Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

current best pcc Glock mag extension?

I was about to place an order with TTI as I gather pieces for my PCC build, but after doing some cursory research saw that there were issues with their extensions on PCC.  Is that still the case, and if so, what is the better option going forward?  I saw MBX and TF have extensions but Im seeing notes of issues with them too.

Edited by 18111811

The Taylor Freelance 41+1 kits were rock solid for me but that was after doing prep on the mag body and follower. You want to clean up any flashing inside the mag tube and around the skirt of the follower. TF wants you to taper the back of the follower slightly as well. In my experience if you can thumb out a full mag as fast as you can 2-3 times, that's a good indication the mag is ready for a range test for full confidence. 

Edited by CarRacer
9 hours ago, CarRacer said:

The Taylor Freelance 41+1 kits were rock solid for me but that was after doing prep on the mag body and follower. You want to clean up any flashing inside the mag tube and around the skirt of the follower. TF wants you to taper the back of the follower slightly as well. In my experience if you can thumb out a full mag as fast as you can 2-3 times, that's a good indication the mag is ready for a range test for full confidence. 

I have also had very good results with the Taylor Freelance Goliath mags. You need to follow their short video about how to prep them, and also keep your cartridge OAL under the size they tell you not to exceed. 

I've had great results with both TF 41+1 kit and the MBX Mini.  I have my TF extensions on Glock mags and my MBX on a ETS Mag.  Only Issue I've had has been with my Lowers.  My USPSA PCC has a Foxtrot Mike lower and it takes both Glock and MBX mags with issue.  My two other PCC's both with PSA Fx9 lowers will only reliably run with ETS Mags.

Taran Tactical, Taylor Freelance, MBX - outstanding - just watch the OAL of the TF - needs to be <1.125".  Taccom  57 runs fine but have not done much testing at full cap.  I use only Glock OEM mags but others seem to have luck with ETS.  

I think you should plan on "de-flashing" the mag bottom where it will transition to the extension on any of these.  I also relieve sharp edges on the follower.  

For what it's worth, the TF are by far the easiest to take apart after they've been assembled. 

The problem with mag extensions is weight.  That's the weight of the extension and the bullets contained.  Some mag catches are not robust enough to retain a Glock mag and extension with 50 rounds in it securely.  You fire the first round, then recoil jars the mag out of position and the next round is not stripped.  The mag doesn't fall out but will not feed a round until it is pushed back into position.

I gave up on them.  I now use three ETS 40-round mags with zero issues.  They are lightweight and reloadable.  You'll never need more than one mag for a USPSA course, unless it is a monster match.  Two will get you through the longest course (64-rounds) I've ever shot.  I routinely drop them partially full with no issues.

I don't have to hold the mag in while running the course.  Unlike several of the 50+ shooters I see.  They hold their mags in.  The additional length makes maneuvering troublesome.

If I couldn't use the ETS, I'd buy the longest MBX metal Glock mag and put their shortest extension on it.  Their mag latch feature is a hole, not a divot.  The mag catch can go fully into the mag.

Slight sidetrack, why do no PCC guys use the Magpul drum?  I see the d60s work well in 3 gun on ARs, but never see the PCC guys use the 9mm version in USPSA matches. I figure there is a reason, but idk what it is 

Max Leograndis used a drum at PCC Nats this year. I don't think it matters in the context of USPSA since the stages have a maximum of 32 rounds and Glock PCC mags + Extendos will get you to 40 easily. If you're taking more than 8 makeup shots a stage, you've got bigger problems than what magazine you're running 😅.  Drums cost more, weigh more, and don't work with some aftermarket magwells on certain platforms. From what I've seen locally, glock pcc mags + TT extensions have enough capacity and runs reliably, so why change it?

49 minutes ago, k2pichu said:

Max Leograndis used a drum at PCC Nats this year. I don't think it matters in the context of USPSA since the stages have a maximum of 32 rounds and Glock PCC mags + Extendos will get you to 40 easily. If you're taking more than 8 makeup shots a stage, you've got bigger problems than what magazine you're running 😅.  Drums cost more, weigh more, and don't work with some aftermarket magwells on certain platforms. From what I've seen locally, glock pcc mags + TT extensions have enough capacity and runs reliably, so why change it?

