Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maxim Defense Roller-Delayed Blowback Buffer?

Apparently these got released for purchase a couple weeks ago, and have begun shipping:

https://maximdefense.com/product/244978/

I ordered one for a legacy QC10-style AR-9 (currently using a TACCOM 3-Stage), which is an old favorite of mine. Hasn't shipped yet. I am intrigued because it seems like a more drop-in solution than Scheel's. OTOH, unclear if it has the same configurability, or if it's short stroke out of the box. I expect probable early-adopter shenanigans, but this isn't my primary PCC anyways (I use a pair of MPXs for matches).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Looking forward to a review.  $190 for the Maxim vs $300 for the Scheels.

It’s $350 MSRP for the Gen 2!!!

This looks to be a very interesting part. Hopefully it has some adjustment on the lock time… or it’ll struggle to work with a variety of load types and barrel lengths. 

2 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

It’s $350 MSRP for the Gen 2!!!

This looks to be a very interesting part. Hopefully it has some adjustment on the lock time… or it’ll struggle to work with a variety of load types and barrel lengths. 

I emailed customer service to find out if there is a way to adjust the lock time, will report back when I get an answer 

It’s either designed for shorties… and won’t have lock. 

or it’s designed for 16” guns and will have too much lock time for competition type loads. A bummer for sure. 

I don't think I’ll roll $200 on it to see.  Way too many variables in a blowback gun… for it to work well for all. 

9 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

It’s either designed for shorties… and won’t have lock. 

or it’s designed for 16” guns and will have too much lock time for competition type loads. A bummer for sure. 

I don't think I’ll roll $200 on it to see.  Way too many variables in a blowback gun… for it to work well for all. 

Only time will tell, their response to me was

There are not adjustable settings on our RDS’s systems at this time.  That barrel length will work fine with the RDS.

In regards to use with my 8” GMR-15

Just now, NyRey87 said:

Anyone have experience with the Scheel system?

It’s cheaper than buying a Jp5 or mp5

I’m still going to save for one of those models 

I don’t think they’re worth it personally. Hydraulic buffer with the appropriate spring for the barrel length is money. 

I ordered one last week when they were on sale, I was also concerned if it’ll run with my competition load and I’ll compare it to my taccom 3 stage I’m currently running

there’s a thread on ar15.com and if you skip to page 3, someone testing it with the short CQB tube.

Edited by rishii
4 hours ago, NyRey87 said:

Theres a multi page thread on here about the scheel. 

I havent used one but the impression I got was that it can be tuned to be better than a kynshot but has a much narrower operating range, whereas the kynshot works well across a much wider ranger. 

But nothing except a mpx compares 

to the JP5. 

1 minute ago, Z-Chaos-Factor said:

I havent used one but the impression I got was that it can be tuned to be better than a kynshot but has a much narrower operating range, whereas the kynshot works well across a much wider ranger. 

to the JP5. 

I’m not convinced the Scheel can be tuned better than a Kynshot. I shot one for the 2nd half of last season when I came on with Davinci. Just because it was one of the few buffer I hadn’t tried. Shot the Kynshot for 2 years prior… gave the scheel a sporting chance… it didn’t wow me… back to Kynshot. Don’t regret that one bit. 

But you’re 100% right on the operation window. It’s small. Set it to your load and don’t change ammo! 

Factor in the cost difference… and I can’t see the Scheel being a viable option. Even if it’s “marginally better”… which it is not… is it worth double the price? Nah. No way. 

29 minutes ago, Z-Chaos-Factor said:

to the JP5. 

I think I’ll put a Hydraulic in the GMR for now and just save for a jp5 

I called to see if it could be used in a rifle length stock if I used the correct spacer.

First guy I talked to did not know there was a stock longer than a carbine one.

Second guy seemed to be confused until I told him about using a 2-5/8 spacer.

Going to save my money until I have information from shooters that have tried them.

I talked to two different individuals about the system.  Neither knew much about it, and some of what they did know was incorrect.  I sent an email with a list of questions.  I was told it would be sent to the Engineer for answers.  I got partial answers back.

Here is the germane part of the conversation.  

“… one thing right off the bat is that it does increase the force to charge the weapon system, you must overcome the delay to charge it. We do not currently offer different springs for tuning. For reference, our MD9 with a CQB RDB system had a 7% reduction in bolt velocity and a 20% reduction in the kinetic energy of the moving bolt assembly. This was compared to our CQB pistol buffer.”

I ordered the carbine length unit.  I was told it operated the same.

I tried the Scheel Gen 1 roller delay system.  Did not like it.  It didn't do what they said it should.

I tried the Taccom Magnetic Delay buffer system, Gen 2.  You have to do a LOT of experimenting to tune that system to your load.  Once you do, it is essentially useless for any other load.  I shoot three different PFs, depending on the match.  I was not willing to reconfigure the buffer every time I switched loads.  I will note it does do what is claimed.  It definitely does delay bolt opening.  That keeps you gun a LOT cleaner than straight blowback.

My preferred buffer system is the Blitzkrieg Standard hydraulic buffer, with their short stroke slug and a 308 carbine spring for factory 130 PF loads.  I leave the 3 oz. weight in the bolt.  I switch to a 556 carbine spring for lighter loads.

I ordered the carbine length version of the RDB.  I used the HEAT15 code to get 15% off.  I'll give this a fair shake.  Since the weight of the carbine length system is about the same as the Blitz buffer and slug, the only thing I'll have to give up is the 3 oz. weight in the bolt.  Looking forward to testing.

6 hours ago, NyRey87 said:

I run it in my GMR15. Love the way it works. I shot the Scheel Gen 1, Kynshot and SCS back to back in the same firearm. I preferred the Scheel but the Kynshot was an extremely close second for me, YMMV. My load is about 137pf using VVN320 with a 124gr coated bullet. 

I probably have about 10k through it with the scheel and broke a bearing on it. This perhaps one of the only reasons I will change to another system, but really dont want to splash on another system, especially considering out exchange rate on this side of the pond. Therefore I am considering it a consumable and will change it out periodically. 

20 minutes ago, zzt said:

I tried the Taccom Magnetic Delay buffer system, Gen 2.  You have to do a LOT of experimenting to tune that system to your load.  Once you do, it is essentially useless for any other load.  I shoot three different PFs, depending on the match.  I was not willing to reconfigure the buffer every time I switched loads.  I will note it does do what is claimed.  It definitely does delay bolt opening.  That keeps you gun a LOT cleaner than straight blowback.

I would be keen to try this out as I only use one load for IPSC. but I am concerned about what more can go wrong with the system due to all the (moving) parts, but in addition I expect it to land here with shipping and duties for another 50% so experimenting becomes expensive. and then of course it becomes a really expensive paper weight if I dont use it. If you only had to use one load would it have been a good contender for your firearm?

13 hours ago, Mo Zee said:

If you only had to use one load would it have been a good contender for your firearm?

I think it would be best suited to sub-minor steel challenge loads.  My PCC is very light.