Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA participation

GOF

A drastic decrease locally. 

My local club is really the only IDPA club in the area. The next closest is 110 miles from me. The local club used to hold 6 matches a month and a State Championship. They got tired of IDPA rule changes and confusion. Now they run 5 matches under their own rules and 1 IDPA match. The state match didn't happen last year. Rumor is this year they're doing one but it's really intended to promote their own game which they'll be hosting a major for the day after. 

My already small local club is down from what it used to be.

The nearest affiliated match fell off during Covid and is only slowly building back up.

The next nearest match is less than it was, pre-Covid, when they were filling up.

So generally, down in attendance where I shoot. 

Since Covid there has been slow steady growth at our local IDPA match.

More recently there has been a noticeable increase. A lot of new shooters. And not all of them are total newbies.

There were 65 shooters at the recent match which included the 72 round classifier. More than half were unclassified and who I'd never seen before.

Our local USPSA matches have also had a fair amount of new shooters. Again, some have decent skills coming in. And one unclassified guy who will probably be M/GM by the end of 2024.

6 hours ago, ddc said:

Since Covid there has been slow steady growth at our local IDPA match.

More recently there has been a noticeable increase. A lot of new shooters. And not all of them are total newbies.

There were 65 shooters at the recent match which included the 72 round classifier. More than half were unclassified and who I'd never seen before.

Our local USPSA matches have also had a fair amount of new shooters. Again, some have decent skills coming in. And one unclassified guy who will probably be M/GM by the end of 2024.

Man, I wish one of our clubs would run the long classifier.  I only got to shoot it once in 2018.

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Man, I wish one of our clubs would run the long classifier.  I only got to shoot it once in 2018.

I had not shot it since the 5x5 was implemented.but maybe 5 times before that.

Also the original 90 round version also several times.

Much more comprehensive tests than the 5x5.

6 hours ago, ddc said:

I had not shot it since the 5x5 was implemented.but maybe 5 times before that.

Also the original 90 round version also several times.

Much more comprehensive tests than the 5x5.

Agreed.  Try as I might, I cannot shoot the 5X5 fast/clean enough to make MA.  I think I'd be better off with the long one.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

Overall I have seen a decrease in IDPA matches and attendance.

At my local club there is a very dedicated group that put on very high quality monthly matches.

They have had good attendance and it seems to be growing.

Same at my local. Solid MD's who make a serious attempt to stay in touch with the rulebook and good stages. Attendance has grown slowly over the past several years. Lately there has been a noticeable increase.

I find at least locally we have a good amount of fair weather shooters that shoot IDPA. During the warmer days we see matches fill up like crazy +50 shooter vs  the moment temps drop under 60s we'll get less then 50-75% participation. With USPSA shooter it usually have to get pretty nasty for people not to show up to match.

I decided to keep our weekly Monday night IDPA match on the schedule in spite of it being New Year's Day.

I was expecting about 30 regular shooters.

I've got 56 signed up.

We also have to go to twice a day matches (3pm and 6pm) in Jan, Feb and Mar to get all the seasonal shooters in.

AD