Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maxim Defense Roller-Delayed Blowback Buffer?

22 minutes ago, NyRey87 said:

Anyone have a discount code for Blitzkrieg? Looking to order a Hydraulic Buffer and spring 

They’ve been doing sales often. Sign up for their email list and wait until this weekend to see what happens.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/23/2023 at 11:18 PM, Mo Zee said:

I run it in my GMR15. Love the way it works. I shot the Scheel Gen 1, Kynshot and SCS back to back in the same firearm. I preferred the Scheel but the Kynshot was an extremely close second for me, YMMV. My load is about 137pf using VVN320 with a 124gr coated bullet. 

I probably have about 10k through it with the scheel and broke a bearing on it. This perhaps one of the only reasons I will change to another system, but really dont want to splash on another system, especially considering out exchange rate on this side of the pond. Therefore I am considering it a consumable and will change it out periodically. 

Do you know what the Scheel buffer weighs? It would be interesting to know how much weight one could save if switching from a heavy bolt/buffer to the Sceel gen2. 

I have the scheel gen 2 in one PCC and I also have a JP-5. The scheel is softer than the TACCOM set up I had in it prior, but I really don't care for the Scheel as the soft spring it comes with is right on the edge of reliability. After just a few hundred rounds it gets really sluggish. 

The JP-5.......yeah, worth saving for. The scheel and taccom are not even in the same league.

16 hours ago, mpeltier said:

I have the scheel gen 2 in one PCC and I also have a JP-5. The scheel is softer than the TACCOM set up I had in it prior, but I really don't care for the Scheel as the soft spring it comes with is right on the edge of reliability. After just a few hundred rounds it gets really sluggish. 

The JP-5.......yeah, worth saving for. The scheel and taccom are not even in the same league.

Do you know the weight of the scheel gen2 buffer?

9 hours ago, Bjarte said:

Do you know the weight of the scheel gen2 buffer?

JP-5 buffer = 4.8 oz

Scheel Gen 2 = 6.2 oz

TACCOM = 7.0 oz 

KAW 7.5 = 7.8 oz

One interesting observation is in my 4 PCC's The softest shooting to the least soft shooting runs straight along with the weights of the buffers. Meaning lightest buffer is softest and so forth to the least soft being the heaviest. I listed them in that order also. All with the same ammo.

Edited by mpeltier
10 minutes ago, mpeltier said:

JP-5 buffer = 4.8 oz

Scheel Gen 2 = 6.2 oz

TACCOM = 7.0 oz 

KAW 7.5 = 7.8 oz

One interesting observation is in my 4 PCC's The softest shooting to the least soft shooting runs straight along with the weights of the buffers. Meaning lightest buffer is softest and so forth to the least soft being the heaviest. I listed them in that order also. All with the same ammo.

More mass isn’t always the best. Especially with PCC specific loads. 

I run my gun with the Blitz 5020ss without the bolt weight. Really prefer that impulse. 

On 6/23/2023 at 11:57 AM, Dirty_J said:

I’m not convinced the Scheel can be tuned better than a Kynshot. I shot one for the 2nd half of last season when I came on with Davinci. Just because it was one of the few buffer I hadn’t tried. Shot the Kynshot for 2 years prior… gave the scheel a sporting chance… it didn’t wow me… back to Kynshot. Don’t regret that one bit.

But you’re 100% right on the operation window. It’s small. Set it to your load and don’t change ammo! 

Factor in the cost difference… and I can’t see the Scheel being a viable option. Even if it’s “marginally better”… which it is not… is it worth double the price? Nah. No way.

This is probably why I was totally ignored when I wrote to Scheel multiple times to ask how their buffer system compares to the Kynshot (which I have in my GMR-15) in performance.  After absolutely no response, I said to myself that I would never buy anything from him/them. 

On 6/23/2023 at 2:18 PM, Mo Zee said:

I run it in my GMR15. Love the way it works. I shot the Scheel Gen 1, Kynshot and SCS back to back in the same firearm. I preferred the Scheel but the Kynshot was an extremely close second for me.