I didn't know if having the shorter drum could be an advantage. And I wasn't sure how much price difference there would be by the time you bought the extension, a spring and follower, and a mag tube. Especially if you're using mbx stuff at $140ish. With a little googling I just found a d50 for 75 bucks on sale but, most tend to be about 115 or so

Glock pccs mags are around $30, and the TT extensions are around $30 now on sale, so $60 total. You don't need to replace the follower and TT comes with extended springs. I'm sure in some rare cases, having a shorter mag could be an advantage, perhaps with a very low port or other props that would cause the big stick to snag on something, but 99.999% of the time, that won't be an issue. Prices vary for sure, but generally it's cheaper. It's also easier to carry 6 big sticks for a local match instead of 6 drums. Someone mentioned drums could be a nice addition to "prop" your gun up on table starts, but again, the time gains are minimal there. You might lose the same amount of time by not having a magwell on your gun for forced reload stages. In the end, I feel like there's no tangible performance difference. If you have a preference for one, or if you find one on sale, go for whatever floats your boat.

5 hours ago, RJH said:

Slight sidetrack, why do no PCC guys use the Magpul drum?  I see the d60s work well in 3 gun on ARs, but never see the PCC guys use the 9mm version in USPSA matches. I figure there is a reason, but idk what it is 

They’re expensive and a pain to load. 

Taran +10 with Glock big stick has been 100% for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not as sexy as what you guys are running but I have been running Kriss mag extensions.  I have only had an issue with Blazer Brass 147grn ammunition but that jammed up in the factory Glock 17 magazine and another time I tripped on a barrier and slammed the mag extension blowing the base out with the spring, follower and rounds (I hit it going all out).  I did bevel the base of the parent magazine as my only caveat.  

I would like to try the Taran since it looks like you are having good luck with it. 

On 11/22/2023 at 3:54 PM, Tampa-XD45 said:

Another vote for Taran Tactical:  https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/10-ultralight-base-pad-for-glock-pcc-9mm-30-31-33-round-oem-magazines/

I load mine to 42 or 43 (can't recall) and never had a problem.  I have 5 of them.

I received their black Friday sale email listing a discount code of BF35PARTS 

How easy is it to disassemble to clean in between stages if you happen to have to reload?

TTI +10 extensions on the Glock OEM big stick.  Install and shoot!

If I go to a 6 stage local match, I take 6 big stick mags!!  Load them all to 30 rounds the night before and make adjustments at the match.  Clean them when I come home.

Edited by WxGuy
On 12/9/2023 at 8:36 PM, k2pichu said:

TTI are toolless to disassemble and reassemble. There's a push pin that's friction fit that holds it on. Though with PCC, there's no reason to have to take apart your mags to clean between stages since you aren't dropping them.

I just did an outlaw match where they required 3 reloads in the stage.  A reload at each point.

On 12/9/2023 at 7:36 PM, k2pichu said:

TTI are toolless to disassemble and reassemble. There's a push pin that's friction fit that holds it on. Though with PCC, there's no reason to have to take apart your mags to clean between stages since you aren't dropping them.

did you grind off the glock tabs then? because you still have to pinch the magazine.

Or you fighting it and pushing hard on/off?

1 hour ago, mrvip27 said:

did you grind off the glock tabs then? because you still have to pinch the magazine.

Check out this 10 second video to see the pin.  You don't pinch the mag with an extension.

https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/10-ultralight-base-pad-for-glock-pcc-9mm-30-31-33-round-oem-magazines/

On 12/11/2023 at 1:56 PM, mrvip27 said:

I used some pliers and ripped out the tabs. Not sure if you have to or not. It was easy to do and I've no issues with taking off and putting on the extension.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:27 AM, Stefan77 said:

I just did an outlaw match where they required 3 reloads in the stage.  A reload at each point.

Cool story, but for USPSA, my point still stands as it has a max round count of 32 and a TTI extensions hold 40/41 rounds. If you're missing 8-9 shots on a USPSA stage with a PCC, you've got bigger problems than what mags you're using.