RedDotsOnly

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

Does minor suck? Or do people who struggle with that A zone just not like it? 

that is a reasonable question. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm pretty good at hitting the a-zone, and typically do a bit better in minor divisions. Nonetheless i often have more fun shooting major. It's fun to go fast, and it's fun to shoot more powerful guns (just like motorcycles, eh?).

However, back in the day I worked corner crew at a few roadbike races. One of the most popular divisions was the 250 4-stroke (mostly kawi ninja 250's), and those people had hella fun. Obviously there is also a place in racing for low-performance stock equipment for the people that like that sort of thing.

11 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Imagine needing major to go fast. 

Imagine not understanding the nuance of HF scoring and how pushing speed under major allows for higher overall HFs. 

Back to the thread.... 

$3500-$4000 for a new open gun will be hard to find right now. MPA offers one in the $4250 range and is the lowest I've seen for a purpose-built open gun in a few years. 

You can find good prices on used guns if you want to go that route.

If you are serious about this... I would buy a used 9 major gun... while also putting an order in for a 9 major gun with your preferred builder. If you really like open still after a little while, order a second custom 9 major gun and then sell your original used open gun you first purchased. Continue to buy new and sell the old as needed until Open is no longer fun to you. Then yard sale it all on enos. 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I can clarify this one: if you're shooting against major, or are looking at your spot in the overalls, minor does suck. If everybody's shooting minor then it's a non issue. 

I know that was not anything that took a lot of science to figure out, but it sure seems to come up a lot LOL

Instead of making everything minor scoring. Make everything major scoring. Except PCC. Unless they limit them to 170mm mags.

50 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Imagine not understanding the nuance of HF scoring and how pushing speed under major allows for higher overall HFs. 

Back to the thread.... 

$3500-$4000 for a new open gun will be hard to find right now. MPA offers one in the $4250 range and is the lowest I've seen for a purpose-built open gun in a few years. 

You can find good prices on used guns if you want to go that route.

If you are serious about this... I would buy a used 9 major gun... while also putting an order in for a 9 major gun with your preferred builder. If you really like open still after a little while, order a second custom 9 major gun and then sell your original used open gun you first purchased. Continue to buy new and sell the old as needed until Open is no longer fun to you. Then yard sale it all on enos. 

Imagine missing the joke. I like the way major changes the math of certain divisions. 

I shoot Open major.  Last match I shot 122 As, 15 Cs and 1 D.  Minor would only have dropped me 16 points.  Maybe I would have hit a couple more As with minor.  I shoot major because I like it.  I shoot minor at one club that scores their outlaw matches minor only.  It feels like cheating.

No one I know is moving from Open to anything.  I know several that have moved, or are planning to move to Open from CO.  LO is a thing.  I don't know what they moved from, if anything.  I only know two of them.  They are all well down in the overall.  I'm sure it varies by area.  However, at the USPSA clubs I shoot at, CO has the most shooters.  That is followed by Open, then Limited, then LO.  Production is dead.  There are usually only two at a match, although there were four two weeks ago.

As far as minor/major goes, CO and Open dominate the top 25.  There may be a springling of a couple Limited (GM an M) and one Prod M.  For good shooters who run fast and shoot accurately, I don't think minor/major matters.  There are lots of COs springled in with Open in the top 25.  Often, they win.

I do think minor/major matters at the very top.  At a recent match a GM Open shooter finished first in 76.41 seconds with 111 A, 32 C,4 D, 2 M.  The GM LO shooter (also a GM in CO) finished second in 77.27 seconds with 122 A, 22 C, 2 D, 0 M, 1 NS.   Major scoring sure helped the Open shooter.

After shooting open for a dozen plus years and getting a GM card I got kind of bored with it and started playing around in different divisions-- Limited (got a G there too), Single-stack, CO.  I'm back to Open now and major definitely matters between equally-skilled good (A/M) shooters.   It might be less clear if you aren't at that level what different strategies you can apply if you are shooting Major, but it's there.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:18 AM, CalTeacher said:

You bought a cheap used open gun.

Go price out a new one. What you paid is merely a deposit and the differences between an MPA and a Venom of Eddie Garcia gun are pretty staggering.

I’ve priced a new one.  I bought my Limcat new so yeah I think I know what prices exist.  But there isn’t anything wrong with my cheap back up and it was quite cost effective for what I wanted it for.  Maybe I should go look at having someone else do another one for me 🙄

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 3:39 PM, flyinverted said:

I have 2 open guns. SigP320-SpectreComp and a Czechmate.  They both operate like sewing machines. 4port comp on the CZ has much less muzzle rise. My first win in my division came with the P320. You can do it for well under 2k!

You're shooting major out of a specter comp?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's tough to beat the MPA DS9 for value. Custom gun with most parts built in house for around $4500. There are a few other options in that price range but they're mass produced. Some local gunsmiths might have a similar deal as well, but again you'll be buying parts and they'll be fitting them. Nothing really wrong with that though if it works it works.