On 6/30/2023 at 3:25 PM, mpeltier said:

I really don't care for the Scheel as the soft spring it comes with is right on the edge of reliability. After just a few hundred rounds it gets really sluggish.

Both are good to know. 

Edited by telligentgunner
On 6/22/2023 at 5:50 AM, erwos said:

Apparently these got released for purchase a couple weeks ago, and have begun shipping:

https://maximdefense.com/product/244978/

I ordered one for a legacy QC10-style AR-9 (currently using a TACCOM 3-Stage), which is an old favorite of mine. Hasn't shipped yet. I am intrigued because it seems like a more drop-in solution than Scheel's. OTOH, unclear if it has the same configurability, or if it's short stroke out of the box. I expect probable early-adopter shenanigans, but this isn't my primary PCC anyways (I use a pair of MPXs for matches).

Any update?

My rifle has the normal Blitz set up with a MBX super light 10-1/2" barrel,

125 gr. 130 pf loads. Very soft, 2" double taps at 20 yds or better on a good day.

I installed the Maxim RDB in my rifle length stock. I put in a 2-5/8 spacer to make the RDB fit flush with the back of the bolt

when closing the gun. Perfect.

I am old and weak with shoulder problems. Really!

I had to charge the gun using both of my hands holding the gun against my stomach. Forgot, my gun has a side charging upper.

Fired the gun. Wow, very nice! Very light recoil, great double taps. Better than my normal set up.

I took the buffer out, oiled it to see if it would charge easier, nope.

Now it sets on my bench hoping I can come up with an idea to make it charge easier.

I live in a 10 rd state so I have to be able to make quick reloads so easy charging is a must.

On AR15.com there’s a 7 page thread on these

one thing that was mentioned was preloading the buffer made it easier rack

which I kinda took as they rotated the buffer tube 1 turn in to force the bcg to slightly force the buffer open

1 hour ago, rishii said:

On AR15.com there’s a 7 page thread on these

one thing that was mentioned was preloading the buffer made it easier rack

which I kinda took as they rotated the buffer tube 1 turn in to force the bcg to slightly force the buffer open

Sure. But that means you’re also partially depressing the roller. 

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a RDB.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, NyRey87 said:

Any new reviews on this? Still curious about it 🤣

I'm still waiting on mine to arrive.  I ordered 6/24 and sent an email for an update exactly 1 month ago on 8/11.  I did get a return phone call rather than an email.  I don't remember the specifics but they are "working on it".

I bought one from Optics Planet about a month ago and installed it in my GMR-15 with a Hiperfire Eclipse.  It definitely shoots softer than the SCS I was using.  I'm having issues with it firing, loading a fresh round, but not cocking the hammer, or possibly hammer follow, I'm not sure which.  It happens every time on the very first mag, very first shot.  Then, it runs like it's supposed to, but with sporadic no fires.  I eject a live round, then continue shooting.  I don't think it is the fault of the Maxim, probably the Hiperfire and my load.  My load is a 115 gr. Berry's with 3.8 gr. of Sport Pistol.  I' m going to try going up to 4.1 Sport Pistol.  I'm also going to try to raise the pressure with a 124 gr. bullet and 4.4-4.8 grs. of CFE.  I'll let you know how it goes.

It is definitely harder to pull the charging handle.  Nothing unmanageable, just harder.  I really like the Maxim when my gun is running like it's suppose to.  But again, I don't think my problems are caused by the new buffer.

4 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I'm still waiting on mine to arrive.  I ordered 6/24 and sent an email for an update exactly 1 month ago on 8/11.  I did get a return phone call rather than an email.  I don't remember the specifics but they are "working on it".

Ditto

i ordered mine on 06-18, also sent a email a month ago and got the call and he said they should get their next batch in about 10 days, he further offered cancel my order without the restocking penalty which I declined mainly because our range is being used by the EPA as a hazmat staging area from the Lahaina fire and it’ll be months before it reopens