Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI +10 extensions

I picked up some +10s for my jp5 and have been getting consistantfailures to feed the first 2-5 rounds.

is there some type of break in procedure or something that im missing? Everything fed fine with the stoxk glock mags. 

im running 1.12 oal. Im assuiming something is happening at the transition from ext to mag?

The problem is the mag catch on Glock and several other mags.  The catch is only a depression, not cut through as on MBX Glock mags.  The additional weight of the metal extension and the extra 10 rounds is too much for your mag catch.  You insert the mag, load and fire.  The extra weight and the recoil jostles the mag  enough the next round won't feed.  If you hold the mag in, it will feed.  After you do this for 3-4 rounds, the mag is light enough to be retained in position by your mag catch.

You cannot solve this problem if using Glock 33-round mags as your base.  SMS mags won't work either.  Don't know about ETS 33-round mags.  I had exactly the same problem on my PCC.  I sold the mags and extensions and bought 40-round ETS mags.  They work 100%.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, zzt said:

The problem is the mag catch on Glock and several other mags.  The catch is only a depression, not cut through as on MBX Glock mags.  The additional weight of the metal extension and the extra 10 rounds is too much for your mag catch.  You insert the mag, load and fire.  The extra weight and the recoil jostles the mag  enough the next round won't feed.  If you hold the mag in, it will feed.  After you do this for 3-4 rounds, the mag is light enough to be retained in position by your mag catch.

You cannot solve this problem if using Glock 33-round mags as your base.  SMS mags won't work either.  Don't know about ETS 33-round mags.  I had exactly the same problem on my PCC.  I sold the mags and extensions and bought 40-round ETS mags.  They work 100%.

You're saying the $15 40rd ets mags are better than oem glock + tti?

How would something like the tf Goliath mags ever work if that were the case?

Edited by lroy
15 hours ago, zzt said:

Thats interesting. I guess my JP-5 didn't get that memo.

ETS mags are the only mags to give me an issue in any PCC, and then its only when they are seemingly trying to digest a single grain of sand.

Prior to getting my JP-5 my AR9 had the issue of not feeding the first couple of rounds after I installed the TTI +10. it was the transition that was easily fixed. The 33rd with blended transition with the TTI +10's work perfectly in my JP-5.

15 hours ago, lroy said:

You're saying the $15 40rd ets mags are better than oem glock + tti?

By a long shot.  If the Glock EOM 33-round mags with extensions had worked in my PCC, I'd still have them.

3 minutes ago, mpeltier said:

ETS mags are the only mags to give me an issue in any PCC, and then its only when they are seemingly trying to digest a single grain of sand.

No clue why.  I clean mine once a year.  Six 17-rounders and three 40-rounders.  They do get dropped, but not often.

The problem is the mag catch on Glock and several other mags. The catch is only a depression, not cut through as on MBX Glock mags. The additional weight of the metal extension and the extra 10 rounds is too much for your mag catch. You insert the mag, load and fire. The extra weight and the recoil jostles the mag enough the next round won't feed. If you hold the mag in, it will feed. After you do this for 3-4 rounds, the mag is light enough to be retained in position by your mag catch.

You cannot solve this problem if using Glock 33-round mags as your base. SMS mags won't work either. Don't know about ETS 33-round mags. I had exactly the same problem on my PCC. I sold the mags and extensions and bought 40-round ETS mags. They work 100%.

Never had this issue either. I have 3 PCC Glock mag guns, all function perfectly with own Glock mags. The cheap Korean mags are not good. Magpie is so so.

I’d smooth the transistion between the extension and the mag body. I also fill my mags when new and leave them loaded for a while to set the spring. Not sure if this makes a difference.

I guess my JP5 didn't get the message either!  Glock mags and ETS mags work fine in mine.  I have a Taylor "Fattie" magwell on it and no mag problems with any mag or mag +extension.  My only issue has been getting a fully loaded magazine seated, so I just download one or two rounds.

Nolan

A couple additional data points - the ETS mags worked 100% for me in 3 guns - the Ruger PCC, MBX 9mm carbine, and my JP5.  Ironically, the MBX 140mm 9mm mag does not work well in either the MBX carbine or JP5 - the mag was rubbings and doesn't fall free without modification.  OEM Glock mags + Taylor Freelance basepads is what I run for classifier reloads off the belt.

I've been shooting Supervel PCC blitz recently which is 1.12 OAL according to the website. I've no issues with oem glock mags and TTI. That said, it sounds like everyone's guns have a preference. If Glock + TTI doesn't work in your setup, you might as well try some of the other options mentioned to see what works for you.

45 minutes ago, 42ATK said:

I hope it works for  you!!

I have three of these extensions and I have never tuned any part of the Glock mags before installing them.  I have used them sparingly over the last 2.5-3 years without issue.  But, yesterday the mag would not feed at all.  Luckily I noted it before my stage run started so I could switch to another mag which ran fine.   It might be the spring, but I will tune the mags before installing the extension moving forward.  

I must be doing something very wrong. I followed along with that video and sanded down transition, but I get consistant failures within the round 35-40 where the round stove pipes instead of feeding.

IMG_6224.thumb.jpeg.cfb85500018d0e284787c1f1e6cc110d.jpeg

No issues with the base glock mags at all so I'm not sure what I'm not doing correctly.

Did you perhaps use pliers to squeeze the mag body to remove the basepad? Could’ve crushed the body enough to cause the follower to bind.

Do you get this failure when hand cycling a full mag? Or is only during live fire?

I’m not implying any user error. Just brainstorming a bit.

I have recently picked up a TTI +10 and it’s been working with no issues without having to blend or break in the OEM 33 round mag. My TF Goliath also works with no problems.

ETS worked in mine until after the last round when the bolt picked up the follower and shoved it into my breech. My bolt goes over the follower of Glock mags as it should.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, tt350z said:

Did you perhaps use pliers to squeeze the mag body to remove the basepad? Could’ve crushed the body enough to cause the follower to bind.

s#!t I did. Those stupid tabs wouldn't give. I'll measure the bodies and see If I deformed them.

Edited by lroy
On 12/31/2023 at 2:20 PM, lroy said:

I picked up some +10s for my jp5 and have been getting consistantfailures to feed the first 2-5 rounds.

is there some type of break in procedure or something that im missing? Everything fed fine with the stoxk glock mags. 

im running 1.12 oal. Im assuiming something is happening at the transition from ext to mag?

What bullet profile and weight? Some profiles are more forgiving going through the transition and bullet column weight can contribute to that issue. 

As has been said, some people have to blend the transition. I haven't personally done this. All of my TTI and TF extensions have worked out of the box. 

On 1/10/2024 at 10:51 AM, Mal223 said:

https://mygtul.com/press/gtul-glock-magazine-disassembly-tool/

Once I found this mag disassembly kit I haven't had any trouble with the Glock base plates. To me, worth every penny.

Back to topic, I had to add a TacCom feed ramp to the lower on my ATI MilSport PCC in order to get it to feed reliably. No feed issues since the install.

Correction, the Taccom feed ramp goes on the upper! I'm old, I forget stuff.🙂