Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup Open gun?

engineerjet

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I..agree.  Small.parts failures are.the most.often.cause.of.a.gun going.down.  Murphy says the part.that.goes.South is.the spare.you don't.have.with you.  Don't ask.

I shot a match a while back, two 1911 shooters on my squad were sharing a mag catch. 

• 1 month later...

Oh, I would say having a clone would be the best. But I agree that a back up custom open gun may not be as financially feasible, especially if you were not traveling a lot for major matches. I would definitely say keep an eye out on the used market. Seeing a number of good gunsbBeing sold for whatever reasons. Then pick out which one of the two you like better and make it your primary.  IMO, if it’s time for you to break out your back up gun, you’ve probably already dropped a Stage and for most locals or level twos… it’s just then at that point trying to finish the match you paid for. 

14 hours ago, drdre352 said:

Oh, I would say having a clone would be the best. But I agree that a back up custom open gun may not be as financially feasible, especially if you were not traveling a lot for major matches. I would definitely say keep an eye out on the used market. Seeing a number of good gunsbBeing sold for whatever reasons. Then pick out which one of the two you like better and make it your primary.  IMO, if it’s time for you to break out your back up gun, you’ve probably already dropped a Stage and for most locals or level twos… it’s just then at that point trying to finish the match you paid for. 

I agree with this. If you're not a serious participant in Major matches throughout the year, then its not worth it IMO for locals. If your gun goes down during a local, eat the $30 match fee and go home. Order your parts and get it fixed. 

9 hours ago, Bigzona said:

I agree with this. If you're not a serious participant in Major matches throughout the year, then its not worth it IMO for locals. If your gun goes down during a local, eat the $30 match fee and go home. Order your parts and get it fixed. 

Not me.  I only get to shoot in three local matches a month.  I want to finish all of them.  So I have a clone for a backup.

Get one, shoot the crap out of it.  When you think it's halfway worn out, order another one because by then you should have shot enough to be good enough to have a need for it and your ammo/match costs will have far exceeded whatever another pistol costs.  Keep using the old one as a practice/backup gun.

I get to use my backup gun for more than just backup.  At my home club we have a 15-16 week evening steel league, plus hostage pin and outlaw action/steel matches twice a month.   Everything is scored minor.  I have two complete recoil setups in the bag.  9 lb. for major and 6v lb. for minor.

I shoot 131 PF reloads or factory for minor.  Comp doesn't work.  Not a big deal.  Same POI as major.   I get to use it for 33 extra matches.  It is a big help for USPSA and SCSA.

LoL.  Now that I think about it, I'm putting more wear on my backup than my main gun.

There's a couple ways you can go if you have two nearly identical guns-- "wear level" them by shooting them about the same amount each and having one backup the other and both being about the same, or match/practice where you shoot the practice gun much more to keep the main gun in better shape, then once the practice gun is completely trashed, get another and rotate the match gun to practice duty.

On 7/17/2023 at 9:34 AM, shred said:

If you're going to be serious about training live-fire, you'll be needing a second practice gun before long anyway, so rotating them from match to backup/practice periodically isn't too much of a burden and you can get by with spare parts and borrowing until you have two.

Live fire practice with 1 Open gun running 38SC was not all that enjoyable. After 2-3 mags I'd have to put it in a cooler filled with ice just to cool it off. Texas summer didn't help, but rotating would have been far more enjoyable. 

Going to Nationals with 1 Open gun for 2 shooters made me a bit nervous but it ended up being fine. For every other match I'll travel with identical backups. Either way, if you're spending ~$2k to attend a match, a backup gun should definitely be ready to go. 

On 7/16/2023 at 9:35 PM, Sarge said:

For a last ditch replacement especially if you traveled very far, just take the Glock with minor ammo. You’ll AT LEAST be able to finish the match

yeah you've already zeroed a stage with the dead gun.  even shooting your carry gun would let you enjoy the rest of the match. just have that and a couple boxes of ammo for it back in your car.  obviously would need to switch out holsters.

but the once or twice i did have a gun die on me, i was so pissed off that even with offers to shoot other squad member's guns, i just stopped shooting and RO'd the rest of the match.

Ever since I lost a front sight during a match, yes the entire front sight assembly, I've always brought backups. A somewhat close clone to what your primary is would be a nice. The trunk for 3 gun is ridiculously packed full but better to have and it not need it scenario. 

Absolutely necessary!

Way back when I went to the 1990 Nationals, when we shot single stack, iron sighted 38 supers. I had identical pistols. Ramped barrels were just being discovered, of course, I had non-ramped Barsto’s. 
half way through the match, I sheared the lugs off my primary. Luckily, I had a twin, made the switch with CRO approval, and continued.

It would have really sucked to go home from Quincy, IL.

I ate a stage but was able to continue to a decent finish….