.  I shoot better with irons, but could see an upside if I committed to dots.

This is the first I've heard though.  I run a poll here several years ago on this subject and it was 50-50 on support.

I'm quite excited about this.  OSR and RFPO with my 617 are my favorites in Steel Challenge.  The times I've ran "open" in USPSA with a Revo are equally fun.  

Despite the fact my trigger pin is currently broken on my 627 5 inch, I slapped a dot on my 4 inch 625 and that's what I'm shooting tomorrow 

I ordered a 627 4 inch which will arrive in a few days:  I'll polish it , spring it, dot it and run it for everything.  

That'll give me time to get my 5 inch fixed and dotted up, too.

I'm just going to shoot dotted Revo now.

I'm stoked.

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

I had finally settled on shooting my 9mm single stack with a dot in Limited Optics.  If they allow dots in revo, I might have to revisit this.  I really didn't like shooting my revo in open.

43 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I'm quite excited about this.  OSR and RFPO with my 617 are my favorites in Steel Challenge.  The times I've ran "open" in USPSA with a Revo are equally fun.  

Despite the fact my trigger pin is currently broken on my 627 5 inch, I slapped a dot on my 4 inch 625 and that's what I'm shooting tomorrow 

I ordered a 627 4 inch which will arrive in a few days:  I'll polish it , spring it, dot it and run it for everything.  

That'll give me time to get my 5 inch fixed and dotted up, too.

I'm just going to shoot dotted Revo now.

I'm stoked.

Jason

I would wait and see even if they do it might not be effective for a while.  Or it could start pronto.

If it did I would probably try it exclusively for a while.

3 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

I would wait and see even if they do it might not be effective for a while.  Or it could start pronto.

If it did I would probably try it exclusively for a while.

I'm okay with a delay.  I've been looking for an excuse to focus on a dotted Revo:  now I have it!

Jason

I suspect the BOD is discussing rule changes to Revolver Division without seeking any input whatsoever from those of us who actually participate in that division.  

Can anybody prove me wrong?  MWP, did anybody talk to you about this?  

30 minutes ago, Carmoney said:

I suspect the BOD is discussing rule changes to Revolver Division without seeking any input whatsoever from those of us who actually participate in that division.  

Nope.

Guys:

Yes, they did solicit input.  IIRC -- a good eight months ago when the nominees for the Board were proposed to the USPSA members.  It was a block where you wrote in your recommendation.  I recommended optics for revolvers in all USPSA events where they are allowed for handguns.  

GG

18 hours ago, Carmoney said:

It’s no big deal you can always write an email to your area director to let your opinion known. Oh wait…

Snide comment aside, I don’t like the idea of dots. I understand that as the youngest Revo shooter at 55, my eyes haven’t gone yet. But I think irons are more true to what I think the point of the division is: mastery of gun handling skills.

Regardless, if dots are allowed it’ll kill ICORE Limited me thinks.

On 1/20/2024 at 6:48 PM, Carmoney said:

Good to see you back posting Mike, I hope all is well with you.

I am not aware of who the current USPSA officers are, or president. Do any of them have a classification in revolver at all or shot a revolver in USPSA? 

Edited by Pseudonym

On 1/20/2024 at 9:48 PM, Carmoney said:

I think the agenda says Russ A8D brought it up. He's a open shooter, but he's also a RM and works a ton of matches.  He's local and pretty good on the rules. I'd suspect he has a reason for it. 

What should happen, is the same thing that happened with production going to 15. The BOD should discuss it and it needs to go to the members for input for a certain amount of time before it would get voted on by the BOD. We should see information and maybe polls over the coming months with a vote at the end of the year to go into effect in 2025. 

A lot of speculation there, because the BOD doesn't have a great track record for following their own rules. 

There is also a solid chance that it's something dumb that a AD was asked to bring up at a meeting. And they'll bring it up and discuss knowing full well they don't intent for it to go anywhere. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

23 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

Snide comment aside, I don’t like the idea of dots. I understand that as the youngest Revo shooter at 55, my eyes haven’t gone yet. But I think irons are more true to what I think the point of the division is: mastery of gun handling skills.

I like irons too, for a similar reason. I started in revolver because after a season of Carry Optics, I thought the dot in particular made it too simple to shoot competently.

Dots on wheelguns wouldn't be the worst thing, but I would grumble about the change. I have other guns to shoot when I want EZ mode vision.

I brought it up to Bruce6 in 2022 at the Alabama Sectional. He said it’d never happen. He’s gone now, so maybe there’s a chance. At 70, the eyes don’t do irons well at all.

Edited by tkheard

8 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

hilarious...in exec session almost immediately.

They do that way too much under the guise of confidentiality.